Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is there a large pattern AR thread?

Since you have the Aero receiver set, I would just source the main components from Aero. They have a nice 16 inch stainless barrel with a good profile and a 12 inch lightweight M-LOK handguard. Use the Vltor long receiver extension and a Magpul SL stock. Add a Larue trigger and you will have a nice shooting relatively light carbine.

Good luck.
    Billy

Gunsmith, M/C mechanic, Retired Army, NRA Life Member
    "When you have to shoot...Shoot don't talk" Tuco

I didn’t see a budget for this build, if money is no object I would call craddock precision or compass lake engineering and get a barrel/bcg from them. That will satisfy the accuracy and lightweight requirement, and with an agb you should be able to get it to run. But like others have said, ar-10’s can be more difficult to make reliable than small frame ar’s.

Over the years I have built at several and most disappointed me as too heavy or not accurate enough. I really got the light part with the Faxon 16" light weight profile barrel (308 version of a pencil barrel) and Faxon BCG on a DPMS upper/lower and a Troy free float tube. It was very light for the breed, but the accuracy eluded me. Best I could get was 1.5 to 2 moa even with my best handloaded 168 or 175gr match ammo it liked. Surplus Nato ball ammo was 2.5-3 moa which made me sad. Sent it on its way.

I built a nearly identical unit but a bit heavier with a Criterion government profile 18" rifle gas barrel I bought from Benny Cooley, and it has been the keeper. Easily 1-1.5 moa if I do my part. But I cannot bring myself to refer to it as a lightweight gun.

I failed to get what I needed in terms of accuracy with several other attempts. Both the 16" more or less heavy SOCOM profile barrels I tried were both too heavy and not that accurate, a Government profile 20" 6.5CR was disappointing, an 18" medium profile from PSA was a tragedy in terms of accuracy.

I think if I had to start over again I would just get the complete rifle because for what I have spent building them I could have had a really solid one like Daniel Defense from the start.

As cited, the lack of standardization is a true headache and requires too much research.

This brief article explains key compatibility issues between an Armalite AR10 and a standard "DPMS High" pattern .308 AR.

https://www.80percentarms.com/blog/d...r-10-patterns/

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    I don’t think many AR10 pattern guns will meet the OPs accuracy specs without the right ammo. My PWS will shoot sub 1.5 and I’ve even been known to get sub moa out past 200 yds, but that is with FGM 175s. The rest of the time it is a 2-3 inch gun.
    Ive heard the gen2’s addressed the accuracy issues. Dont know if its true.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

I’vecgone really deep down the large pattern AR rabbit hole. My best advice is to sell yoir receiver set and buy a commercial rifle that fits your needs. $3000+ for a rifle seems like a lot, but you’ll probably save money and headache in the end. It isn’t as simple as dpms pattern or armalite pattern anymore.

Outside of that, make sure your barrel and bolt come from the same manufacturer. You’ll want to headspace it eitherway, but if you mix and match, you *must* check headspace. After than your carrier needs to match your upper if a forward assist is desired. Next you have to choose the RE type. You can see that can turn into days of researching parts and finding parts.

I’ve had experience with many commercial rifles. If weight is the biggest concern, KAC and SCAR rifles take the cake. The next best things are the DD5 series followed by the POF revolution (when size/weight is a greater concern than reliability and durability is where the revolution really shines).

If weight isn’t as concerning, the best all around .308 is the LMT MWS. It’s relatively cheap, very accurate with a SS barrel, and all the bugs have been worked out. It’s extra weight makes it nicer to shoot than the extreme light weight .308s. You also have the support of a rifle with military contracts, which is something it shares with KAC, FN, and HK only. Therefore parts are generally available.

Finally, you get what you pay for in large pattern ARs. I learned this the hard way and lost a lot of money before finding what worked for me.

Budget a minimum of $4500 per rifle set-up to get started. That’s enough for an LMT MWS, decent quality optic, mount, magazines, and a couple hundred rounds of match ammo. That’s as cheap as I would go. All of the cheaper rifles were just money pits.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I would be interested in a "family tree" type chart of which manufacturers' stuff is compatible with which manufacturers' stuff. I'm aware of the couple different standards, but I've never been motivated to go down the rabbit hole and sort it all out.
    I had to look at multiple sources when I was putting mine together.

https://www.80percentarms.com/blog/d...r-10-patterns/

https://www.wingtactical.com/blog/wh...een-ar15-ar10/

https://308ar.com/ar-10-308-ar-compa...ference-guide/

Thanks guys. Budget hasn't really been set but it's certainly not $4500.

I already have a bunch of AR parts in the bin and thankfully they are the ones that will crossover to the large pattern gun, so I can focus mostly on the big components. Difficult in this time but I'm not in a major hurry.

I was able to snag an Aero barrel and bolt today, and I'm waiting to try to hunt down one of their rails which are out of stock everywhere. I have a Larue trigger that will be going in, and bought a Surefire brake that will accept my 308 SF can, but if the gun won't run with the can that's not a huge concern. This will mostly be a hunting rifle because I like the way the AR carries in the woods both slung and unslung, I have FAR more time behind an AR than any other action type, and I like the idea of a fighting rifle when I'm bumming around public land with other armed yokels. I could probably stretch that 1.5MOA requirement to 2, but I kinda fall into that 'only accurate rifles are interesting' mantra.

I have plenty of reloading supplies (which is why I chose 308 instead of 6.5CM) and I'm willing to tinker with it as a project over the next spring and summer to be ready to hunt next year. Aero seems to have a good reputation in this segment so fingers are crossed. I can say the receiver set I have appears basically perfect, and I have owned AR's from a bunch of the top manufacturers over the years. Hopefully that's a good sign of things to come. I *think* Ballistic Advantage makes the Aero barrels. I have one of their 14.5 Hanson barrels in 556 and it's a solid 1.25MOA gun out to 200yds. Fingers crossed.
    The opinions above are my own and do not represent any current or former employer.

Faxon 20" .308 Big Gunner barrel is awesome for hunting. My M5 .308 weighs 7 1/4 lbs without optic.

Site Supporter
    Who do we like for mags for the AR10 pattern guns? Lancer? Magpul? Something else?

User Tag List