Thread: Neat article about the ONG 870s

Neat article about the ONG 870s

Doing a bit of research on these old Ohio National Guard-marked 870s, I came across this article. It's got a lot of interesting photos of the guns during actual use (specifically in a prison riot in the 90s, and later when the ONG deployed to Louisiana for Hurricane Katrina response).

http://looserounds.com/2020/08/18/oh...-m870-shotgun/

These things were the deal of the decade, IMHO. The outfit selling them apparently had no idea how rare an actual, documented US martial shotgun is, and they offered them for something like $240 or so. They sold out in hours, and I only managed to acquire one through the generosity of some friends who knew how much I lusted after one.

These old 870s are smooth as silk, and run like a scalded-ass ape. It's a shame they don't make them like this anymore.

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

Great article, and I am sad I missed out on these when they were briefly available.

Quote Originally Posted by Norville View Post
    Great article, and I am sad I missed out on these when they were briefly available.
    I remember seeing them in stock and contemplating the purchase. I already have a couple shotguns that I own due to nostalgia reasons, and rarely shoot, including an Salt Lake City PD 1897 or it might have happened.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

I was aware of the original sale, and both folders and fixed stocks were avaiable at the time. I also knew the USGI nature of them and how awesome that was.

And I passed on buying any.

Stupid.

I have an 870 Wingmaster I purchased new in 1970. The first shotgun I ever bought and I still have it. I've probably had a dozen shotguns and sold them all except that one. They just never made a better utility shotgun than an 870 and the old Wingmasters were the crème de la crème.

Interesting story. Thanks for the link.
    Last edited by Borderland; 11-23-2020 at 07:26 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List