Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MIM Free or Minimal MIM Pistols (non 1911)?

MIM Free or Minimal MIM Pistols (non 1911)?

First off, Happy Thanksgiving Day, everyone.

I'm not a fan of MIM parts in firearms. The debate has been done to death,
    and I have no desire to repeat it here. What I would like to know is:
    if I wanted to buy a pistol (not a 1911) with no MIM, what line of pistols
    should I look at? I understand that the steel Kahrs and P line of poly framed
    Kahrs have no MIM. How about Beretta 92FS? I know there are a few steel parts covered
    in polymer. Are they MIM? They can be replaced with steel parts from Beretta.
    Any other brands or lines of pistols? I exclude the 1911s for two reasons:
    1. Personal preference
    2. This type of question quickly turns into a discussion of 1911 custom shops that
    don't use MIM parts.

Thanks,

Don

LTT 92

I've been interested to know whether current Beretta 92 variants have MIM in them or not. My research on the subject has not turned out much either way. So far the only pistol I own that I know doesn't have MIM in it is my Beretta 92S from the late 1970s. I like the way it shoots so much that I'm considering a new production 92 variant of some kind.

My understanding is the Beretta 92 series of pistols does not use MIM. There are parts that are plastic over-molded, but the steel skeletons are not molded. This is due to more when the pistol was designed than any issues with the process.

I am not aware of any other modern (currently produced) pistols, other than those from some 1911 manufacturers, that do not use the process. Indeed the process is well entrenched in pistol lines famed for high-round count durability such as Glock and the HK P30. Kahr also uses MIM parts, notably magazine catches and the slide stop levers on some models.

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    I've been interested to know whether current Beretta 92 variants have MIM in them or not. My research on the subject has not turned out much either way. So far the only pistol I own that I know doesn't have MIM in it is my Beretta 92S from the late 1970s. I like the way it shoots so much that I'm considering a new production 92 variant of some kind.
    I have a Sig P232 and P228 with no MIM. I also have a 2016 92FS Italian. I've replaced the poly-covered trigger with a Wilson short reach
    steel trigger. I also have a Kahr PM9, which has been great.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    My understanding is the Beretta 92 series of pistols does not use MIM. There are parts that are plastic over-molded, but the steel skeletons are not molded. This is due to more when the pistol was designed than any issues with the process.

I am not aware of any other modern (currently produced) pistols, other than those from some 1911 manufacturers, that do not use the process. Indeed the process is well entrenched in pistol lines famed for high-round count durability such as Glock and the HK P30. Kahr also uses MIM parts, notably magazine catches and the slide stop levers on some models.
    I'm thinking of sticking with the Kahr PM9 for CCW and a Beretta 92X Centurion for HD.

CZ P-07 with a CGW ProGrade kit.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Good topic.

Are there any suggested sources of info to learn more about MIM / good industrial processes to produce parts for high-reliability guns mentioned above such as Glock or HK? I’m hoping to learn more about what differentiates ‘good’ MIM parts vs ‘bad’, whatever that might be.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    CZ P-07 with a CGW ProGrade kit.
    That sounds interesting. Would that eliminate all the MIM parts?
    How hard is the P07 to work on?

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Good topic.

Are there any suggested sources of info to learn more about MIM / good industrial processes to produce parts for high-reliability guns mentioned above such as Glock or HK? I’m hoping to learn more about what differentiates ‘good’ MIM parts vs ‘bad’, whatever that might be.
    In my limited research, it seems that in-house MIM (HK, S&W, Glock(I think)) has higher CQ than outsourced (Sig).
    That would option 2 for me.

User Tag List