Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LIMITED AND FLASHLIGHTS - SEARCHED BEFORE ASKING

LIMITED AND FLASHLIGHTS - SEARCHED BEFORE ASKING

Some background.

First year USPSA. Shooting limited. Local matches. Last match saw a guy in limited with a Taylor Freelance Sight Block and a SJC Frame Weight hanging from the rail of his G35 looking G22. I was interested since it looked like he was shooting .22's out of his 22.

Decided to put something similar together. My first thought was instead of spending the money for the SJC weight, I'd take an old dead WML and fill it with lead. Also solve the holster problem.

BUT the limited rules say no installed flashlight. I got to searching and read some stuff on BE which lead me to believe that there are folks who feel that a gutted flashlight filled with lead is not a flashlight and can be used as a weight.

On it's face this makes absolutely no sense to me, but, this is USPSA, so I'm uncertain as to what the ruling would be.

Any help?

ETA: Another question, has anyone ever added tungsten in the bottom shroud of a TF Sight Block? I took a tungsten buffer weight and shaved about a 1/16th of one end and it allows the pistol to function - wanted to check any negative aspects before set screwing it into place permanently.

Thanks.

I think at one time Bob Vogel was using a filled Glock light on his Glock. I don't remember if it was USPSA or IPSC.

AFAIK, the issue depends on what you do to the light. If you simply shove weights into the battery compartment, I don't think that would work, as it's still technically a functional flashlight. If you remove the bulb/electronics, too, I think you'd have a much stronger argument, since that is indeed what Vogel did with a Glock light. You could always reach out to USPSA via their contact page where they actually have a box dedicated to sending an email out for rules clarification; when I sent one out, I received a response within a couple of hours on the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    AFAIK, the issue depends on what you do to the light. If you simply shove weights into the battery compartment, I don't think that would work, as it's still technically a functional flashlight. If you remove the bulb/electronics, too, I think you'd have a much stronger argument, since that is indeed what Vogel did with a Glock light. You could always reach out to USPSA via their contact page where they actually have a box dedicated to sending an email out for rules clarification; when I sent one out, I received a response within a couple of hours on the weekend.
    Thanks, I'll do that.

Probably answering my own question here, but, if that was the way USPSA would look at it, why isn't everyone doing it?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    Thanks, I'll do that.

Probably answering my own question here, but, if that was the way USPSA would look at it, why isn't everyone doing it?
    My guess would be that it's because Limited is largely dominated by 2011s, which are plenty heavy already.

If it doesn't have batteries in it, then it's not a functional flashlight. Yeah, someone could put a battery in it and it would be functional, but then they'd be modifying the gun. It'd be like saying someone shooting an MOS Glock in Production with no optic and a flat cover plate over the optics mount would be illegal, because they could remove the cover plate and mount an optic.

Thanks all.

I guess a better question might have been, do anyone know of anyone doing this above club level?

I have done this and my current limited setup (which I rarely shoot) is a G35 with a TLR-1 gutted and filled with lead. Holster compatibility and the superior mounting system of a light (vs some of the frame weights) are the reasons I went this route.

The down side is you will be questioned by an RO and possibly RM at every match. I used this at Area 6 match one year and had Troy (DNROI) personally approve it after the RO's called him over. I pulled the LED bulb out of the light so it could not be made to be a flashlight anymore. Troy also suggested I go a bit further and paint over the light emitter, but he still approved it without the paint. Vogel still uses the flashlight in limited and IPSC standard division, although I'm sure he gets less scrutiny than I do.

If I shot limited more, I'd probably just get a frame weight so I wouldn't have to explain it every time.

Thanks for that reply!!

Seems like there's a market out there for WML-shaped frame weights with rail attachments. It'd be nice if someone just made one that started out as a weight instead of everyone who wants one having to get an actual light and stuff it full of lead to make it into a weight.

User Tag List