Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BUIS in humid climates and A/C

I’ve had it happen. Jumped out of a car with A/C on as we blocked the bad guys vehicle. The EOTech fogged and my irons were also useless. I almost transitioned to my pistol but I was close enough I knew I’d get hits if it came to that.

I wish LE would trend toward offset irons as normal.

I've shot matches where fogging was a problem. Biggest one was during a Run'n'Gun at rock castle. It was warm and raining outside. I had a long wait in the cave which felt a LOT cooler than above ground. After shooting in the cave and then crawling out everything fogged up: glasses, scope, piggyback MRDS.

After that match I started coating everything in antifog. Seems to work, and doesn't effect the image in my scope or MRDS.

I've also encountered this when quickly proning out after running up to a stage. One accidental exhale fogs the scope, or looking over the scope to spot targets. MRDS ce in handy in those cases.

I recommend applying anti fog compound if you think it'll be a problem.

I’m humbled by the ask, but I’m far from a voice of even okay-ish competency on such. Following with interest though!
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    I recommend applying anti fog compound if you think it'll be a problem.
    Any specific recommendation for the anti-fog?

I begin to see some logic in this setup beyond mere durability.

https://choose.tikka.fi/usa/tikka/t3x-arctic
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Any specific recommendation for the anti-fog?

I begin to see some logic in this setup beyond mere durability.

https://choose.tikka.fi/usa/tikka/t3x-arctic
    I've been using this. It works.
    https://www.amazon.com/EK-Ekcessorie.../dp/B002L9GG56

Irons aren't perfect either. Last race I ended up with mud pressed into the top of my Safarliand ALS holster. The back of my 19 was packed with clay mud, including the rear sight. Didn't realize until I drew mid stage and saw a glob of orange instead of a sight picture. Tried to wipe it clean, but I couldn't clear the rear notch with my fingers. I shot off an index, and the recoil managed to toss most, but not all, of the clay.

The last I heard, Paul Howe recommended Cat Crap.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    The last I heard, Paul Howe recommended Cat Crap.
    This.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Amazon also sells what appears to be a knock-off product called Scope Dope.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002L9GG56/

After a little digging, it's the same stuff from the same company that sells Cat Crap:

https://ekusa.com/product/scope-dope/

Just might be a little cheaper.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Huge reason why all my optics are removable by hand.

You can get conditions down here in coastal South Texas where everything just sweats, can’t wipe it off or stop it without heating up whatever is sweating.

BUIP

BUIS and BUIP. Back-Up-Iron-Shotgun and Back-Up-Iron-Pistol.

Actually, I have yet to really field optics, on firearms. When I was certified to carry an AR15 patrol carbine, the policy was iron-sights-only. I had a couple of different optics on a Mini-14, including an Aimpoint T-1, but it was just a range toy. I mounted an RMR on a G19 MOS just long enough to make sure I liked the concept, then removed it, as the RMR was intended to be used as an alternate low-light-sight on a long gun, as it is the one with the tritium-powered triangle, so not a best carry pistol optic for all conditions. I now have a milled G45 slide, with an ACRO, to use on my G19X, but I still need to vet it for reliability, which has been totally interrupted by COVIDity.

Wearing eyeglasses, carrying binoculars for various purposes, and carrying cameras and lenses for evidentiary/forensic/ crime scene photography, plus personal photography, is how I have accumulated practical experience with optics in humid conditions. What is really fun is to experience condensation on internal optical elements, INSIDE a lens. That can take hours to dissipate. A time or two, I drove home to get another lens, as that was quicker than waiting for a lens to de-fog its internal elements.

I have always been leery of using any anti-fog products on coated optics.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

User Tag List