Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Memories of TV when a child

Site Supporter

Memories of TV when a child

A meme picture of little boys triggered some childhood memories of watching TV.

1. Watching Hopalong Cassidy as a little boy, wearing two SAA cap guns, the bad guys were going to ambush Hoppy. Not understanding TV was not reality, I drew a six gun (I guess I knew it wouldn't really shoot anyone) and pitched it at the picture tube, yelling - Don't you hurt Hoppy! Later in life, I learned to use a handgun as an impact weapon when out of caps (Haha).

2. About 8, my parents let me watch TV during dinner if I was good. My favorite show was Popeye. Well, I was set up to eat and Baseball appeared on the screen instead of Popeye. I opined: Oh, F word.

No dinner, right to bed.

I guess I'm posting as I'm bored and don't want to read. I'll go make a pastrami sandwich. Then I will check the mail to see if the pistol permit additions have come from the county so I can go get my guns from the FFL. Such suspense.

Andy's Gang, Sky King, Twenty-Six Men, Tombstone Territory, Broken Arrow, The Rifleman, Gene Autry, Roy Rogers, Bat Masterson, Highway Patrol, Fury, Whirlybirds...are a few that come to mind from those early years. (And sports...especially the Yankees as a young kid.)

Not many hold my interest today like those shows did back then. It's nice when one does.
    Last edited by blues; 11-21-2020 at 02:38 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

My first TV memory is of the funeral of JFK. The image of the caisson bearing his body to Arlington. This would be 1963, I would have been all of four years old. We must have watched it on AFN Kaiserslautern, since I hadn't made it from West Germany to the states at that time.

Early anime imports were a big thing for me as a kid, Star Blazers and Battle of the Planets especially. I also enjoyed Spectraman and Sunday Afternoon Movie viewings of all those Godzilla flicks. Reruns of Grizzly Adams and Star Trek were regular viewing on the weekends.

ETA: and I was deathly afraid of The Incredible Hulk!
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    Early anime imports were a big thing for me as a kid, Star Blazers and Battle of the Planets especially. I also enjoyed Spectraman and Sunday Afternoon Movie viewings of all those Godzilla flicks. Reruns of Grizzly Adams and Star Trek were regular viewing on the weekends.

ETA: and I was deathly afraid of The Incredible Hulk!
    Good stuff there!

Can't have this type of discussion without bringing up the good old Saturday morning Looney Tunes and 3 Stooges.

Cartoons on Saturday morning meant you got up early. The Star Spangled Banner playing when stations signed off for the night.

ETA Watching Wallace and Ladmo before school. I loved that show!
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

I liked the Saturday morning cartoons, “What’s up Doc?”. The Beverly Hillbillies, Gunsmoke, Rifleman, Hogans Heros.

I watched Looney Tunes with my sons when they were little.

Does anyone remember the puppet shows? I can’t remember the name but the one was super gitchy. Rocket ships on strings with smoke wafting out of the exhaust. Underwater villains that sounded like the noises you make humming into a straw stuck in a glass of soda...

Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    I liked the Saturday morning cartoons, “What’s up Doc?”. The Beverly Hillbillies, Gunsmoke, Rifleman, Hogans Heros.

I watched Looney Tunes with my sons when they were little.

Does anyone remember the puppet shows? I can’t remember the name but the one was super gitchy. Rocket ships on strings with smoke wafting out of the exhaust. Underwater villains that sounded like the noises you make humming into a straw stuck in a glass of soda...
    Sounds like Supercar

There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Sounds like Supercar

Name:  BF7FCC6A-CCE0-4BD4-BB47-729B8614D80E.jpeg
Views: 504
Size:  28.1 KB

The one I was thinking of was “Stingray”, I’d also forgotten “Thunderbirds”. Excuse me, I’ll be on YouTube for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Andy's Gang, Sky King, Twenty-Six Men, Tombstone Territory, Broken Arrow, The Rifleman, Gene Autry, Roy Rogers, Bat Masterson, Highway Patrol, Fury, Whirlybirds...are a few that come to mind from those early years. (And sports...especially the Yankees as a young kid.)

Not many hold my interest today like those shows did back then. It's nice when one does.
    I just had to partially derail here, because 26 Men isn't as well known as several of the others. But my late stepfather's best friend was an actor in a handful of episodes of 26 Men. Some years back I bought the set of all episodes for my dad so we could see ol' Stretch on the TV after decades of knowing about it but never seeing it. Sadly this was a few years after my stepdad passed away so we didn't get to watch it with him (my dad and former stepdad were actually pretty good buddies, long story).

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    Cartoons on Saturday morning meant you got up early. The Star Spangled Banner playing when stations signed off for the night.

ETA Watching Wallace and Ladmo before school. I loved that show!
    A fellow Phoenician Wallace and Ladmo watcher here. Several of my classmates were in the audience for tapings as their girl scout or cub scout troops would be able to attend and get seen on TV as the camera would pan over them going to commercial breaks. I never did, but I did see Ladmo in a park doing a little bit for a group of kids handing out Ladmo bags. This was a couple years or so before he passed away.

User Tag List