Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Memories of TV when a child

"Waldo" was one of the classic bad guys back in the day. The whole nazi schtick added fuel to the fire.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Site Supporter
    I recall as a little boy being horrified when the Graham Brothers shoved Bruno into a birthday cake made by a nice old Italian lady. Wrestling used some suspect ethnic and racial themes in those days.

My first memories were of locally-produced shows aired on a local independent station.

Those included a Mister Rogers-like kids show called “Peppermint Place” and starting Mr. Peppermint”. The campy Slam-Bang theatre hosted by “Icky Twerp” and featuring Three Stooges re-runs.

Then there was Captain Kangaroo and Bullwinkle.

Remember the stern PSA that aired right before the late news?

“It’s 10:00 PM. Do you know where your children are?”

That was our cue to get to bed.

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    My first memories were of locally-produced shows aired on a local independent station.
    Then there was Captain Kangaroo and Bullwinkle.
    These might have been Chicago-area only programs, but does anybody else remember Garfield Goose, with "fat friendly Frazier Thomas", Romberg Rabbit, the Little Theater screen, Clutch Cargo with his pals Spinner and Paddlefoot, etc.?

How about Soupy Sales?

Tom Terrific and his dog, Mighty Manfred and Ruff & Ready (cartoon shows).

Geesh, I haven't thought of these things for decades.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Quantum Leap had one of the best series finales and overall concepts in the history of television.
    “The lion cannot protect himself from traps, and the fox cannot defend himself from wolves. One must therefore be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves.” Machiavelli, The Prince

Wrestling

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    I recall as a little boy being horrified when the Graham Brothers shoved Bruno into a birthday cake made by a nice old Italian lady. Wrestling used some suspect ethnic and racial themes in those days.
    Chili Billy Cardille. Hosting Studio Wrestling ... Commercials by Pie Traynor " Who can ? American . American Heating.
    PS. Bruno was diagnosed as having the most Scar tissue Ever ... scar tissue from athletic injuries , by Dr. Ferdie Pachecko.
    Custer wore the 1st "Arrow shirt".
    Given the size & power of “Ivan”, we must now … and ever be Vigilant.

Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post
    Watching wrestling with my granddad back in the late 70s, on their big ‘ol Zenith console TV. I think it was WCW back then- Dusty Rhodes, Andre the Giant, the Von Erichs, and of course “Nature Boy” Ric Flair.
    Granddad would stretch out on the couch and I’d sit at the end. Before it was over he’d always put me in a leg scissors or a headlock or something. Good times.
    A couple buddies and I would make the trek to downtown Lincoln, NE to see All-Star Wrestling at Pershing Auditorium. We went primarily to make fun of the folks who thought it was real, but yet, at some point during the festivities the Iron Sheik would have Stan 'The Man' Pulaski wobbling around the ring while the Sheik was mounting the ring post or turnbuckle to do a flying fist drop onto poor Stan, at some point one of us would holler 'Look out Stan' and then kind of shamefaced, look around to see if the others had noticed. (Whew, long sentence.)

Of course, anyone who lived in SE Mich or NW Ohio back in the late 50's to mid 70's would remember this guy, The original Sheik, AKA "The Sheik of Araby", one of the original, "extreme wrestlers". Such a kind man...
    Name:  56919612138b5d25-600x338.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  35.5 KB
    And who could forget the blood, and lots of it...
    Name:  Original-Sheik.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  38.1 KB
    And yes, it's real blood. Look at the Sheik's forehead.
    And his nemesis, Lord Athol Layton:
    Name:  03.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  23.9 KB
    The joke was is that The Sheik was his boss and was the promoter of the TV show and bouts he hosted, and spent a lot of time whining about stopping the "Crazed madman, this "Sheik".
    My friend went into a Middle Eastern restaurant in Detroit years ago and there sat "The Sheik" with his wife and speaking his unaccented English. Unlike most other wrestlers, he never broke character while on the job. There's a phone interview with him(Ed Farhat) talking about the Sheik as if it's another person. I really liked it when he ate papers and at least one time, a tie.

User Tag List