Thread: Pistol light recommendations

Pistol light recommendations

I want to pick up a pistol light for a present but dont want to spend Surefire money. Its for a full size pistol that will likely never be carried concealed. I assume its on a nightstand or in a drawer maybe. I dont want to go the opposite direction of the Surefire into cheap arena either it should be a light thats considered duty rated. Im open to a laser. Im thinking Streamlight probably but don’t really know the market.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    I want to pick up a pistol light for a present but dont want to spend Surefire money. Its for a full size pistol that will likely never be carried concealed. I assume its on a nightstand or in a drawer maybe. I dont want to go the opposite direction of the Surefire into cheap arena either it should be a light thats considered duty rated. Im open to a laser. Im thinking Streamlight probably but don’t really know the market.
    I have a Streamlight TLR-1 HL on my Gen4 Glock 17 for dedicated nightstand use. (And a holster from JMCK in case I need to carry it out of the house with the light affixed.)

I know that Streamlight has lots of offerings since, but I'm content with it for the purposes.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I own three or four TLR-HLs, and my agency has at least a dozen in service with no issues.

Site Supporter
    Surefire-Gold
    Streamlight-Silver
    In Force-Bronze

Many BTDT guys would say that there is a big drop off between the Silver and Bronze "winners."

There is sometimes a pricing overlap ( or close ) between newer, brighter Streamlights and older model "New Old Stock" Surefires.

I have a very old Streamlight ( 150 lumens?) that has worked well for me forever.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I have a Streamlight TLR-1 HL on my Gen4 Glock 17 for dedicated nightstand use. (And a holster from JMCK in case I need to carry it out of the house with the light affixed.)

I know that Streamlight has lots of offerings since, but I'm content with it for the purposes.
    Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    I own three or four TLR-HLs, and my agency has at least a dozen in service with no issues.
    Looks good and the price is right 1000 lumens holy cow. So ill have enough room to get some batteries too! Thx guys!

For inside the house use, I'd suggest a standard lumen TLR1. I have an HL on my FNS, and the combo was never a problem until one night I woke up in the middle of the night with the stupid urge to see how bright the light was in near total darkness. So I popped the light on (yes, I was really damn careful with the loaded pistol), and was greeted by an amazing sight.

Somewhere nearby, a million suns exploded. I watched as the world lit up brightly, then began to melt. First the edges of the light glowed like molten lava, then there was a savage, but silent explosion before my eyes overloaded from the strain and I took my damn finger off the light switch and was instantly surrounded by darkness with huge fireballs around me that changed colors as I watched them dance around the room before slowly fading.

I think I'll go buy the standard version and try my luck there.

Quote Originally Posted by 358156hp View Post
    For inside the house use, I'd suggest a standard lumen TLR1. I have an HL on my FNS, and the combo was never a problem until one night I woke up in the middle of the night with the stupid urge to see how bright the light was in near total darkness. So I popped the light on (yes, I was really damn careful with the loaded pistol), and was greeted by an amazing sight.

Somewhere nearby, a million suns exploded. I watched as the world lit up brightly, then began to melt. First the edges of the light glowed like molten lava, then there was a savage, but silent explosion before my eyes overloaded from the strain and I took my damn finger off the light switch and was instantly surrounded by darkness with huge fireballs around me that changed colors as I watched them dance around the room before slowly fading.

I think I'll go buy the standard version and try my luck there.
    That is so friggin awesome. I want two.

I have Surefires, but actually found I liked the Streamlight Chineiusm more on my pistol.

Two weeks ago, I bought the newer Streamlight REM 870 dedicated light fore end. I sold my Surefire DSF-870 LED the next week after a head-to-head comparison. The Streamlight is brighter, but the ergonomics were massively different change. The weight is also cut in half and is literally half again as narrow.

YMMV, but I never count Streamlight out. They seem to focus less on the lumens and more on the ergonomics innovation.

Anyone messed with the new TLR-9? Being that it runs two batteries inline it should be nice and thin if anyone wanted to carry IWB etc.

Downside is no pressure switch option. At least not yet. But Streamlight only makes Glock or M&P switches anyway so maybe rd that's not a big deal.

Being new, it may be somewhat difficult finding a holster.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

User Tag List