Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: One handed pistol manipulation with Novak style sights.

Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post
    It's been several years since I've been around many 4 digit S&W pistols. We had 15 or so 5905s as test pistols and fewer than ten co-workers carried 645s/4506s.

From memory, when it came to working them one-handed, if the rear sight couldn't be used, we showed using both the ejection port and front sight.
    When we issued 5906’s we taught using the front sight on the heel of a boot.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Site Supporter
    I've never tried it with a S&W 3rd Gen pistol, but I've racked the slide one-handed on a 1911 equipped with Novak sights a lot. As someone above suggested, it takes more inward force -- try to practice enough so that the shape of the rear sight doesn't matter. I've gotten bruises on my hip from doing it with a 45 but it works with practice.

Site Supporter
    I like the look of a low mount Novak and I like how it carries by not digging into my side; but I switched to 10-8s mainly because of one hand slide racking. I figured if I am injured and racking it one handed I want to make it as easy as possible. I thought Novak made a rear sight with a raised front edge for easier racking at one time but I could of find a photo of one

Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    I like the look of a low mount Novak and I like how it carries by not digging into my side; but I switched to 10-8s mainly because of one hand slide racking. I figured if I am injured and racking it one handed I want to make it as easy as possible. I thought Novak made a rear sight with a raised front edge for easier racking at one time but I could of find a photo of one
    If there was ever a use case that calls for making something as simple and sure as possible this is it.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List