Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any TV suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    TVs are commodities to me. I personally spend as little as possible while still getting the features that I want.

I have two lower end LG 55” 4K models that I like very much. The first one was purchased in 2016 for around $600 on sale, the second last year for under $300. The larger ones are under a K the last time I looked.
    This is me now. I once bought a Hitachi rear projection HDTV and it was a POS. Then I sprung for a new Samsung with all the 120hz, 1080p, the bells, the whistles and whizbangs. $2400 for 47". I've got it all out of my system finally. That Samsung is still running but I'll never spring for a big $$$$ TV again. They all piss me off by being slow to boot up, change channels, remotes are shit, sound like a cell phone on speaker and are just generally irritating. Doesn't matter which brand. I now buy the cheapest thing that has the specs I want and just trash and replace as necessary.

Site Supporter
    Progress made to date:
    I’ve managed to convince the wife that 65” is big enough.
    She has managed to convince me to drop TCL from the list as she would prefer to not buy from China.
    Until 5 minutes ago the front runner was an LG CX oled selling for $1900, but the Best Buy price for a Sony x900 led just dropped from 1400 to 1000, so pretty much at a tie right now between those 2.

Check out LG nanocell 90 series. It’s in your price range and very good picture in a bright lighted room. It is a step down from OLED in picture but still very good. I’ve been looking into that line, still trying to convince the wife we need the 86”.

Costco carries the LG nanocell 90 as the “91”, the only difference I can see is the stand/base is a different design. The 65” is under $1k.

https://www.costco.com/lg-65-class-nano91-series-4k-uhd-led-lcd-tv-$65-allstate-protection-plan-bundle-included.product.100658593.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

Site Supporter
    I would really like to see a side by side before spending 2x the money. I have no doubt the OLED is an excellent picture. Mt question would be is it 2x as good to my eyes in the lighting conditions I am most likely to be watching it.

rtings looks chock full of really good info in this realm.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Japanese made Sony.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Any TV suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    I would really like to see a side by side before spending 2x the money. I have no doubt the OLED is an excellent picture. Mt question would be is it 2x as good to my eyes in the lighting conditions I am most likely to be watching it.

rtings looks chock full of really good info in this realm.
    In my search so far, yes it’s a better picture in a dark tv room, not so much in a bright room. The LG nanocell 90-99 series with backlit led tech is almost as good of a picture with not as dark blacks but it is almost unnoticeable in a bright room. The nanocell performs better then the OLED in a bright room and if your not in a closed off tv room/theater room the nanocell is a better pick for less money in my opinion.

ETA: side by side picture comparison.

https://youtu.be/XVyBSwUoNuU

*fixed link

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by JM Campbell; 11-23-2020 at 04:48 PM.
    AKA: SkyLine1

Site Supporter
    Welp, earlier this week we were visiting friends who we knew were being as careful as we were Covid-wise, and it turns out they’ve installed a 65” oled in their bedroom. My wife (who was already getting kind of fixated on the idea of oled) took one look at it and said “I want!”

So, we’re getting an LG oled delivered on Tuesday. After research It’s about $900 more than I think we need to be paying, but there is no way I’m going to be able to use logic to change her mind. So instead of arguing about it, I’m caving in early to score points I can hopefully cash in next year on an extra firearms purchase. Plus, I get a really nice TV.

Site Supporter
    Thanks for the advice everyone. Just got the LG oled up and running. Wow it is an order of magnitude better than the 8 yr old plasma it replaced. I might have been happy with a cheaper option, but definitely happy with this and the wife approves.

As an aside the physical assembly was easy but the actual instructions were ludicrous. It’s like they were trying as hard as they could to make assembly complicated.

I got the LG CX 48inch OLED recently and its solid. Interestingly, it’s more expensive than the 55 inch of the same model due to how the panels are cut from the factory.
    “The lion cannot protect himself from traps, and the fox cannot defend himself from wolves. One must therefore be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves.” Machiavelli, The Prince

Site Supporter
    Thx for the update re OLED being better than
    Plasma. A great data point for the next living room TV when the 50 inch Samsung 720p from 2012ish goes bad.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

User Tag List