Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Accumulated Wisdom of the late Pat Rogers

Those not fully up to speed on what made Pat tick and who he was should watch this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Cartwright View Post
    Folks:

I read this thread with great interest. As some of you may know, Pat was a dear friend and mentor. Colonel Jeff Cooper once opined that anything worth remembering was worth writing down. Pat did that. I believe that Pat's accumulated writings/wisdom need to be maintained. I attempted to compile a list/bibliography of Pat's writings shortly after he passed away with limited success. Returning to that task has always been on my mind. To that end, I reached out to Little Lebowski and obtained his blessing to augment my limited bibliography of Pat's writings via Pistol Forum ("PF").

As a result, I hereby volunteer to act as a clearinghouse for information that PF members care to share regarding Pat's writings. I created an excel spreadsheet containing a partial list of Pat's articles from SWAT Magazine. I reached out to a dear friend (whom I met through a Pat class) who has graciously added to the spreadsheet. My goal is to compile as complete a bibliography for Pat as possible. Once I do that, I will post the resulting spreadsheet here on PF.

If you are so inclined, please send me a private message ("PM") through PF with the following information:
    1. Publication that Pat's article appeared in (Example: SWAT Magazine);
    2. Date of the article (Example: "September 2009" is sufficient);
    3. Title of the article;
    4. Do you possess an actual physical copy of the article;
    5. Any other pertinent information;
    6. Your contact information (just in case I need additional information);

Here is a summary of what I have as of November 2020:

SWAT Magazine:
    1. 2009: All months accounted for.
    2. 2010: No information.
    3. 2011: All months accounted for.
    4. 2012: All months accounted for.
    5. 2013: No information.
    6. 2014: All months accounted for.
    7. 2015: All months accounted for.
    8. 2016: All months accounted for.
    9. 2017: January to September accounted for.

I have no idea when Pat started writing for SWAT magazine, nor if he wrote for other publications (I think he did). I believe Pat's last article was published in SWAT Magazine in the August 2017 issue. I was in the middle of a retirement/move/house build in 2017 and lost track of SWAT magazine although I understand they ceased producing a paper publication at some point.

I also know Pat posted prolifically on various internet forums such as Lightfighter Tactical. Some of Pat's posts were very detailed and also worthy of being retained. How we accomplish that I do not know, but would like to see if it could be done.

I am reaching out to other folks who knew/worked with Pat to see if I can get any additional information. If you have any suggested leads, please let me know.

Thank you to Little Lebowski for supporting this. Thanks in advance to all who provide information.

Bruce
    I have all of the Tactical Shooter magazines, I can make an article list after deer season.

I talked with Justin Dyal about this stuff yesterday while we both at our favorite gun shop. I asked if he knew if Pat had a database of all his writings as he was heavily involved in Pat's estate, as well as being a writer for SWAT ( as Ethan John and then under his own name after retiring...). Unfortunately Pat didn't have a repository nor
    is SWATs old database accessable. There was supposed to be a book of Pat's stuff, A la Awerbucks books, published by SWAT but it never happened before they shut down....

I, along with others, am still on lightfighter and I'm willing to search through there for his stuff. Unfortunately due to " incidents" a lot of stuff has been memory holed there as well....
    "So strong is this propensity of mankind, to fall into mutual animosities, that where no substantial occasion presents itself, the most frivolous and fanciful distinctions have been sufficient to kindle their unfriendly passions, and excite their most violent conflicts." - James Madison, Federalist No 10

Quote Originally Posted by rcbusmc24 View Post
    I asked if he knew if Pat had a database of all his writings as he was heavily involved in Pat's estate, as well as being a writer for SWAT ( as Ethan John and then under his own name after retiring...).
    Just to confirm, is anything from S.W.A.T. mag, authored as "Ethan John", actually Pat's pseudonym? I already started compiling my own independent list, and I can add the Ethan John articles as well.

I've shared my list with Bruce and am not making it public yet until I hear from him and how he'd prefer it be handled. I think it's best if we get to a point of a single source of truth for this. That way work isn't being duplicated. It would also be great if it was version controlled (I have solutions for this) so we'd have a running history of updates to track everything, revert errant updates, etc.
    Administrator for PatRogers.org

Ethan John's was Justin Dyal's alternate name before he retired from active duty....
    "So strong is this propensity of mankind, to fall into mutual animosities, that where no substantial occasion presents itself, the most frivolous and fanciful distinctions have been sufficient to kindle their unfriendly passions, and excite their most violent conflicts." - James Madison, Federalist No 10

Site Supporter
    Anybody know what happened to SWAT magazine? Who owns the rights to Pats articles? Has anybody reached out to Rich Lucibella, (owner and Publisher of S.W.A.T. Magazine since 2001,) or Denny Hansen?

Quote Originally Posted by rcbusmc24 View Post
    Ethan John's was Justin Dyal's alternate name before he retired from active duty....
    I did not realize that. I’d also buy a compilation of his articles.

Years ago, I recall emailing SWAT magazine to inquire about a Pat compilation. I believe it was Denny Hanson who replied that they were working on something.

I just pulled all of my old issues and have most of them from 2004 to when I cancelled in 2013. I seem to be missing a few from 2011 and one month from 2010. Otherwise, they seem to be here.

Somebody remind me to hit up Pat’s lawyer (Friscia) after Thanksgiving.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    I think Pat may have written a few articles for Combat Handguns back in the late 90s using "Patrick K. Rogers" as his author name

User Tag List