Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Who are you training to fight?

I don't think the point of TODD is that he's unbeatable.

I think the real point is that TODD is that he is a multi-disciplinary. TODD knows how to fight hand to hand, knows how to shoot pistols/rifles/shotguns, he knows wilderness survival, he knows first aid, he knows how to stay in shape and eat right, he knows how to wear a designer suit, he knows out to mix a cocktail, he knows the scent of a woman...

To me, TODD is motivation keep learning about different things. I may never attain the unconscious competence TODD has about everything, but I can very well try to have conscious competence about as many topics as I can.
    Last edited by Dropkick; 06-26-2012 at 11:35 AM. Reason: changes to last paragraph

Quote Originally Posted by GOP View Post
    This thread makes me laugh.

I believe a couple of us (or 99% in this thread) have completely missed the point.
    What do you think the point is?

Just curious, particularly as you are skilled in both MMA and shooting.

This is who I'm training to fight:
    Name:  ms13_011008b.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  67.6 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    I'm comfortable sitting on the couch in my boxers fiddling with my balls, but I don't fight like that.

Quote Originally Posted by OrigamiAK View Post
    What do you think the point is?

Just curious, particularly as you are skilled in both MMA and shooting.
    I just think it was written as a motivational tool, not to be taken literally at all. It definitely pumped me up on my run last night (at 2AM...my schedule sucks lol)!

Just to add to what Baihu said, anyone can beat anyone.
    http://thedownzerojourney.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by GOP View Post
    I just think it was written as a motivational tool, not to be taken literally at all. It definitely pumped me up on my run last night (at 2AM...my schedule sucks lol)!

Just to add to what Baihu said, anyone can beat anyone.
    Thank you for the further explanation. I really wasn't sure, since so many different people see this different ways. Sounds like you and I see it pretty similarly.

When faced against a sociopath who has spent every minute training for the past 10 years for an episode of death and destruction, I'd rather be lucky than good.

That doesn't mean that I'm going to stop pistol training, my attempts to regain my former physical stature and my search for "one carbine to rule them all".

Take the pistol part out and I have seen a few Todds and had to deal with them.
    But at the time I was a Todd myself and could hold my own and did.
    Now retired I still train but I have cut way down on every being in a situation where
    my My inner Todd will every come out again..
    Life is to short to worry about the Todds of the world learn how to read them and you find out
    that anyone can go down fast and hard ...
    Everyone has there Kryptonite..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Exrpoc6GP60
    Last edited by Robert Mitchum; 06-27-2012 at 01:24 AM.

I think many here see Todd as a insurmountable obstacle, and further rationalize their own inner laziness and overall weaknesses. Do I lack skill Todd has? Yes, do I have greater skill in areas Todd may not? Probably so. Should the day come (it probably will, I hope it won't) that I meet Todd AGAIN, how have I prepared with the time I have to enable me to best this guy? I've been in bad situations and been shot at by guys that had the training, had the mindset, had me right where they wanted me... I'm still here Thank God! Do I take that as I should just lay up, eat chips and ice cream and say I'm "enjoying life"? Hell no! I wake up early and train until exhaustion many days physically or mentally to be better the next time I meet Todd. I still place a priority on having fun and enjoying my life, wife, son.

Good example last Saturday I awoke, rucked 10 miles, got home got cleaned up, took my family out, had a great day, then got a sitter and took my wife out for drinks and dancing. Yes I was tired... But I didn't make excuses to NOT train, I made myself better in more then one sense that day!

I hate seeing people who are over weight, out of shape and lack technical or tactical proficiency use excuses to make themselves feel better for not Training things they dislike doing. I find things I hate every week and do them to make myself both mentally and physically stronger.

The point to Todd is get rid of those excuses and TRAIN! Todd's really not that far fetched this day in age... Don't believe me, just look in the prison system.

Quote Originally Posted by matman View Post
    I think many here see Todd as a insurmountable obstacle, and further rationalize their own inner laziness and overall weaknesses.
    Or they've already gone down the path of chasing the impossible dream, realized what they are sacrificing to chase that 0.001% chance encounter, understand that avoidance has way more to do with surviving such an encounter than anything else, and got sensible about their training and their needs and goals.

You have to have priorities. If you're not going to the range or exercising in order to sit on the sofa with a gallon of rocky road, then yeah you're jacked up. But if the reason you're not doing those things is because you are spending good quality time with your kids, I'd say you understand very well the concept of priorities.

Men seem to chase proficiency in inconsequential crap like women chase looking like a Barbie doll. We hold up Tiger, and Mike, and Leatham, and Operator-whoever as these goals for ourselves that are just ridiculous. Hell, even in business, I've met very, very few wildly successful men with well-adjusted kids. Priorities? Yay! You got a Ferrari and your kid got another stint in rehab!

Goals need to be realistic and attainable, but just out of our immediate reach. And they need to be weighed against other priorities in life.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Mitchum View Post
    Take the pistol part out and I have seen a few Todds and had to deal with them.
    But at the time I was a Todd myself and could hold my own and did.
    Now retired I still train but I have cut way down on every being in a situation where
    my My inner Todd will every come out again..
    Life is to short to worry about the Todds of the world learn how to read them and you find out
    that anyone can go down fast and hard ...
    Everyone has there Kryptonite..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Exrpoc6GP60
    Bob Mitchum and I have discussed this at some length as his experience is VAST. IMO he raises a couple points that are key for my world. I'm in good shape. Have some functional HH ability that I'd really really never want to be Plan A (but have decent foot speed still . I have way above average gun skills. And I think I have pretty well tuned awareness aptitudes that have worked pretty well plus excercised judgement to diffuse events or otherwise avoid them. But sometimes there's no diffusing anything and there's the rub.

The thing the evil Todd has that gives him his big advantage is the willingness to GO! Right now. That is the big disadvantage I have living a decent balanced civilian life; the risk of getting off the line too slowly vs Todd. So what's left is all on the software side. To be able to see it and get that OODA loop cycling fast. If I can "see" it; just for a second or two, Todd doesn't have a chance but for dumb luck. If I miss it; visa versa.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List