Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Let the savagery out...

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    This is all just sort of childish, no different than people who proclaim you're a freak because you wear a gun and tourniquet everyday because they come from a social environment where doing so is viewed as eccentric and a sign of unreasonable paranoia even though there's perfectly objective reasons for doing so.
    Is it? Or is it more making fun of the open carry long gun guy at Starbucks? Because either way, I'm ok making fun of stuff and I'm ok with people doing things I wouldn't do despite the fact I'd make fun of them for doing it. Seems over the top to me for just walking around town. And I hope your nose doesn't itch. It wants you to listen to your surroundings through ear buds and an app on your iphone, so it will obviously hamper your ability to hear your surroundings. Which also means it's going to make it harder to talk to people, as I don't see any type of voice emitter. And you look like your in a dystopian sci-fi film, something I think is reasonably going to alter people's reactions to you in social settings.

FWIW, I'm HAZWOPER certified. I'm fairly familiar with various levels of PPE. I'm sure somebody somewhere actually needs this. I'm equally sure somebody somewhere needs this, but I'm not rushing out to buy one for routine COVID-19 avoidance.

Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Is it? Or is it more making fun of the open carry long gun guy at Starbucks? Because either way, I'm ok making fun of stuff and I'm ok with people doing things I wouldn't do despite the fact I'd make fun of them for doing it. Seems over the top to me for just walking around town. And I hope your nose doesn't itch. It wants you to listen to your surroundings through ear buds and an app on your iphone, so it will obviously hamper your ability to hear your surroundings. Which also means it's going to make it harder to talk to people, as I don't see any type of voice emitter. And you look like your in a dystopian sci-fi film, something I think is reasonably going to alter people's reactions to you in social settings.

FWIW, I'm HAZWOPER certified. I'm fairly familiar with various levels of PPE. I'm sure somebody somewhere actually needs this. I'm equally sure somebody somewhere needs this, but I'm not rushing out to buy one for routine COVID-19 avoidance.
    That's a lot different than some of the comments leveled in here thus far, and I didn't say you should wear one for just walking around town. I even said that I'm not buying one because I don't feel the need for my current situation.

It personally grates me when people look at others using PPE and make fun of them for it.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

As a nurse in a hospital I'd rather wear something like this right now than the N95s for 8+ hours a day. But since I'm in surgery, there could be other issues with this thing. I deal with a lot of different pieces of equipment that take up a lot of room. Sometimes I have to squeeze in between machines or feed electrical cords through places on the floor and I could see this somewhat bulky helmet getting in the way sometimes. In either case, I'll probably be vaccinated about the time the backorder would be filled.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    That's a lot different than some of the comments leveled in here thus far, and I didn't say you should wear one for just walking around town. I even said that I'm not buying one because I don't feel the need for my current situation.

It personally grates me when people look at others using PPE and make fun of them for it.
    I haven't seen anything other then some references to the fact you're unlikely to get laid wearing one, and my rocket man question. And you are pretty unlikely to get laid wearing one. I mean, if a stand up comic did a routine on a guy wearing this thing trying to get laid nobody is going to have their panties in a twist over it. I don't see the harm in poking some fun.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Wouldn’t wear one out and about, but it might be a great alternative to a PAPR/CAPR. There are lots of situations where I could see it being useful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Runkle View Post
    Wouldn’t wear one out and about, but it might be a great alternative to a PAPR/CAPR. There are lots of situations where I could see it being useful.

Except it's not. This is merely a glorified chunk of HVAC filter. For 300 bucks, you get a plastic shield, some small electric fans and a few HEPA filters.

HEPA filters only filter, efficiently, down to 0.3 Microns. Covid-19 is 0.09-0.14 microns in size. HEPA does nothing to stop aerosolized vapors or smaller particles. This thing may be as good as an N95, at best, and that's assuming the "draw string collar" is sealed tightly against the neck.

The "air." Is nothing more than a marketing ploy to capitalize on fear and should not be viewed in any way as a legitimate PPE device. The idea behind it may be compelling, but the execution is cheap and profit driven. Plus, you'll look like a fucking dork wearing one of these and carrying your European man bag.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Except it's not. This is merely a glorified chunk of HVAC filter. For 300 bucks, you get a plastic shield, some small electric fans and a few HEPA filters.
    That's literally what a PAPR is.

HEPA filters only filter, efficiently, down to 0.3 Microns. Covid-19 is 0.09-0.14 microns in size. HEPA does nothing to stop aerosolized vapors or smaller particles. This thing may be as good as an N95, at best,
    Yes, an N95 is 95% of .3 micron particles. So, that's actually the appropriate level of protection for covid.

and that's assuming the "draw string collar" is sealed tightly against the neck.
    That's how PAPRs work. It's pushing filtered air using whatever filter cartridge you use such as an N95 (not purified compressed air), and they're generally open at the bottom since it's a positive pressure system. That last part is why they're generally more effective than wearing the same filter specification on a mask, since masks can leak (especially N95 partial face respirators), whereas the only way ambient air enters a PAPR is through the filter.

It doesn't need an airtight neck seal...none of the ones I used as a healthcare provider ever had neck seals.

Josh, myself, and the other healthcare providers might have a clue what we're talking about.

ETA: No comment about the actual build quality of the device, but I wouldn't consider the price indicative of such compared to professional-use devices as the latter have to go through expensive biomedical approvals...that while guarantee a minimum level of quality, adds a significant expense to the consumer and are not a standard that isn't easily replicated, hence why OSHA has exempted alternative respirators for "good faith effort" emergency covid use, such as KN95s, and people have generally been okay.
    Last edited by TGS; 11-21-2020 at 03:28 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

HEPA filters only filter, efficiently, down to 0.3 Microns. Covid-19 is 0.09-0.14 microns in size. HEPA does nothing to stop aerosolized vapors or smaller particles. This thing may be as good as an N95, at best, and that's assuming the "draw string collar" is sealed tightly against the neck.

The "air." Is nothing more than a marketing ploy to capitalize on fear and should not be viewed in any way as a legitimate PPE device. The idea behind it may be compelling, but the execution is cheap and profit driven. Plus, you'll look like a fucking dork wearing one of these and carrying your European man bag.
    I work in the emergency department of a level 1 trauma center and have had 50-100 Covid positive patients and hundreds of patients with symptoms and pending tests. I’m a nurse and have direct, hands on care for these patients and often spend significant amounts of time within a foot or two of them.

I guess I’m curious what you think I’m wearing when I’m treating COVID-19 patients?

That's literally what a PAPR is.

Yes, an N95 is 95% of .3 micron particles. So, that's actually the appropriate level of protection for covid.

That's how PAPRs work. It's pushing filtered air using whatever filter cartridge you use such as an N95 (not purified compressed air), and they're generally open at the bottom since it's a positive pressure system. That last part is why they're generally more effective than wearing the same filter specification on a mask, since masks can leak (especially N95 partial face respirators), whereas the only way ambient air enters a PAPR is through the filter.

It doesn't need an airtight neck seal...none of the ones I used as a healthcare provider ever had neck seals.

Josh, myself, and the other healthcare providers might have a clue what we're talking about.

ETA: No comment about the actual build quality of the device, but I wouldn't consider the price indicative of such compared to professional-use devices as the latter have to go through expensive biomedical approvals...that while guarantee a minimum level of quality, adds a significant expense to the consumer and are not a standard that isn't easily replicated, hence why OSHA has exempted alternative respirators for "good faith effort" emergency covid use, such as KN95s, and people have generally been okay.
    This system isn't a positive pressure one-way system, though. It has both input and exhaust fans. Worse, those fans are not on the belt line like a PAPR system, they're both on the neckline. I suspect if one does some real world testing on this system, they will find it is recycling exhaled air as much as pulling in new air. If the system leaks at all, the recirculation effect is likely to be worsened.

Site Supporter
    So, the obvious and easily missed part of a PAPR, is that all of the exhaust is completely unfiltered. Which means, that while you are protecting yourself from harmful exhalations, you are actively blowing your own exhalations around your space. (From the neck/ear area, everyone before is correct, it pressurizes the hood/helmet, it doesn't seal tightly around the head.)

Which means, PAPRs are great when everyone is wearing them (or other appropriate PPE respirators), but not nearly as good when somebody else isn't. Like the patient. I'm pretty sure I'm not going to give my cases Covid so it's cool by me. And everyone alive in the room is wearing PPE for their own protection.

Comparing a PAPR to a gas-mask is night and day. The both work the same, it's just that the work of breathing in a gas-mask is don't by the wearer and a tight seal is required. With the PAPR, an electric motor is doing the work. Before we bought this system, we had to use gas-masks for cases with organic respiratory irritants. Rather than being sealed inside a claustrophobic mask, with a PAPR you have a light breeze blowing past your face. You can't hear for crap, because of the air whooshing past your ears, but otherwise, a very pleasant experience.

User Tag List