Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is there a large pattern AR thread?

Is there a large pattern AR thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Up1911Fan View Post
    Who do we like for mags for the AR10 pattern guns? Lancer? Magpul? Something else?
    The magpul m118 and standard have ran fine for me.

M118 if your loading long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Fineis View Post
    I *think* Ballistic Advantage makes the Aero barrels. I have one of their 14.5 Hanson barrels in 556 and it's a solid 1.25MOA gun out to 200yds. Fingers crossed.
    They do - Aero purchased BA a while back, IIRC.

Lots of good information and advice in this thread.
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Fineis View Post
    Thanks guys. Budget hasn't really been set but it's certainly not $4500.

I already have a bunch of AR parts in the bin and thankfully they are the ones that will crossover to the large pattern gun, so I can focus mostly on the big components. Difficult in this time but I'm not in a major hurry.

I was able to snag an Aero barrel and bolt today, and I'm waiting to try to hunt down one of their rails which are out of stock everywhere. I have a Larue trigger that will be going in, and bought a Surefire brake that will accept my 308 SF can, but if the gun won't run with the can that's not a huge concern. This will mostly be a hunting rifle because I like the way the AR carries in the woods both slung and unslung, I have FAR more time behind an AR than any other action type, and I like the idea of a fighting rifle when I'm bumming around public land with other armed yokels. I could probably stretch that 1.5MOA requirement to 2, but I kinda fall into that 'only accurate rifles are interesting' mantra.

I have plenty of reloading supplies (which is why I chose 308 instead of 6.5CM) and I'm willing to tinker with it as a project over the next spring and summer to be ready to hunt next year. Aero seems to have a good reputation in this segment so fingers are crossed. I can say the receiver set I have appears basically perfect, and I have owned AR's from a bunch of the top manufacturers over the years. Hopefully that's a good sign of things to come. I *think* Ballistic Advantage makes the Aero barrels. I have one of their 14.5 Hanson barrels in 556 and it's a solid 1.25MOA gun out to 200yds. Fingers crossed.
    Interested in how this works out as I have an M5 receiver on the way. This will be a 2021 project for me.

Who do we like for mags for the AR10 pattern guns? Lancer? Magpul? Something else?
    I have found the Lancer L7AWMs to be very nice mags, and seem to be more solidly constructed than my Magpuls. Unfortunately, they have extremely high magazine spring tension, which means that unless very clean, hitting the bolt release or manually cycling the charging handle on my gun does not full strip a round, but instead it hangs halfway stripped with the BCG only halfway forward; as my upper is an SR-25, there is no forward assist to hit to seat the BCG. This is with a Slash Heavy Buffers XH Carbine Buffer and an Armalite EA1095 spring, and with a coil clipped off by Lancer (they offer this service if you're having issues with your L7AWMs). They say that the reason for such high magazine tension was for use in full-auto guns, which doesn't make much sense to me, as I'm not aware of any practical use for full auto on a .308 Win rifle with up to a 25 round mag, nor am I aware of any rifle used by the military that would be compatible with Lancer mags and have full auto functionality.

The Magpuls, on the other hand, take much longer to get dirty enough to have issues, but still far less rounds than my AR-15s, where the tops of the mags get dirty enough that the follower gets stuck and thus rounds fail to feed. So, I guess the reverse issue of the Lancer. FWIW, I also have compatibility issues with the Magpul PMAG M118LRs with my LMT MARS-H lower, as they do not drop free out without some sanding. Annoying, but it is what it is.

These issues may not manifest themselves very much if you're not shooting suppressed, I suppose? I certainly have found my 16" SR-25 suppressed with a SureFire SOCOM762-RC to get much dirtier much faster than my AR-15s also using full-sized SureFire cans, though my AR-15s are also running AGBs or gas port reduction inserts.
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 12-20-2020 at 11:20 PM.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    Ive heard the gen2’s addressed the accuracy issues. Dont know if its true.
    Mine is a Gen2. I’m not really complaining about the accuracy as it seems to do fairly well with the right ammo and meets my expectations. That said it’s not going to outshoot my Remington PPS which seems to do well with any decent ammo I feed it. I think many people wanting to chase the AR10 pattern rabbit down the whole often have unrealistic impressions on what the gun is capable of (I know I did when I chased the M14 rabbit 20 some years ago).

I’ve been happy with my freedom week Magpul 20s. I did have a batch of “desert” MagPul 10s that I needed to file the locking tab on to get the to lock right. The have all been reliable.
    Last edited by Suvorov; 12-21-2020 at 01:02 AM. Reason: Multi Quote

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Forgive me for not multi quoting.......

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    If you’re good without suppressing it, the Smith M&P 10 will do what you’re talking about. Mine was a solid 1.25-1.5 MOA gun and handled like a 5.56. Very nimble, good ambi controls. I really liked that gun a lot with an ACOG and a brake. When I tried to run it suppressed and put a Nightforce 2.5-10 was when I started to hate it and sold it. Wouldn’t run suppressed. Nightforce was too much scope for the gun and pushed it more into a precision type role, which it wasn’t.
    Back from hunting and a quick note as I was reading this thread.

What does not/has not worked is probably just as important as what does work as far as sharing of info, so posts like this are very helpful.

Thank you all for contributing that type of information.

CHEERS!

Any comments about the ruger762 or the sig716?

User Tag List