Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Need to Increase Trigger Reach on S&W 642

Quote Originally Posted by JRV View Post
    I struggled with appropriate trigger reach on my 642. I really though that the cure was a boot grip with a covered backstrap. With the stock S&W stocks, my thumbs would interfere with the end of my trigger finger near full travel.

I belt-sanded the pinky groove off the bottom of a set of Uncle Mike’s Combat Grips. I tried Pachmayr Compacs. I tried Hogue grips. I did the Taurus grip mod.

After all that, the best and most consistent performance I got on the timer was with magnas and a BK Grips grip adapter (basically a polymer T-grip). I didn’t need a grip that was bigger, I just needed a grip that forced me higher on the backstrap while providing strong front-rear index points. Seems counterintuitive, but the short and narrow stocks somehow keep my thumbs out of the no-no zone. I get bit occasionally by the cylinder release, but my trigger finger can do what it do.

Not a fun set-up for shooting anything other than wadcutters or slow LRN loads.
    Pure GOLD
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    I love the way magnas and a tyler feel in my hand. I hate the way they feel when I shoot them.
    It's funny, they never bothered me in the 12 years or so I qualified with a model 36 and / or a model 15. Though I did prefer a pair of Pachmayr grips I put on the 36 in the last couple of years before I sold the gun.

Probably wouldn't like how the Magnas would feel now...

...but the Hogue rubber grips that came on my 642 suit me just fine. (A slightly larger grip for some added trigger reach would be even better, but it's not necessary.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Delta... Delta... Delta...
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I put a set of Altamont Bateleur walnut grips on my 442 and I’ve been happy with them so far. I too was looking for an increase in trigger reach/something for hand filling and these do the trick for me. I looked for wood grips that were the same length as factory grips but covered the backstrap and couldn’t find any reasonably priced. I went with the Altamont ones thinking I could cut them down if I wanted to but I haven’t needed to yet. If they are wider than factory grips it is not a significant amount. I mostly carry it AIWB so the length has not been a problem. The only issue I’ve noticed is they feel a little slick. Mine only have checkering on the sides, the offerings with texture on the back would probably solve that problem.

Name:  75B9D552-9BBC-4CCE-8E5F-C0E6FA2F8DC8.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  25.5 KB

Name:  361BD499-3A2D-4BD1-90A8-1376A7E1FEDD.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  86.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Pretty much any grip can be cut flush with the bottom of the frame, unless it's a Hogue that uses a stirrup on the pin to hold it on.

I resemble that remark.

The logo happens to be exactly the same diameter as a .38SPL/.357 case head, so you can just cut it off one of your favorite rounds and glue it in.

I thought we had a thread a couple months ago about them shutting down.
    You’re like a walking directory 😎 I looked at the Herretts thread not taking orders was attributed to a backlog. Their website is still up.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    The logo happens to be exactly the same diameter as a .38SPL/.357 case head, so you can just cut it off one of your favorite rounds and glue it in.
    That’s exactly what I did to the 642-1 that’s in my pocket right now.

*Whistles*

Name:  DF7F0CF7-5D73-4AE0-8BC9-BF2E7D55AD5A.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  85.3 KB

Old School trigger reach solution, ACE Trigger Shoe:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Flaig-Ace-T...YAAOSwiFhf8k5i

I'm not necessarily recommending but kind of cool.

Quote Originally Posted by medmo View Post
    Old School trigger reach solution, ACE Trigger Shoe:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Flaig-Ace-T...YAAOSwiFhf8k5i

I'm not necessarily recommending but kind of cool.
    Never used one but I've seen recommendations to only use them on range guns not carry guns. As I understand it, the trigger shoes push the trigger width out past the edges of the trigger guard introducing a higher possibility of snagging while holstering. Don't know if this is universal to all trigger shoes or a realistic concern but something I saw from more than one source researching them for a narrow triggered revolver a few years back.

What Half Moon said about trigger shoes is true. Also they are held in place with allen screws, those screws come loose from time to time and the shoe slides down the length of the trigger and lodges in the interior part of the trigger guard, binding the action of the weapon. I carried revolvers for a living from65 to 95 and trigger shoes were forbidden on every Dept or SO I worked on. The NRA Firearms instructors advised heartedly against them. Don't know how well they would attach and stay in place on MIM triggers.

User Tag List