Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: I went back to just irons and I might like it better

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    I want red dots on everything now. Glocks, eventually my SD9VE, pellet guns, the spray nozzle on the garden hose. Everything.

Attachment 64971
    Same

Im 14 Months, 75k Rounds (lncluding 30k of Rimfire) on red dot pistols.

I continue to set personal bests in speed and accuracy each time I try new drills (Tier one concealed 3 7’s challenge coin #40 in coming)

I’m never going back to irons.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Same

Im 14 Months, 75k Rounds (lncluding 30k of Rimfire) on red dot pistols.

I continue to set personal bests in speed and accuracy each time I try new drills (Tier one concealed 3 7’s challenge coin #40 in coming)

What rimfire?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    What rimfire?
    Junky 22/45 mK4 with a venom dot on a lobos mount.

All the springs have been replaced 2x with VQ units

It still mostly works. +power mag springs are recommend to push through the crud

It’s goofy quiet with this 9mm can

Name:  439D77CB-60BB-4437-91C6-D65CC8EE8DDC.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  44.7 KB

Still with the M&P?

Hammertime
    I had a chance to shoot some long range steel yesterday. I also zeroed some ARs.

Zeroing the red dot rifles was incredibly easier than the iron sighted ones.

Since we were at a rifle range I pulled out the red dot G45 and sighted on the fairly large 2X2' steel at 100yds: first shot hit then the second. Then it became sort of boring. Tried for the 200 yard plate: Took a bit to figure out elevation, but then the hits started there. The hardest part was estimating elevation with the target hidden behind the stupid big iron front sight.

So yeah, while I actually don't carry a dot currently, they are an incredible performance enhancer and any range over 15 yards. Once I get a few pistols and dots vetted I am going back to dot carry. With a WML as well, for that matter.

The main drama is finding time to dink around with them and vet the various set ups. That is what drove me from them four years ago, but I think it is time to come back, lock in a couple carry pistols and call it good.

Name:  355E796A-FCFF-4CEA-8A89-89ADAB401227.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  62.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    Still with the M&P?

Name:  355E796A-FCFF-4CEA-8A89-89ADAB401227.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  62.5 KB
    They all look kinda like Glocks, but the bottom two with that weird thing on the the end of the barrels, are those brad nailers?
    Cause they look like brad nailers.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    They all look kinda like Glocks, but the bottom two with that weird thing on the the end of the barrels, are those brad nailers?
    Cause they look like brad nailers.
    I’ve never nailed anyone named Brad

His sisters Lisa and Tara though.....

I continue to set personal bests in speed and accuracy each time I try new drills ...

That's awesome. What more can we ask than to continue to work hard and improve?

I had a similar yearly centerfire burn rate prior to the pandemic, and also continue to expand my limits and increase consistency.

However, I prefer shooting pistols with iron sights. I've explored the full range of USPSA divisions (well, not revolver). I bought (and sold) an Open gun. I'm not sure how to explain it, but I found Open kind of boring. I've tried CO, and it's a lot more fun than Open. But Production is still the essence of what practical shooting means to me.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    Obviously this has been an off year for at least live fire for most of us for obvious reasons. I'm only at 1,545 live 9mm rounds for the year and the last ones were back in mid-August. That said, I do keep up with a fairly simple, yet useful dry fire routine. I judge its usefulness by the lack of performance fall off I've seen this year when I do get to live fire.

For those that care, it is as follows and I do it 2-4X per week:

10 clean presses 2 handed freestyle
    10 clean presses SHO
    10 clean presses WHO

A clean press means not movement of the dot/sights through the press to completion of break. A failure at any point of the process requires starting over again.

I also work presentations from concealment and (to a lesser degree) reloads. I probably work presentations 1-2X per week and reloads 1-2X per month. Part of the reason for not working the reload as much is that I've worked it quite a bit in the past and with a full-size frame (G17, G45, etc) can sit under 1.5 pretty comfortably. Conversely I cannot get my big meaty heel out of the way with a G19 enough to get the mag to reliably drop, and as I'm not gaming currently and the reality of a speed reload in a CCW gun fight is pretty low, I just don't focus on it as much.

Anyway, I took the RMR off my G19 yesterday and started working with irons again. 2 things:

1. I think I like it, like REALLY like it
    2. Holy target focus Batman! It took like 15 min for my brain to switch to a front sight focus on presentation again.

I still think the dot has its advantages, primarily for distance shooting and I will probably go back to one, but neither do I consider it the "must have" that so many seem to.
    Live rounds have been fired. One thing I do prefer on dots as opposed to irons is the ability to fine tune POI without playing musical sights. These are the same PN’s from Ameriglo I had on this pistol before the RMR and they shot center X at 25yds. Not going to 100% call it yet, indoor range lighting and all, but it seems I may have to drive the dot a little more with these. For a 100% CC gun, not a huge issue, but not my preference. First world problems. First and last of 4 25yd targets today:

Name:  054295AC-698A-4908-9D9D-C0F826080262.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  60.3 KB
    Name:  F20B83A3-F56A-4438-A3E8-B3CB2CF77D9E.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  60.3 KB
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

User Tag List