Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Why aren't there better sub-compact DA/SA options?

Why aren't there better sub-compact DA/SA options?

DA/SA is really appealing to me for a lot of reasons. Particularly for carying aiwb. But sll of the DA/SA options tend to be midsized. CZ P07, P01, etc. These are the size of a glock 19, and significantly heavier than a glock 19.

With striker fired we have an entire class of guns that doesn't exist in the hammer fired world. Sig p365/p365xl, glock 43/43x, etc.

I bought a P-01 and I absolutely love it. But it's additional weight and size is noticeable over a smaller gun.

Why aren't there more hammer fired options in the subcompact world? The best option I know of is the PX4 Storm compact. But it's damn near the same weight and size as a P07 yet has only a 3.3" barrel. Ewwe

I ordered a sig P365XL to have a lighter carry gun, but I really like thumbing the hammer on the CZ and have mixed feelings about carrying the Sig aiwb since it doesn't have that option.

The closest option I know of is a glock with the little plate on the back that you can thumb to prevent a negligent discharge. Maybe I need to suck it up and enter the glock world?

DA/SA are more complex action mechanisms in my understanding. They simply have more stuff to fit in.

There is the Springfield Xd-e model available from Langdon Tactical. I'll agree that this is a hole in the market, albeit rather niche. Most who value the DA first pull are willing to deal with all DA pulls in subcompact guns. That lends to small revolvers, Kahr, and stuff like that being used more than DA/SA stuff I think.

Walther P99c. It's striker-fired, but it's DA/SA and roughly identical to a G26 in size. DA is a smooth 9-ish pounds, and the SA is essentially identical to the PPQ trigger.

I no longer see a lot of point in subcompacts if we are talking about appendix carry, not to say there isn't value in overall small guns and thin guns though. One issue I can see is the mainspring having far less space in a subcompact potentially causing issues like awful triggers.

Quote Originally Posted by pastaslinger View Post
    I no longer see a lot of point in subcompacts if we are talking about appendix carry...
    ^^^This. With a modern AIWB holster like the JMCK wing claw 2.5, a P-07 carries so easily that I almost never bother with anything else. I haven't carried anything but a P-07 or a snubby (LCR 9mm) in over a year*.

I still have an irrational desire for a CZ Rami.

*Wait. That's not true. I have a G26 that serves a particular purpose in a particular place, and is easy-on / easy-off. But I don't find the 26 any easier to carry, and I shoot the P-07 measurably better.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by matto View Post
    DA/SA is really appealing to me for a lot of reasons. Particularly for carying aiwb. But sll of the DA/SA options tend to be midsized. CZ P07, P01, etc. These are the size of a glock 19, and significantly heavier than a glock 19.

With striker fired we have an entire class of guns that doesn't exist in the hammer fired world. Sig p365/p365xl, glock 43/43x, etc.

I bought a P-01 and I absolutely love it. But it's additional weight and size is noticeable over a smaller gun.

Why aren't there more hammer fired options in the subcompact world? The best option I know of is the PX4 Storm compact. But it's damn near the same weight and size as a P07 yet has only a 3.3" barrel. Ewwe

I ordered a sig P365XL to have a lighter carry gun, but I really like thumbing the hammer on the CZ and have mixed feelings about carrying the Sig aiwb since it doesn't have that option.

The closest option I know of is a glock with the little plate on the back that you can thumb to prevent a negligent discharge. Maybe I need to suck it up and enter the glock world?

There isn't a perceived, significant demand that would induce the manufacturers to pursue the engineering and marketing.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    ^^^This. With a modern AIWB holster like the JMCK wing claw 2.5, a P-07 carries so easily that I almost never bother with anything else.
    I wanted a keepers holster for my P-01 but they don't make one. I bought a Vedder Lighttuck for my P-01 and Ruger SR9C. I love it for the Ruger but not so much for the P-01. It not bad but I can't say that the gun disappears.

Maybe I should try a JMCK for my P01 (and P07 when it arrives)
    Last edited by matto; 12-04-2020 at 11:10 PM.

Site Supporter
    S&W Chiefs Specials based on the 3913/4013 were very much what it sounds like you are looking for, but have been out of production for some time. There is a spot in my safe reserved for a couple of them, if I ever find one I can afford.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I've had my P250s apart, and I see no reason that action couldn't be packaged into a P365 size gun. Make it a P265XL and I'd be all over it.

Packaging and trigger niceness does seem to be a thing. SP101s apparently have a shorter spring strut stroke than GPs, so are believed to require an inherently heavier pull weight to stay reliable. USP Compacts have a shorter spring strut and aren't quite as slick as full sizes.

I've talked with Frank Glenn about the DAO 3rd gen Smiths and he said in all the work he did with them back in the day, any significant lightening of the press was incompatible with sufficient ignition reliability. I was specifically asking about DAOs, so I don't know whether that still applies to the non-DAO models.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    I don't AIWB, so I would like a thinner/smaller DA/SA option.

User Tag List