Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: I went back to just irons and I might like it better

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    Live rounds have been fired. One thing I do prefer on dots as opposed to irons is the ability to fine tune POI without playing musical sights. These are the same PN’s from Ameriglo I had on this pistol before the RMR and they shot center X at 25yds. Not going to 100% call it yet, indoor range lighting and all, but it seems I may have to drive the dot a little more with these. For a 100% CC gun, not a huge issue, but not my preference. First world problems. First and last of 4 25yd targets today:

Attachment 65011
    Attachment 65012
    I'll perk up when the new unit projects a holographic heads up display over my slide. That'll get my attention!
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter
    It's an interesting discussion for someone just getting into it after many years shooting with irons. I'm totally seeing the benefits of RDS just as I did when I switched over on my rifles, years ago. With the main advantage being the increase in speed and precision on target beyond 15y or so.

However, in my limited experience with them so far, there's one big difference compared to when I switched from irons to RDS on rifles year back. On pistols, or at least MY pistols, it seems like everything is not good to go yet, feels like the market is still in infancy, there are still teething and reliability problems, problems with lack of standards around mounting, sights are more like an afterthought rather than integrated into pistol design, etc. etc. Doesn't mean they're bad or you give up on them completely, but it's gonna take more commitment to get them completely dialed in. And of course there's the cost of equipping several pistols. I get why some folks choose to hold off for now, even though the benefit is real.
    Last edited by maximus83; 12-23-2020 at 05:03 PM.

Just something to think about:

Had more than one individual proclaim their love of the dot until they got to use a dot equipped sim gun in force on force. More than one said they were going back to irons after using both in FoF.

Me personally, I don’t use a dot for a couple main reasons:

1) I have perfect vision

2) I’m faster with irons when doing FoF.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Warped Mindless View Post
    Just something to think about:

Had more than one individual proclaim their love of the dot until they got to use a dot equipped sim gun in force on force. More than one said they were going back to irons after using both in FoF.

Me personally, I don’t use a dot for a couple main reasons:

1) I have perfect vision

2) I’m faster with irons when doing FoF.
    Are all of your FOF scenarios reactionary or defensive in nature, or do you have some that are more offensive as well (ie back-shooting somebody who is distracted or ambushing a home invader?)

ETA: One other question. Are you shooting your irons in FOF with a target focus or hard sight focus?
    Last edited by Caballoflaco; 12-23-2020 at 05:41 PM.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    Are all of your FOF scenarios reactionary or defensive in nature, or do you have some that are more offensive as well (ie back-shooting somebody who is distracted or ambushing a home invader?)
    80/20 reactionary/offensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post

ETA: One other question. Are you shooting your irons in FOF with a target focus or hard sight focus?
    Just seen your second question. Instead of having a hard front sight focus and blurry target, I switch it around. Focus on the target and use motor memory to get the gun up and aligned and have a blurry front sight.

User Tag List