Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Accidental" NFA Firearm

The best bet would just be to shut the fuck up and realize it’s a 50+ year old piece of metal not a tracking device.

Wander down to a local FAT D office and confess? Destroy something of intrinsic value? No thanks

There’s a real case to be made for Less goody 2 shoes, more shutting up and keeping away from attention that would ever reveal an antique of questionable origin.

I really don’t know where this permission seeking mentality comes from.

No one is telling anyone to buy coat hangers off wish dot com.

This ain’t the same ball park

First rule of fight club.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    The best bet would just be to shut the fuck up and realize it’s a 50+ year old piece of metal not a tracking device.

Wander down to a local FAT D office and confess? Destroy something of intrinsic value? No thanks

There’s a real case to be made for Less goody 2 shoes, more shutting up and keeping away from attention that would ever reveal an antique of questionable origin.

I really don’t know where this permission seeking mentality comes from.

No one is telling anyone to buy coat hangers off wish dot com.

This ain’t the same ball park
    For some reason, this reminded me ot this scene...

Anyhow, appreciate the discussion. The question was posed to me more as a way of turning something not particularly useful in its current configuration into something more enjoyable/practical while still realizing it will never regain its historical value.

Quote Originally Posted by bajasr100 View Post
    Hypothetical question here (Mods please move/delete if inappropriate)

What is the best course of action if someone inadvertently creates an NFA firearm? With an AR, it is as easy as separating the upper from the lower; a shotgun is almost the same, just remove the barrel(s).
    Disassembly, for cleaning or storage purposes, does not create a new type of firearm. An AR15, without an upper unit, is minus a barrel, so cannot be an SBR. Same case with the shotgun; I am not committing a felony every time I remove the barrel.

One must exercise due care, if one has short barrels, or pistol/short-barreled uppers, to reassemble them onto the correct serialized receivers.

I would be additionally careful not to store disassembled parts, together, if they would be illegal if reassembled. For example, if I were to remove an AR pistol upper, from its pistol lower unit, I would keep it reasonably far away from any separated lower unit that belonged to an AR rifle.

This is my pragmatic, non-legal opinion, and is only in regard to that which I quoted.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Hypothetical question here (Mods please move/delete if inappropriate)

What if you have something that does not come apart so easily...say an early 92 or 94 Winchester that was converted to a mare's leg way back in the day? Destruction is not an option (well not a good one!). Could/should a gunsmith be able to remove the offending parts or would they be legally and/or ethically required to report?

Again, a thought exercise only!
    This part requires consultation with an attorney, who has the credentials to provide the answer. The average “family lawyer” will probably have no clue.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Here is a link to a non-NFA Winchester Trapper Carbine, with a 15” barrel, on the BATFE Curio & Relic list. (When it sells, the link will no longer work.)

https://www.collectorsfirearms.com/w...30-wcf-w10808/

Don’t tread on volcanos!

For some reason, this reminded me ot this scene...

Anyhow, appreciate the discussion. The question was posed to me more as a way of turning something not particularly useful in its current configuration into something more enjoyable/practical while still realizing it will never regain its historical value.
    Thanks.

My post wasn’t meant as an attack nor a needlessly cavalier suggestion

No one wants their dog killed.

But dirt is dirty and it’s all over the place. Someone digging up your tulip garden at random searching for the purest
    soil is unlikely to an extreme degree

Site Supporter
    @Duke

No worries, no offense taken (or meant) at all. My advice was actually pretty close to what you posted.

User Tag List