Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The mostest bestest 22 handgun ever

The mostest bestest 22 handgun ever

Just got rid of my M&P22. It was a great gun, ran great, and especially when I was shooting M&P's was a good understudy that I used to develop draw speed and get cost effective reps. I also used it as a suppressor host and general backyard pest eliminator:

That said, there are much better "pure .22" platforms out there. I'm thinking either a Ruger or Browning Buckmark platform. I like the Buckmark better for its more open chamber area and therefore easier ability to be kept clean; especially with high volumes of suppressed fire.

What I really want is something like the gun below. Where I'm struggling is to find anything on the ability to attach a rail to the Tac Sol Barrel.

Anyone been down this road and could offer some insight? Also, about mounting the dot. It'll be an RM06 for me, and just wondering if there's a better/cleaner way than the pic mount to a rail. Looking for bombproof TEOTWAWKI shiz.

Thanks!

Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Interested to see where the conversations go. Looks like the pistol should be a Ruger Mark IV 22/45 Tactical per https://ruger.com/products/markIV224...al/models.html

How to mount the RMR is always the issue. With the Ruger, most people opt for a mount replacing the rear sight or a mount that covers the ejection port. Examples at http://maddmacsprecisiontactical.com...on-rmrreg.html

Both, IMHO, are not optimal. One removes the rear sight, and the other can impact ejection.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    Interested to see where the conversations go. Looks like the pistol should be a Ruger Mark IV 22/45 Tactical per https://ruger.com/products/markIV224...al/models.html

How to mount the RMR is always the issue. With the Ruger, most people opt for a mount replacing the rear sight or a mount that covers the ejection port. Examples at http://maddmacsprecisiontactical.com...on-rmrreg.html

Both, IMHO, are not optimal. One removes the rear sight, and the other can impact ejection.
    I use the Maddmaccs center mount with a Holosun and find it to be the optimal solution. Havent had any ejection issues, and it mounts lower than another mount I tried, and much lower than the factory pic rail.

I would definitely reccomend the 22/45 Tactical.

Nice underrated thing about the Rugers - since there's a defined ejection port (and not the whole top of the slide opening up), any spit back/carbon/crud/etc that gets ejected doesn't go straight up or back to the shooter...it tends to mostly go out the side, away from the shooter's face. Your glasses get significantly less peppered with carbon and crud IME..

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Ed View Post
    Nice underrated thing about the Rugers - since there's a defined ejection port (and not the whole top of the slide opening up), any spit back/carbon/crud/etc that gets ejected doesn't go straight up or back to the shooter...it tends to mostly go out the side, away from the shooter's face. Your glasses get significantly less peppered with carbon and crud IME..
    That's a really good thought, especially with the dot!
    Food Court Apprentice

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    TacSol has a rail that keeps the Buck Mark rear sight.

https://tacticalsol.com/Detail.aspx?...6871&CAT=12588

Browning has made a variety of models with a Pic rail section under the barrel over the years. I'd call up Browning CS or a place like Midwest Gun Works and see if they can direct you to the part you need. Another company's barrel might have to be drilled & tapped to mount it, but it should work. If you dig around, you might find a factory Buck Mark model with an aluminum barrel and underlug. They make a lot of different flavors. Currently, they make a fluted/threaded/lite and a non-fluted/non-threaded/lite/rail model.

I'd probably just buy a TacSol barrel and put it on whatever Buck Mark I could get for the least money. D&T for the under-rail.

Locked and Loaded seems to be the lowest-price source for TacSol stuff when I've checked lately. Multiple orders from them - they ship slowly, but I've never had a problem.

ETA: Saw a post on RFC where someone at TacSol said they have an under-barrel rail section for Buck Marks with 0.900" bull barrels, but it wasn't on their site. Call TacSol CS and ask what they can do for you.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 11-20-2020 at 03:54 PM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    TacSol has a rail that keeps the Buck Mark rear sight.

https://tacticalsol.com/Detail.aspx?...6871&CAT=12588

Browning has made a variety of models with a Pic rail section under the barrel over the years. I'd call up Browning CS or a place like Midwest Gun Works and see if they can direct you to the part you need. Another company's barrel might have to be drilled & tapped to mount it, but it should work. If you dig around, you might find a factory Buck Mark model with an aluminum barrel and underlug. They make a lot of different flavors.

I'd probably just buy a TacSol barrel and put it on whatever Buck Mark I could get for the least money. D&T for the under-rail.

Locked and Loaded seems to be the lowest-price source for TacSol stuff when I've checked lately. Multiple orders from them - they ship slowly, but I've never had a problem.
    I spoke with TacSol this afternoon and the D&T barrel for light rail is no longer a factory option. They don't offer the rail anymore either, so this would be 100% a gunsmith operation. I hate to say it, but there's not a gunsmith in my area (Atlanta, GA) I'd trust to perform this operation. I've used several for projects over the years, including some big name outfits, and ALWAYS had problems.

I might just have to forego the LW barrel unless I can find it as a factory option from either Ruger or Browning. I know Ruger offers a MkIV currently with an under-rail, but believe it's a full weight bull barrel.
    Food Court Apprentice

If you want the light barrel, keep an eye on Volquartsen's clearance page at https://volquartsen.com/clearance as they dump unused uppers from pistols purchased for the frames. The Lite uppers show up for about $100 every few weeks. Combined with a 22/45 lower and bolt from any pistol, and you can build your own. I used a Ruger 40107 which is the least expensive 22/45 for my frame. The unserialized frame is the hard part to get as Ruger does not sell just the frames, and it cannot be copied right now due to patent protections.

I bought from Volquartsen the all-steel bull upper for $40 and the four-inch fixed upper for $35; both prices were delivered to my FFL. New bolt assemblies are sold by Volquartsen on eBay for about $35. With some careful shopping, you can get what you want with a reasonably small outlay.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    The cheapest price I've been quoted to thread a Buck Mark barrel around here or at Adco was about the same as just buying the TS threaded barrel online.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Browning lists at least three models of the Buckmark with an under barrel pic rail. May want to check them out.

User Tag List