Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Knife Lube

Longtime knife guy, my 2 pennies: most of mine I run dry. If it's getting sticky or gritty, it needs to be cleaned well with dish detergent and very hot running water.

If you felt like it needs it, a drop of whatever you have handy is fine. Any machine oil, I used to use RemOil, mineral oil for food use. Just rinse and wipe down after heavy use. Food/organic matter gets dish detergent and water, alcohol (ethanol wipes are super handy for this away from home, have multiple uses, isopropyl works in a pinch).

I usually leave carbon steel naked if it's being used often enough. Stuff in storage that is rust prone gets Renaissance Wax.

Another reason I leave mine dry is that virtually all of my folders are frame locks.
    Frame locks and Liner locks do not appreciate any oil or lubricant on the locking surfaces and oil will always migrate onto the lock face... Always.
    You can avoid that by using grease but that means taking the knife apart to apply it properly and that's just too much of a hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    Another reason I leave mine dry is that virtually all of my folders are frame locks.
    Frame locks and Liner locks do not appreciate any oil or lubricant on the locking surfaces and oil will always migrate onto the lock face... Always.
    You can avoid that by using grease but that means taking the knife apart to apply it properly and that's just too much of a hassle.
    I have not found this to be problematic, though I am careful with my application and have decades of experience doing so. In any case...mileage will vary from one person to another...and what is right for one is not necessarily right for another.

(I never over lube, but I do like to apply when I feel that the action is beginning to feel a bit less fluid.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    In any case...mileage will vary from one person to another...and what is right for one is not necessarily right for another.
    Agreed... Many of us have been "knife guys" for more decades than we want to consider and each of us has found our own system. And each of us is right in our own way. There is no One Answer.

Amazon.com: Hetman Light Rotor Lubricant 11 Light: Musical Instruments

I have played with oils designed for musical instruments for off label use and have found the #11 light rotor oil to be amazing at slicking up my Benchmades. Its not sticky and doesn't attract pocket lint or dirt. The oil is very thin and doesn't seem to stick around on flat surfaces but seem to have some staying power inside the pivot joint. A drop is all it takes to get the sluggishness out so a 1 ounce bottle should last a lifetime.

Just a drop or two of whatever gun lube is handy on the pivot.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Site Supporter
    Not sure how long this has been on the market but it seems our friends at Slip 2000 make a knife specific product.

http://www.slip2000.com/mm5/merchant...uct_Code=60380

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Dane View Post

I have played with oils designed for musical instruments for off label use and have found the #11 light rotor oil to be amazing at slicking up my Benchmades. Its not sticky and doesn't attract pocket lint or dirt. The oil is very thin and doesn't seem to stick around on flat surfaces but seem to have some staying power inside the pivot joint. A drop is all it takes to get the sluggishness out so a 1 ounce bottle should last a lifetime.
    Hmm...off to raid my trumpet case...

Chris

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Dane View Post

Oh, snap! I used to do that. I played French Horn from 5th grade till I was a senior and got braces (blood is bad for making music), and always had a bottle of rotary valve lube in my case, so all of my slip joint knives naturally would get that oil used whenever they needed lube since that’s what I always had handy.

"Snake Oil" now with even more snake.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List