Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: What are you doing to your production/ssp guns?

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by MEH View Post
    Sold the M&P's.
    Bought Glock's. Change factory sights.
    Shoot them.
    Gamer.

My SSP/Production pistols are both Sig P226s. The stock grips get stippled or grip tape (rule dependent), sights get changed out (currently with Dawson FO front/Warren rear). I install SRT parts and typically swap the main spring seats for the newer type as I like the feel (and the convenience) of them a bit better. Springs remain stock, although I will say it seems like "stock" mainsprings have gotten a touch subjectively lighter over the last few years (shrug).

T

My current SSP gun is a Gen 4 Glock 17.

I am running a Warren Tactical rear sight with a Dawson Fiber Optic front.

Jager Polymer Guide Rod w/13 lb. ISMI recoil spring. (I bought this guide rod when Glock was still trying to come up with their final version of their factory RSA. I also tried a 15 lb. spring, but I really like the way the gun behaves with my loads with the current set up. I do have Glock's latest iteration of their RSA and it has been flawless--I use it for my carry ammo)

Lonewolf Barrel--I shoot lead for practice and matches. I tried lead with the factory barrel, but the amount of cleaning required wasn't worth it to me. And paying the cost of the LW barrel didn't take long when comparing jacketed(or plated) vs. lead bullet costs. I do switch to the factory barrel and RSA for carry.

Glockmeister grip plug.

Ghost Ultimate 3.5 connector with heavier trigger spring and a polish job.

Glock extended slide stop lever. I didn't originally want this, but when ordering some other stuff I decided to give it a try. Now, for me, it is much preferred.

Why the dawson front with warren rear? And what heights are they?

Im still on a quest for sights and just cant make my mind up. I like the idea of ameriglo pro because this is also my nightstand gun, but they dont look great for competition.

The warren plain rear with fiber front is appealing and a good price.

A tall dawson fiber front with adjustable rear looks nice too but a little pricey and i dont think i quite need that kind of setup this early in my competitition days.
    Last edited by sheperd80; 07-01-2012 at 12:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Gamer.
    lol. You can only say that if one of them was a 34. Oh wait, nevermind. ha ha.
    "Specialization is for insects." -Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by sheperd80 View Post
    Why the dawson front with warren rear? And what heights are they?

Im still on a quest for sights and just cant make my mind up. I like the idea of ameriglo pro because this is also my nightstand gun, but they dont look great for competition.

The warren plain rear with fiber front is appealing and a good price.

A tall dawson fiber front with adjustable rear looks nice too but a little pricey and i dont think i quite need that kind of setup this early in my competitition days.
    Ok, so here is my sight story: Initially I bought the package deal with the Warren rear/fiber front combo for two reasons: Price and I wanted to try Warren's fiber front as I had been running a Dawson on my XD. The Warren's width was between the two Dawson offerings and narrower than what I was used to. After trying the Warren front for a while, I just didn't like it for a few reasons. The main reason is probably that I spent so much time with the Warren rear/Dawson(.125") combo on my XD. Now I have two identical sight pictures on my two main guns. The Warren has a smaller diameter hole for the fiber optic "bulb" that you look at; so the dot is essentially smaller. The Dawson is also a longer sight resulting in a longer fiber optic tube which makes it brighter. To me the bigger, brighter dot is quicker to pick up. The Warren fiber is also situated higher in the sight post than the Dawson which just really messed with my point of impact--again I was just too used to my XD's setup. I also discovered that I apparently like a little bit wider front post too--definitely better accuracy wise for me.
    Last edited by WyoXd; 07-01-2012 at 01:39 PM. Reason: forgot to add that the sights were 0.215" tall

Yeah im still not sure what front width i want. Slightly smaller than the factory m&p seems ideal but as u mentioned the warren is quite a bit smaller. So i dunno im still on the fence.

I dont want my poi to change too much either. I could adapt to a slight adjustment because this gun is still fairly new to me. But i really like the way it is now...

Up to about 10 yds poa=poi (right behind the dot) then beyond that the poi rises slightly out to about 20 yds or so, meaning i use a 6 oclock hold at longer range, which is great because i can see more of the target. I havent shot a whole lot beyond 25-30yds but poi comes back down slowly. This is perfect for me and i really dont want to change that too much. I like that the poa is "close enough" all the way out to almost 30yds.

I guess ill just have to go with trial and error and see what works.

Quote Originally Posted by taadski View Post
    Springs remain stock, although I will say it seems like "stock" mainsprings have gotten a touch subjectively lighter over the last few years.
    It has been my experience that the stock Sig parts have huge potential if polished and cleaned up. I've had on P220 worked by Teddy Jacobson and its amazing how much the trigger improves with good cleanup.

My current duty gun is a P220. Nobody believes that it is stock because it is so smooth and light. I've done nothing to it but dry fire it a lot. When I say, a lot, I mean breaking firing pin position pins lot. That combined with a regular detail strip and lubing the internals with TWB-25 makes for a good trigger.

I have to agree with you completely, John. The "mileage" trigger job does wonders on the P series pistols. Re my spring comment, I've had the chance to mess around with replacing a bunch of older mainsprings in some of our agency pistols with newer "standard weight" ones direct from Sig and noted what seemed like a significant difference in DA weight. It could be I'm losing my marbles, but I did a number of before and after comparisons and the newer mainsprings sure subjectively seemed lighter, pretty much across the board. Talking to their LE CS folks, it doesn't sound like it's a change they're owning though, FWIW. Different spring vendor maybe? Not sure.

Re the Dawson/Warren question, I went with em because they were fairly inexpensive and available. In addition, the Dawsons have a bunch of height/width combos available and at the time I wasn't sure what I wanted in that regard as I was messing around with some POI issues with the stock sights.

T

Unknowingly DQed my gun from production by having the trigger guard undercut and applying an aggressive stip job to some parts of the pistol. I love the work, feels great in my hand but illegal for production. I hadn't shot or had any interest in IDPA or USPSA when I had it done.

User Tag List