Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you doing to your production/ssp guns?

What are you doing to your production/ssp guns?

Just getting started in competition (uspsa/idpa) and I'm wondering what kind of mods and customizations people are doing to production guns.

Ive done a few very minor things to my m&p 9 fs. Added grip tape, filed inside magwell just slightly to remove burrs and enhance the bevel a little. I also plan to get an apex kit and an ameriglo probably...

What else?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

I think the you've done the most important thing already. On most polymer guns I've tried the frame is seriously slippery when not using grip tape. Not much else is allowed as I'm sure you know. If you like you're current sights than I would just leave it as it is and shoot a lot. Getting good hits is vital shooting Production. Also being limited to 10 rounds in USPSA reloads and stage tactics are really important.

The only other "tuning" I've seen is people switching guns to something that was specifically made for Production to begin with. E.g. CZ SP-01 Shadow with a slighlty bevelled mag well etc.

I think filing that magwell would be considered a permanent frame modification and could bump you out of both.

My SSP guns have decent sights and triggers. Thats about it.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

I'll say here what I've said elsewhere - every modification you make to your competition pistol needs to be done with a specific purpose in mind. Tinkering with your guns 'just for fun' is a waste of time and money that could, and should, be better spent on ammo.

Also, remember that the equipment rules for USPSA Production are basically, "If it iz not mandantory, it iz forbidden!" In particular, moving any metal (or plastic) is verboten, unless it is for a purpose specifically covered in the rulebook. Here's the rulebook, Production equipment rules start at page 77.

But anyway, you asked what I do to my Production/SSP guns. So here's my list:
    1.) Take one recent-production Gen4 Glock 34.
    2.) Install a Lone Wolf 3.5# connector. ($15)
    3.) Install a Wolff extra power trigger spring. ($3)
    4.) Install a Glock Gen4 extended 'FBI' magazine release. ($4)
    5.) Snap in a Glockmeister Grip Plug. ($7)
    6.) Install a set of Warren Tactical sights, plain rear and fiber-optic front. As an aside, I've had the best luck with the 0.245" front sights on the long-slide Glocks. ($77)

That's it. Go shoot!

There are some things I'm going to be experimenting with in the near future - namely, I want to try an internal overtravel stop of some kind, to see if it helps with my long-range accuracy. I'm also thinking about having a Bar-Sto barrel fitted, same reason.

-C

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    I think filing that magwell would be considered a permanent frame modification and could bump you out of both.

My SSP guns have decent sights and triggers. Thats about it.
    Uspsa allows 1/4 inch gap front and back, and i didnt even get close to that. I mainly just smoothed out the rough edges and burrs created by me slamming mags in over and over, and increased the bevel by a hair.

Idpa is pretty strict about it but its almost not noticeable and at my club they dont even look so i think im ok.

Quote Originally Posted by sheperd80 View Post
    Uspsa allows 1/4 inch gap front and back, and i didnt even get close to that. I mainly just smoothed out the rough edges and burrs created by me slamming mags in over and over, and increased the bevel by a hair.

Idpa is pretty strict about it but its almost not noticeable and at my club they dont even look so i think im ok.

Our guys shoot IPSC here as opposes to USPSA so sorry using their rules.

With regards to SSP rules while I think some are stupid I am a stickler for keeping to them if youre going to play the game.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by sheperd80 View Post
    Or alternatively you could just shoot in ESP and not cheat...

Im not trying to cheat. I respect the rules and limitations of both sports. If u saw the amount of work i did on it you wouldnt think its cheating. Again, i basically just removed burrs caused by lots of mags getting rammed into it, and smoothed out the opening. I took off maybe 1/32" of material... probably less.

The edge was all chewed up looking so i just made it smooth again. Ill show it to my RO if it makes u feel better. He'll laugh and go back to what he was doing no doubt.

Last edited by sheperd80; 06-24-2012 at 01:10 PM.

Looking at it again, i didnt even remove anything really. Its back to the original profile minus the burrs and just looks scratchy because of the file i used

Not sure why pic isnt showing up.

You have a pro ? I filed the ledge on the rear between the grip tool and magwell on both my guns.After soo many hundred reloads, its hard to tell anything was done anyway.

Sevigny fibers
    Apex
    Polish feed area
    grip tape and stippling.
    Blue Bullets Team dude

User Tag List