Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Memories of TV when a child

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NukeRef View Post
    Ding, ding! The remote was just a tuning fork in a box. Push the button and it would send a sound to the TV. You had to reach into the dial with a screwdriver and turn the contactor(s) where you wanted the dial to stop. The sound signal would make the dial turn until it got to the next contactor. I remember it clearly ... !
    Dad bought a TV with one of those clickers. We were watching something when one of the dogs started scratching under her collar. The clanging of her dog tags changed the channel. So that became a way for one kid to harass another when the second kid was watching something. Then we found out that another dog's tags would turn the TV on and off.

Dad switched off the remote function and took away the remote.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Or Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom.
    Marlin Perkins: I am going to wait here in the Jeep while Jim wrestles that Wilda beast to the ground.
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Site Supporter
    Marlin Perkins: I am going to wait here in the Jeep while Jim wrestles that Hilda beast to the ground.
    You missed the episode with HRC? I recall Jim wrestling a giant tortoise, as he turned it over - it revealed a giant tortoise male organ. Hilarity ensued at my house.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Or Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom.

I always remember Wild Kingdom's Timex sponsor ads, where they'd attach a watch to an outboard motor propeller, let it down into the water and run the boat around the lake, then show a closeup of the second hand still moving; "takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'".
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Quote Originally Posted by SAWBONES View Post
    I always remember Wild Kingdom's Timex sponsor ads, where they'd attach a watch to an outboard motor propeller, let it down into the water and run the boat around the lake, then show a closeup of the second hand still moving; "takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'".
    John Cameron Swayze

There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    John Cameron Swayze

Yup. I'd forgotten his name.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Yup. I'd forgotten his name.
    It's one of the seven things I seem to still remember for some reason.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Dad bought a TV with one of those clickers. We were watching something when one of the dogs started scratching under her collar. The clanging of her dog tags changed the channel. So that became a way for one kid to harass another when the second kid was watching something. Then we found out that another dog's tags would turn the TV on and off.

Dad switched off the remote function and took away the remote.
    When one of my current Labs was a pup, he sniffed around the Directv unit and changed the channel. Apparently his nose hit the sensor. Then he started hitting it on a regular basis, either turning it on/off or changing channels. I have a pic of him after he changed the channel, then sat down in front of the TV and stared at it.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    I think there was one time when, on live TV, they attached the watch to an outboard motor and lowered it into a tank of water. The watch flew off and they couldn't find it. Swaze said: "Well, it worked in rehearsal."
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Out of the clear blue of the western sky, comes.......

User Tag List