Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is there a large pattern AR thread?

Is there a large pattern AR thread?

Looking for best practices as I build up a 308 AR-10 pattern rifle. I dug through about a dozen pages of threads and searched and don't see a general large pattern AR thread. Found specifics for the LMT rifle but that doesn't really apply to me.

Am I missing it? Is this it now?

I have a matched Aero M5 receiver set that I am looking to turn into a 16" hunting/walk about rifle with a goal of reliability, under 1.5moa performance, and light weight, in that order.
    The opinions above are my own and do not represent any current or former employer.

weight savings is about the barrel, free float tube and stock. Also use a long receiver extension Vltor RE-10/A5SR or Armalite .308 carbine ext. and spring. These will give you the flexibility to use any AR15 carbine buffer.
    Billy

Gunsmith, M/C mechanic, Retired Army, NRA Life Member
    "When you have to shoot...Shoot don't talk" Tuco

I had a Noveske N6 years ago. It ran without issues. Mostly FGMM through it but there was no need to alter or modify the buffer, etc.

Attachment 63553

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I would be interested in a "family tree" type chart of which manufacturers' stuff is compatible with which manufacturers' stuff. I'm aware of the couple different standards, but I've never been motivated to go down the rabbit hole and sort it all out.

Calling @LGChris...

AR-10s seem like the land of everybody doing their own thing, reinventing stuff to make it a little bit better, but then losing the near-universality that makes the AR-15 so practical. It's one of my basic beliefs that no manufacturer makes the best of everything. Being able to pick and choose the components I like best and have them all work together is a big part of the attraction. It seems that with each AR-10 ecosystem, you're limited to a much narrower range of offerings. Plus, lots of them are little boutique shops, so prices are high and future product support uncertain.

I really like the intermediate concept, but as predicted, DPMS is tango-uniform for now. Hoping PSA gives it their version some legs when they get back up and running. But it seems unlikely that they'll give it the quality it needs. I'm still not in love with Savage.

It's almost like there's an opportunity for several big players to get together and agree on a spec, kinda like getting a cartridge standardized by SAAMI, and lock it in so they and everyone else can all get started making compatible stuff.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 11-22-2020 at 08:11 PM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Having seen several friends go down the rabbit hole of trying to build a 308 AR from parts, it taught me that the wisest answer was to just buy a complete 308 AR from a reputable or semi-reputable manufacturer. Barring that, buy a complete assembled lower that takes 7.62 Pmags, and buy a complete assembled upper of the correct pattern and call it good.

I opted for a Troy 308 because the price was simply fantastic, and so far it has not let me down. But with good ammo it throws occasional 1.6-1.7in groups at 100, but can be trusted to run about 2-2.5in with pretty much any ammo I can find. So it doesn't meet the accuracy standard the OP's looking for. I found it very adequate for hog hunting - every time has been 'dead right there'.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    Having seen several friends go down the rabbit hole of trying to build a 308 AR from parts, it taught me that the wisest answer was to just buy a complete 308 AR from a reputable or semi-reputable manufacturer. Barring that, buy a complete assembled lower that takes 7.62 Pmags, and buy a complete assembled upper of the correct pattern and call it good.
    That's the conclusion I've come to, as well.

My solution for now is a somewhat more ban-resistant BAR MK3 with Elmer's preferred wood stocks. It may not have battle rifle durability, but at least I can take it to CA with 10-rd mags.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post

I opted for a Troy 308 because the price was simply fantastic, and so far it has not let me down. But with good ammo it throws occasional 1.6-1.7in groups at 100, but can be trusted to run about 2-2.5in with pretty much any ammo I can find. So it doesn't meet the accuracy standard the OP's looking for. I found it very adequate for hog hunting - every time has been 'dead right there'.
    I don’t think many AR10 pattern guns will meet the OPs accuracy specs without the right ammo. My PWS will shoot sub 1.5 and I’ve even been known to get sub moa out past 200 yds, but that is with FGM 175s. The rest of the time it is a 2-3 inch gun.

My Noveske was easily a 1moa rifle with FGMM

Aye, most of us love the .223/5.56 AR platform. Accurate, flexible, cheap-to-shoot, soft-shooting, even sexy. But there's no doubt that when push truly comes to shove, an AR-10 platform brings the thunder like few other things. The AR-15 is kind to everyone... women and kids included. The AR-10... well, that there is a man's rifle.

Lots of nice options out there. Just pick one and do it.

http://jeffreyhughes.net/wordpress/2...gs-on-the-obr/

If you’re good without suppressing it, the Smith M&P 10 will do what you’re talking about. Mine was a solid 1.25-1.5 MOA gun and handled like a 5.56. Very nimble, good ambi controls. I really liked that gun a lot with an ACOG and a brake. When I tried to run it suppressed and put a Nightforce 2.5-10 was when I started to hate it and sold it. Wouldn’t run suppressed. Nightforce was too much scope for the gun and pushed it more into a precision type role, which it wasn’t.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

User Tag List