Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you doing to your production/ssp guns?

I could be wrong but the apex trigger would be cheating?

Quote Originally Posted by cdunn View Post
    I could be wrong but the apex trigger would be cheating?
    The AEK trigger would be illegal in Production/SSP, because it's externally visible. The Apex DCAEK is good to go in Production, and I'm pretty sure it's okay in IDPA SSP as well. Oddly enough, the Apex Failure-Resistant Extractor is okay in USPSA Production, because it's specifically mentioned in the rulebook.

-C

I'm under the impression that the FSS isn't legal in SSP because of the change in the trigger, but the comp AEK may be legal because it's internal and isn't a frame mod. I haven't read up enough to see if there's a minimum weight though for SSP which may disqualify the comp AEK. I have the DCAEK, but shoot ESP because I stippled the front strap.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2

We are diminished
    Dear IDPA,

Please merge ESP and SSP. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by tremiles View Post
    I'm under the impression that the FSS isn't legal in SSP because of the change in the trigger, but the comp AEK may be legal because it's internal and isn't a frame mod. I haven't read up enough to see if there's a minimum weight though for SSP which may disqualify the comp AEK. I have the DCAEK, but shoot ESP because I stippled the front strap.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2
    There isnt a minimum trigger pull weight in SSP. As long as all safeties are in place obviously.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

My SSP gun is a two-week-old 5" M&P Pro that helped me get a match bump to EX last weekend.

Grip tape around grip and underside of trigger guard. An awesome mod that proved to be a liability when switching to WHO mid-stage. Couldn't get my hand to move where it needed to be.

Apex sear, RAM, USB & striker spring. Factory TRS and sear spring. Breaks at 3.8 lbs. Still managed to slap it under stress.

13lb recoil spring and non-captive guide rod. Mine wouldn't cycle my 147g loads running 130 PF with the factory recoil assembly. The slide stop was virtually impossible to operate by thumb with the stiff factory recoil spring, but got much easier with the lighter spring installed.

Will be getting a KKM barrel, soon. Accuracy with factory barrel is OK, but not stellar. Coming from a P30L, I was really dissappointed in how my M&P Pro groups at distance. I recently hit an 18" plate at 175 yds with the HK, but would struggle to do that at half the distance with the M&P. My ammo runs roughly 30-40 fps slower through the M&P than the P30l.

Factory sights are OK for now, but will probably try something with a smaller diameter fiber optic.

deleted

It's all there in Black and White ( and red). It doesn't matter what the local SO does or does not do. It does matter that you have the integrity to not cheat when the difference in shooting SSP vs. ESP is just a matter of circling the right spot on the score sheet.

Gringop

Stock Service Pistol Division (SSP)
    PERMITTED Modifications (Inclusive list):
    1. Sights may be changed to another conventional notch and
    post type (see “sights” in glossary for further information).
    2. Grips may be changed to another style or material that is
    similar to factory configuration (no weighted grips; see
    “weighted grips” in glossary for further details).
    3. A slip-on grip sock and/or skateboard tape may be used.
    4. Internal action work may be used to enhance trigger pull as
    long as safety is maintained (no visible external modifications
    allowed).

5. Reliability work may be done to enhance feeding and
    ejection.
    6. Internal accuracy may be worked to include replacement of
    barrel with one of factory configuration and original caliber.
    7. Plastic plugs may be used to fill the opening behind the
    magazine well.
    8. Custom finishes may be applied.
    NOTE: The slide releases and magazine releases that are standard
    on the Glock 34 and 35 models are available as a factory option on
    all Glocks available in the USA. Because of this, that type of slide
    release and magazine release are legal on all Glocks for SSP.
    EXCLUDED Modifications (NON-Inclusive list):
    1. Externally visible modifications other than grips or sights.

2. Robar style grip reduction.
    3. Add-on magazine well opening.
    4. Guide rods made of a material different from the factory part
    it replaces.

5. Seattle Slug Grip Plug and similar weighted products.
    6. A barrel of another caliber that is not offered in the original
    factory model.
    7. Slide lightening (see “slide, lightening” in glossary for
    further information).
    8. Checkering and stippling.
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

I don't think that it is necessary (or accurate) to throw the 'cheater' accusation around. I don't care how black-and-white you think the rules are - there's ALWAYS room for some interpretation...

For instance, the IDPA SSP rules are silent on beveling the magwell. External add-on magwells are prohibited, and beveling the magwell is not listed as an allowable modification. However, internal modifications to improve reliability are specifically permitted. Does the beveling displayed count as internal or external? Particularly since it was done to remove burrs that can hang up the magazine and not for any competitive advantage? I think that it could be argued either way.

It really does come down to the professional opinion of the SO or the match director.

-C
    -C

My blog: The Way of the Multigun

We are diminished
    Beveling the mag well was specifically forbidden at some point as I recall. It was either in the Tac Journal, one of the HQ posts, or a ruling at Nationals. I could be wrong but that is what I recall.

User Tag List