Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you doing to your production/ssp guns?

Quote Originally Posted by gringop View Post
    4. Guide rods made of a material different from the factory part
    it replaces.
    The non-captive guide rod in my M&P is steel, the same material as the factory guide rod. My IDPA lawyering kit includes printouts from reputable sources where this mod was deemed legal for SSP. One of the prominent IDPA Masters who has blessed this mod on multiple forums was a CSO at the match I just ran.

We are diminished
    Agreed, the non-captured rods have always been legal for Glocks.

Well if it was truly banned then so be it. But i still tend to think no one would bat an eye at what i did. I have no interest in cheating just want my gun to work with me as a well oiled machine with as few snags and hiccups as possible.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by sheperd80; 06-27-2012 at 12:00 AM.

We are diminished
    SSP
    PERMITTED Modifications (Inclusive list):
    1. Sights may be changed to another conventional notch and post type (see “sights” in glossary for further information).
    2. Grips may be changed to another style or material that is similar to factory configuration (no weighted grips; see “weighted grips” in glossary for further details).
    3. A slip-on grip sock and/or skateboard tape may be used.
    4. Internal action work may be used to enhance trigger pull as long as safety is maintained (no visible external modifications allowed).
    5. Reliability work may be done to enhance feeding and ejection.
    6. Internal accuracy may be worked to include replacement of barrel with one of factory configuration and original caliber.
    7. Plastic plugs may be used to fill the opening behind the magazine well.
    8. Custom finishes may be applied.
    ESP
    PERMITTED Modifications (Inclusive list): 1. Sights to another notch and post type (see “sights” in
    glossary for further information).
    2. Grips (no weighted grips; see “weighted grips” in glossary for further details).
    3. Enhanced Service Pistol Division (ESP)
    3. Internal accuracy work (includes: replacement of the barrel with one of factory configuration, the use of Accu-Rails, the use of Briley Bushings).
    4. Internal reliability work.
    5. Checker frontstrap and backstrap.
    6. Checker or square and checker trigger guard.
    7. Cosmetic checkering/serrating.
    8. Extended thumb (may be ambidextrous) and Beavertail grip safeties.
    9. Extended magazine release (button may not be oversize in diameter or protrude more than .2” out from the frame).
    10. Factory installed cone style barrels on pistols with a barrel length of 4.2” or less.
    11. Full length guide rod manufactured of material that is no heavier than common steel.
    12. Hammer and other trigger action parts to enhance trigger pull (includes the use of over travel stop).
    13. Beveled magazine well and add-on well extensions.
    14. Custom finishes.
    The fact that it's specifically listed under ESP and not SSP is dispositive. Beveling the mag well is not legal in SSP.

I've got no opinion on whether what the OP did to his mag well would constitute beveling under the rules, but I wouldn't use "no one can tell" as part of my justification...

This is why I ditched my SSP guns and went back to revolver. Less complicated.

I shoot a gen4 g17 in production.

My mods are ameriglo defoor sights and a glockmeister grip plug.

It does just fine for me.
    OEF Vet
    Reading and Learning

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post

I've got no opinion on whether what the OP did to his mag well would constitute beveling under the rules, but I wouldn't use "no one can tell" as part of my justification...
    Fair enough. Didnt mean it like im trying to sneak by with unnoticed modifications.

But its kind of ridiculous to just start shouting "cheater" over something so minor but i guess ( edited for tact--> ) internet people will be internet people....lol

Last edited by sheperd80; 06-27-2012 at 08:02 PM.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by sheperd80 View Post
    But its kind of ridiculous to just start shouting "cheater" over something so minor but i guess ( edited for tact--> ) internet people will be internet people....lol
    I went by your initial post, which specifically said you'd intended to "enhance the bevel" of your magwell. When it was pointed out that doing so was against the rules for SSP, your response was that the work was "almost not noticeable" and that at your club "they dont even look." You didn't say you thought you were within the rules, you said you thought it wouldn't get caught.

It was only later that you clarified and, most importantly, dropped the "enhance the bevel" claim.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rhines View Post
    I'll say here what I've said elsewhere - every modification you make to your competition pistol needs to be done with a specific purpose in mind. Tinkering with your guns 'just for fun' is a waste of time and money that could, and should, be better spent on ammo.

Also, remember that the equipment rules for USPSA Production are basically, "If it iz not mandantory, it iz forbidden!" In particular, moving any metal (or plastic) is verboten, unless it is for a purpose specifically covered in the rulebook. Here's the rulebook, Production equipment rules start at page 77.

But anyway, you asked what I do to my Production/SSP guns. So here's my list:
    1.) Take one recent-production Gen4 Glock 34.
    2.) Install a Lone Wolf 3.5# connector. ($15)
    3.) Install a Wolff extra power trigger spring. ($3)
    4.) Install a Glock Gen4 extended 'FBI' magazine release. ($4)
    5.) Snap in a Glockmeister Grip Plug. ($7)
    6.) Install a set of Warren Tactical sights, plain rear and fiber-optic front. As an aside, I've had the best luck with the 0.245" front sights on the long-slide Glocks. ($77)

That's it. Go shoot!

There are some things I'm going to be experimenting with in the near future - namely, I want to try an internal overtravel stop of some kind, to see if it helps with my long-range accuracy. I'm also thinking about having a Bar-Sto barrel fitted, same reason.

-C
    Two questions:

1) A few months back, Jeff Wilson from Glocktriggers.com told me that he would never use a non-Glock connector in a serious pistol. I reported that here, and not a week or two later, Todd broke his LW connector. I pulled them out of all my Glock pistols and replaced them with a factory - connector. Why are you running the LW connector instead of a factory -?

2) You mention improving accuracy, but also that you run a fiber optic front sight. In my testing, shooting the one inch square at 7 yards, and the 3x5 at 25 yards, my groups with a fiber optic front sight are about double what I shoot with a Trijicon HD set-up or a Heinie .235 serrated/tritium, painted orange, combined with a Warren tactical rear?

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    I went by your initial post, which specifically said you'd intended to "enhance the bevel" of your magwell. When it was pointed out that doing so was against the rules for SSP, your response was that the work was "almost not noticeable" and that at your club "they dont even look." You didn't say you thought you were within the rules, you said you thought it wouldn't get caught.

It was only later that you clarified and, most importantly, dropped the "enhance the bevel" claim.
    Well yeah i dropped the claim as it became apparent it was an overstatement of what was done, and was taken more seriously than i expected. Thats why i.posted the pic.

But anyway, i think were understanding each other at this point. I dont like cheaters anymore than the next guy. I just want to shoot and have fun while gaining some experience shooting under pressure.

User Tag List