Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Let the savagery out...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by CleverNickname View Post
    For that much you might as well just get a milspec gas mask and some NBC filters.
    Local MMA trainers use those silly altitude masks...Not to simulate altitude, but to build intercostal muscles to help the fighters breathe should they end up on the bottom. With all this hysteria, I will be wearing my issue gas mask to the gym....

pat

For that much you might as well just get a milspec gas mask and some NBC filters.
    Or a lot of groceries, and stay the fuck at home.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Site Supporter
    Silly looks aside, to the comment about wearing a gas mask instead of a PAPR system, the PAPR does not require a facial seal (so all you bearded guys can still be protected) *and* the PAPR doesn't introduce a restriction to your breathing (so all you cigar smokers and / or sofa sitters can still use it even though you possibly / probably might fail a respirator fitness test).

Also, a respirator / gas mask / whatever you want to call it gets pretty hot in the heat of summer, while the PAPR system's air often feels cooler than ambient.

There've been some silly comments about face masks making people unable to work out or whatever, but there's a big difference between something making you feel uncomfortable (face mask) and something introducing a true restriction to your breathing (respirator). Maybe everyone who says they can't wear a mask because they can't breathe in it while exerting themselves should buy one of these PAPR systems

3M has had an excellent welding PAPR system for years; I have one of the shields that'll adapt to it, but am still old-fashioned and wear my P100 respirator under it instead of dropping the big $$ for the PAPR. I figure that climbing around on things wearing 30 lbs of leathers and fall harness while dragging leads or swinging a sledgehammer all while wearing a respirator means that I don't need a gym membership.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    ...but does it play "Rocket Man" on repeat?
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I can’t believe that’s real.

What

The

It's a chastity hood.

I get that ya'll think it's funny and maybe have never seen these before, think they're a new invention for people unreasonably afraid of Covid, and think it's retarded....but PAPRs have been around for a while and are an excellent mode of protection compared to most anything else due to the ergonomic advantages they offer. We used them when I was on the ebola response team for my hospital, as well as for some other infectious patients, even though those viruses were exponentially less contagious. If I was in a situation where I felt the need to wear an N95 for extended periods of time, I'd shell out the money in a heartbeat for one of these. You don't quite "get it" until you've actually tried doing work in a respirator with a proper seal. I don't necessarily feel the need to buy one of these because of my working conditions, but I'd never shit on anyone for wearing them.

This is all just sort of childish, no different than people who proclaim you're a freak because you wear a gun and tourniquet everyday because they come from a social environment where doing so is viewed as eccentric and a sign of unreasonable paranoia even though there's perfectly objective reasons for doing so. Even some gun forums have a "culture" of insinuating you're a paranoid freak with ninja fantasies because you carry a double stack pistol, reload and a clinchpick. For those of us who are LEOs, it's no different than the guys at work who make fun of you for being a tacklberry or wannabe-vigilante because you carry off duty; i.e., having a gun on you is only socially acceptable when some group norm not based on objectivity but rather peer pressure says so.

...and they're basically saying that because of their inferiority complex and your habits making them uncomfortable.

Why? PAPRs are a better option than a gas mask in anything but field conditions where maintaining a power source (batteries) is problematic. I can't think of one situation where I'd rather have a fucking gas mask outside 1) emergency planning/preparations, and 2) extended field use in an austere environment where I can't charge batteries, or swap for fresh batteries.

ETA: Not to mention, the ubiquitous Glock 19 of gas masks, the Avon C-50, is almost twice as much as this device.
    Last edited by TGS; 11-21-2020 at 01:32 AM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

This seems like a sensible product, to me. Let he who is without TQs, spare magazines, speed loaders, and, for that matter, a pistol and knife, cast the first stone.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Site Supporter
    If I had to fly a lot for work right now, I'd definitely consider it. Wearing a mask on a 12 hour overseas flight would suck.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

"Alexa, show me a thread on the internet that didn't go the way the OP thought it would..."

User Tag List