Thread: Just got a text from my boy who works at his family's gun shop...filled with rage

Just got a text from my boy who works at his family's gun shop...filled with rage

He scored a 1978 Colt Sporter in great condition for $180.

Yes, $180 in this market.

I'm not an AR guy, but I am triggered. 😜

Maybe pics tomorrow when I get over being a hater.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Ok, he threw in his recent build 10/22 on the deal too, but still...$300 ish for a '78 Sporter.

Bastard. 😇

At least I get to shoot it.
    NO EXCEPTIONS

more pics when my boy gets original furniture on it

Name:  1348945468149605183.jpg
Views: 846
Size:  101.2 KB

Name:  20201124_210651.jpg
Views: 850
Size:  44.7 KB

Definitely needs to get back to its roots!
    NO EXCEPTIONS

YUGE score!

I agree to replace the non-Colt parts (such as the grip) with genuine pieces the carbine came from the factory with.

Nice find and a keeper for sure!

Not to rain on the parade, but were A2 sights available in 1978?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Norville View Post
    Not to rain on the parade, but were A2 sights available in 1978?

No, they weren't and 1978 Colt AR's aren't marked "Sporter Target Model" Looks like a late 1980s or more likely early 1990s pre-ban lower. Still a good deal for the price.

Upper could be a mix/match. During the 1994-2004 AWB it was not uncommon for preban 20' rifles to be re-built into carbines since that was the only legal way to do so if you weren't LE.

The more I look at the photos, the more I notice the finish doesn't match. May well be a Colt upper but I don't think that thing left the factory that way.

Forge marks on the other side of the upper receiver will help tell if it is Colt.

What are the barrel markings ? A 1978 gun would have a 1/12 barrel. a 1/9 or 1/7 is definitely not a 1970s barrel.
    Last edited by HCM; 11-25-2020 at 03:51 PM.

Thanks guys!

So my boy's Google-fu may have issues...😃

Obviously working at a gun shop has it's perks.

I am still surprised anyone would be itching to sell an AR right now, but maybe the guy picked up a few while the price was down 4 years back?

Mostly now I'm "triggered" to thinking again about a pseudo A1 for myself, some day. Also been mulling over a .350 Legend build for no good reason than I want a modern day Model 8/.35 Remington-type semi, and it's the closest equivalent. Someday.....

I'm thankful we Americans realized we have a pretty great service rifle/carbine. (I have a Duncan Long book from the 80s where he spends much text explaining that the AR is "really quite accurate, I swear" and explaining changing opinions) It only took what, 30-40 years after we adopted the M16 for that to become the majority opinion? I have a feeling ARs will still be in American service, along with the B52, in the 2050s.
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Site Supporter
    If this thing has .170 fire control group it's a 1990 to 2010ish Colt lower receiver.

Pre 1990 and post 2010 have the standard .150 FCG pins as well as the NFA and LEO only guns.

Last edited by HCM; 11-30-2020 at 11:39 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    Thanks guys!

So my boy's Google-fu may have issues...😃

Obviously working at a gun shop has it's perks.

I am still surprised anyone would be itching to sell an AR right now, but maybe the guy picked up a few while the price was down 4 years back?

Mostly now I'm "triggered" to thinking again about a pseudo A1 for myself, some day. Also been mulling over a .350 Legend build for no good reason than I want a modern day Model 8/.35 Remington-type semi, and it's the closest equivalent. Someday.....

I'm thankful we Americans realized we have a pretty great service rifle/carbine. (I have a Duncan Long book from the 80s where he spends much text explaining that the AR is "really quite accurate, I swear" and explaining changing opinions) It only took what, 30-40 years after we adopted the M16 for that to become the majority opinion? I have a feeling ARs will still be in American service, along with the B52, in the 2050s.
    I have an A1 clone built on a Nodak spud set but If doing it over I would just get a Brownells A1.

User Tag List