Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need to Increase Trigger Reach on S&W 642

Quote Originally Posted by GAP View Post
    Do any of the Altamont or VZ grips add width to the grip (compared to the factory grip)?

I would like to keep the grips short, but it looks like the only thing that would work are grips that wrap around the back. Every offering from Altamont or VZ appear to be either short and don’t wrap, or longer and wrap. Is either wrap around style shorter than the other?

The other option I saw was trying the Taurus brand grip that is short, but also wraps around the back. It looks okay...but, meh.

Any other options or recommendations based on what you own?
    Theres a guy on here who uses the taurus grips. Hes a LEO in some capacity. Pics should be in one of the j frame threads. He dimpled them for more purchase.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Crimson trace 405s give you a little more trigger reach, and the benefits of a laser. If you get them on amazon there should be a return window if you don’t like them.

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    If i was going to AIWB Id get the full three finger grip. They got some options that should give pretty good grip purchase.
    Hers one on top of the other. Not much difference.

Attachment 63636
    Thanks - that doesn’t appear to be all that much.. especially since I don’t pocket carry it.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    You probably won’t like this, but the Ergo Delta grip is the best thing that ever happened to my J frames.
    Interesting. Anyone else using these?

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by GAP View Post
    Thanks - that doesn’t appear to be all that much.. especially since I don’t pocket carry it.
    It really not but it makes a big difference in shooting.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Site Supporter
    I’ve got Pachmayr Compacs on one of my Jframes. They really make for more of a handful of grip when compared to boot grips, with a nicely covered backstrap and increased trigger reach. I also have a pair of Grippers that came along with a Jframe once upon a time. They are thinner side to side, but give a full grip and also cover the backstrap with increased trigger reach.

If you don’t cover the backstrap, even if you increase the girth of the grip, trigger reach won’t change too much.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Interesting. Anyone else using these?

Okie John
    I got one a while back, and like the feel, but lost the nut the grip screw threads into, haven’t replaced it yet, and didn’t have it long enough before I lost the nut to have done more than dry fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    I’ve got Pachmayr Compacs on one of my Jframes. They really make for more of a handful of grip when compared to boot grips, with a nicely covered backstrap and increased trigger reach. I also have a pair of Grippers that came along with a Jframe once upon a time. They are thinner side to side, but give a full grip and also cover the backstrap with increased trigger reach.

If you don’t cover the backstrap, even if you increase the girth of the grip, trigger reach won’t change too much.
    Makes sense, I’ll check those outs too - thanks!

Theres a guy on here who uses the taurus grips. Hes a LEO in some capacity. Pics should be in one of the j frame threads. He dimpled them for more purchase.
    Sigh, the more I look into it... looks like the Taurus grip is exactly what I want... I’ll have to pop that logo out and fill it or something.

Site Supporter
    Ive got a set on a j frame. I pocket carry them. Not as good for concealment as the boot grips but it works. I usually have my hand covering it in my pocket when Im out in public anyway. Its a full three finger grip.

Attachment 63635
    Name:  80DD9F7F-D980-4E50-B003-A1342302840C.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  28.4 KB
    These stocks were in a sack of revolver stuff I got from an estate last year. They pocket carry well and increased trigger reach. I took them off and put the UM boots back on after a twenty five round range session with my usual 158 grain practice handload.
    Downright painful and don’t want to change grips between the range and the street.
    I can easily do a fifty round session with the UM rubber boot grips.

User Tag List