Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: I went back to just irons and I might like it better

Quote Originally Posted by JAH 3rd View Post
    So one day while pistol shooting at paper targets, it dawned on me, "Why aren't you buying paper targets with coloring that contrasts with your sights?" You know what, it helped. I shoot black iron sights so now I look for orange or some other color that contrasts with those sights. It does help. I tend to shoot POA/POI as opposed to 6 o'clock.
    That's interesting. @Tom_Jones did a B-8 target with both orange and white centers, IIRC, somethere in the "Printable Target's" thread.

I'll have to go hunt that down. I thought it was pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    I’m a minimalist in terms of what is easier and faster to poke holes in shitbags with

Irons - no thanks.
    You right
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I think there's a lot to be learned by shooting handguns with an RDS. I don't regret putting in time with it, and will always have RDS-equipped pistols. Even if you'll never carry it or compete with it, a dot gun is a good tool for improving your shooting. For me, the improvement carried over to my iron-sight shooting.

I can shoot slightly better with a dot in most situations, but it's not enough of a performance advantage to outweigh the disadvantages. So I don't use a dot on my carry guns.
    You have an amazing ability to read my mind and put into words the things I would like to express.

Anyway. Shoot better with a dot without a dot. Significantly so? Meh. Slowly moving the carry fleet dotward, but no rush.

I have also recently equipped all the main carry guns with flashlight laser combos and like this quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    That's interesting. @Tom_Jones did a B-8 target with both orange and white centers, IIRC, somethere in the "Printable Target's" thread.

I'll have to go hunt that down. I thought it was pretty cool.
    Found it:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....l=1#post560046

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    I took Tom's idea and made one with orange X and 10 rings:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....=1#post1145175

At this point a dot is just not a must for me. I gave them a go a few years back when I got a P320 compact slide with a dot and I added an DPP to my X-Carry. I just may give them a try again one day, but for now I will pass.

Site Supporter
    I’m still a novice shooter for sure, and my carry gun for now is irons only. That being said, my current dry fire gun (that will hopefully be carried) is a P30V1 with a dot. I’m finding that while the index and grip angle don’t translate between that and my Glock 45, my trigger control and ability to use a target focus out to about 15 yards in live fire have both improved.

Is it cool to carry a Glock with irons again? #AskingForAFriend
    #RESIST

My long and short - RDS pistols are tools. Some folks have a brain that I think is well wired to shoot a dot and translate it to irons and switch back and forth, others probably do not.

I did not initially learn to shoot iron sights with a target focus or with both eyes open and found it virtually impossible to do. One trip down the lane with a dot-equipped pistol allowed me to develop both skills and translate them back to irons. Now I can do target focused shooting with both eyes open. So for me, a dot is/was an extremely useful tool in eliminating old habits. That's what I got out of my first foray into dot land.

I found it difficult to get a consistent index and shoot the dot as quickly as I did irons. What I realized then and what I still believe now is...shooting a dot-equipped pistol requires enough initial retraining of the brain that it's not a 'short-term' exercise. You have to get into it, committed, to learning how to run the dot on a pistol. At the time (and now), I wasn't able to commit the effort needed to get up to speed (literally and figuratively) with the dot. Like trying to 'master' multiple types of triggers simultaneously, it isn't a good idea.

If you're going to run a dot-equipped gun, I suggest you shelve everything else and focus on shooting/dryfire the dot entirely for ~6-12 months. I would not try to move back and forth between dot and no dot guns. Once you're over the initial hump of the learning curve, you'll likely be able to go back to irons without an issue, whether you'll want to is a different story.

___

I have a dot equipped gun in the safe right now. And I'll be building a second one Soon™ to take a deep dive back into dots probably next year or 2022. This I'll be doing in anticipation of continued vision degeneration. I'm in no risk of going blind, but my father was using bifocals by the time he was 40. I suspect I won't be too far behind that age when I'll need them too. At that point even a blurry dot and target focus will get the job done. I know that from shooting red-dots on rifles and shotguns.

And in an effort to simplify my life and brain...I'll be setting up all my defensive oriented long-guns in a similar manner, including the shotguns.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Is it cool to carry a Glock with irons again? #AskingForAFriend
    It never stopped being cool.

User Tag List