Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Accumulated Wisdom of the late Pat Rogers

Just when you thought the .45 vs 9mm wars were over...😂

Quote Originally Posted by Ed L View Post

"No shit. For years we were told that a *head* shot was the answer to all issues.

Talking with Jeff Cooper about an incident where the Manhattan South Duty Captain who ended a Hostage job by putting six rounds of 158gr SWCL into the grape of the mutt, who had poured a flammable substance onto the head of the hostage and was attempting to light it.

Cooper was aghast, and said "Why six? One was all that was necessary".

People are a lot more resilient than many people think.
    His frame of reference was clearly different than ours..."

S/F

Pat sends
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

SWAT Magazine’s online archives / searched Pat Rogers (definitely not all of his articles, but a start):

http://www.swatvault.com/?s=Pat+Rogers

Agreed on all the above. We remain diminished.
    Last edited by smithjd; 11-23-2020 at 08:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tensaw View Post
    Okay so it’s early and I am still working on getting my caffeine/blood ratio corrected, so this may be off base, but what the hell...

I was thinking about my small collection of Jeff Cooper’s writings (which I enjoy for their style if not moreso than content) and was also thinking about how to get a couple of folks who are new to AR’s/gunfighting up to speed. It occurred to me that if there was come compilation of Pat Roger’s instructional material available, that would be a pretty good start for getting them going in the right direction. Too, saving something like that for posterity would be pretty great as well. Problem is, the best I can tell, the late great Pat’s writings were largely forum postings (on LF?), magazine articles, and some videos.

Is there someone who is accessible to “us” who would have the ability to source Pat’s work? I wonder how hard it would be to assimilate all of that into some sort of package. Seems like a fitting tribute to the man. (Thinking in terms of something published with the permission, and for the benefit, of his estate; not just ripping off his life’s work for distribution.) Seems to me this would have to start with someone who is connected to his family and has an understanding of what would be valuable for publication.
    Gathering his published material is one task. Posters here could probably identify all of it within a year or so. Republishing would take longer because of the copyright issues.

As you stated, gathering his online posts it's probably more important, but it's a different task. His articles and videos identify a problem, then describe and demonstrate solutions. But threads drift, so taking a line or two out of context could open his words to misinterpretation and would leave a lot of valuable ideas out of the conversation.

Take for instance,
    "After you shoot guns enough, it starts to get boring. The point at which boredom sets in varies with the individual . . . "
    Why did Pat Rogers—of all people—say that? What greater lesson lies within the idea of a storied gunfighter getting bored with shooting? How could that lesson keep one of us alive someday? I’d bet it’s in the rest of that story. So instead of collecting posts, it might be better to collect the threads that contain his posts.

A guy named Allen Day used to post at 24hourcampfire. He was one of the most experienced hunters and shooters that I've ever encountered. His opinions were conservative (with a strong emphasis on the basics) but they came from his experience, which was off the charts. His posts responded to ideas from multiple posters and gave each exactly the right weight in light of the subject at hand. After he died, I saved a search that links to all of his posts, and I still reread them from time to time.

Pat Rogers worked the same way. Maybe the PF mods (who are shit) could link to a collection of threads in which he posted. Then we could read the archive, hear the conversations as they evolved, and hear his words in context.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Another source ... before SWAT, he had articles appear in Tactical Shooter, a more sniper-like / pre-SDM version of Precision Shooter.

Someone who understands the errornet "way back," or archive, sites could tell us how easy it would be to find and cull the material from The Firing Line, TacForums, and 10-8.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Just in case anyone's interested: Panteao has all of Pat's DVDs bundled and has a 40% off sale going for Black Friday.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    Just in case anyone's interested: Panteao has all of Pat's DVDs bundled and has a 40% off sale going for Black Friday.
    This is a big step in the right direction.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed L View Post

Massive amount of Pat's Awesomeness
    The only thing missing was "I MUST BE A BAD INSTRUCTOR, BECAUSE IT IS THE (END OF DAY ONE/START OF DAY TWO/ETC.) AND I HAVE NOT YET COVERED PUSH/PULL!"

I swear, I push/pull every freakin' time. Cause I didn't want to be "That guy." Now, it's just habit, and that was his goal all along.

I've met some incredible people. Many of them I will be sad when they leave this world. But I won't miss them.

I miss Pat.

He gave me great advice on how to deal with my first dogs (a Rotti) death.

I really like this speech:

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Thanatos View Post

I've met some incredible people. Many of them I will be sad when they leave this world. But I won't miss them.
    A couple weeks ago, I took Tom Givens' instructor development class. Also attending was a copper I knew through Pat but had never met. The familial abuse started in the classroom and continued all three days.

Others have said it, Pat's greatest work - and it will be his longest-lasting tribute - is the sheer number of people he connected with other. 4+ years after his passing, those people continue to connect and work together for the benefit of the communities Pat worked within.

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    Adding that to my Christmas list, thanks.

User Tag List