Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Gen 2 Atom LT on sale $199

Really tempted. I'm 5'11", 182lbs, usually wear an XL because of my shoulders.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeJumper View Post
    Which Patagonia equivalent do you have...Nano Puff? I have an Atom LT, but really digging my Kuiu gear for work and off work. Always look every year at the Nano Puff when on sale at REI
    Yes, Nano Puff in a weird blue. The Arcteryx fits closer, which I prefer.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Really tempted. I'm 5'11", 182lbs, usually wear an XL because of my shoulders.
    On paper we’re the same size, a large works for me.

FWIW, both US Elite and another big Arcteryx LEAF distributor, Tactical Distributors, have both the unhooded and hooded versions of this on sale ($215 for the hooded). If you're on the fence on sizes I saw something about free returns on the TD site--no experience, so I'd read the terms carefully.

I've had both an early Atom LT and a Nano Puff for several years--will try to post some thoughts here in a bit. Putting the Atom on and taking the dog out now...

Here's a good current resource:

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topic...field=#compare

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeJumper View Post
    Which Patagonia equivalent do you have...Nano Puff? I have an Atom LT, but really digging my Kuiu gear for work and off work. Always look every year at the Nano Puff when on sale at REI
    Missed the edit window, have to requote. I have a Nano Air, not Puff. Smooth outer shell, not quilted.

I have an older Atom LT (about 10 years) and a Nano Puff (about 8 years), both without hoods and in size medium (5'10" 175 lbs). Both Patagucci and Arcteryx have introduced a number of newer variants since then, like @Norville 's Nano Air. Some of those might be better fits for certain types of intended use, so definitely worth a look at the comparison on the review site I posted previously.

For me (and this is definitely subjective), the Nano Puff has been better as a standalone piece--it is a bit warmer and more wind resistant (it doesn't have the breathable side panels that Atom does), and I'd say it has a bit more water resistance (you'd need a shell over either pretty quickly in heavy rain). The Atom is better under a shell, and when you are more active (the Nano Puff lining gets kind of slimy/sticky when you start sweating). The Nano Puff has a much boxier fit and a shiny finish, and a draw cord adjustable waist...the Atom is matte finished and more fitted, with a gathered waist. The Atom has nice lined pockets and good arm cuffs. The collar on the Atom is a bit lower than than the Nano Puff, and has a nicer lining. Both have internal chest pockets that are pretty useless--the external pocket on the Gen 2 Atom will be a lot more useful.

Both have been great, but I've gotten a lot more use out of the Nano Puff (my wife has one as well, and loves hers). I've always wished I could combine the features of the two--there likely are jackets out now that come pretty close to that, but both of these are still going strong (I did catch the Nano on something and rip it, but Patagonia repaired it for free).
    Last edited by Gater; 11-21-2020 at 10:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gater View Post
    FWIW, both US Elite and another big Arcteryx LEAF distributor, Tactical Distributors, have both the unhooded and hooded versions of this on sale ($215 for the hooded). If you're on the fence on sizes I saw something about free returns on the TD site--no experience, so I'd read the terms carefully.

I've had both an early Atom LT and a Nano Puff for several years--will try to post some thoughts here in a bit. Putting the Atom on and taking the dog out now...

Here's a good current resource:

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topic...field=#compare
    I like Outdoorgearlab.com. You really want a dirtbag climber living out of his truck doing gear reviews. He spends more time outdoors than any 20 P-F gear dorks put together (including me.).

PS. The Atom gets beat by the $105 Rab Xenon.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky Racoon View Post
    I like Outdoorgearlab.com. You really want a dirtbag climber living out of his truck doing gear reviews. He spends more time outdoors than any 20 P-F gear dorks put together (including me.).

PS. The Atom gets beat by the $105 Rab Xenon.
    I saw that but I really don't like the loud, crinkly finish on the Xenon.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky Racoon View Post
    LOL, exactly. Helmet compatibility of hoods and climbing harness compatibility of pockets hasn't been a major issue for me when walking the dog, which I have to admit is most of my outdoor time these days.

Here's another review site with a comparison including Atom LT and Nano Puff:

https://www.switchbacktravel.com/bes...ulated-jackets

I wish this deal was for a hoody Atom.
    #RESIST

User Tag List