Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: CVN-81 USS Doris Miller

  1. #1
    HAS ELECTROLYTES LittleLebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    VA

    CVN-81 USS Doris Miller

    I'm OK with this, better than the USS Gabby Giffords or the USS Harvey Milk. What a badass.


    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Doris_Miller

    Doris "Dorie" Miller (October 12, 1919 – November 24, 1943) was an American Sailor in the United States Navy.[1] He manned anti-aircraft guns during the attack on Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941, for which he had no training, and tended to the wounded. He was recognized by the Navy for his actions and awarded the Navy Cross.

    He was the first black American to be awarded the Navy Cross, the second highest decoration for valor awarded by the Navy, after the Medal of Honor.[2][3] Miller's acts were heavily publicized in the black press, making him an iconic emblem of the war for black Americans.[4] Nearly two years after Pearl Harbor, he was killed in action when his ship Liscome Bay was sunk by a Japanese submarine during the Battle of Makin.
    #RESIST

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    TX
    Definitely a hero worthy of being remembered.
    I always associate him with a history teacher I had in HS. She was big on black history and talked about Dorie Miller quite a bit, as he was from our general area.

  3. #3
    UZI does it
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    ABQ, NM
    America has too many forgotten warfighting heroes to name our warships after anyone less. Dorie Miller is a perfect example - spent virtually his entirely too-short adult life in wartime military service and died all of 24 years old with a Navy Cross. I've met people that hadn't even moved out of their parents house at that age.

    Naming warships after politicians? To hell with that.

    I'll give a nod to the UK here, though, as they know how to name a warship for its own sake.

  4. #4
    Site Supporter Zincwarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Central Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    America has too many forgotten warfighting heroes to name our warships after anyone less. Dorie Miller is a perfect example - spent virtually his entirely too-short adult life in wartime military service and died all of 24 years old with a Navy Cross. I've met people that hadn't even moved out of their parents house at that age.

    Naming warships after politicians? To hell with that.

    I'll give a nod to the UK here, though, as they know how to name a warship for its own sake.
    JRB has the way of it. Either name them and bases after bonafide heroes, or let the British Admiralty name them.
    (Imagines an Iowa class named the Queen Anne's Revenge pounding the Yamato into gravy).

  5. #5
    I could sign off on a USS Harriet Tubman.

    She did plenty of the Lord's work

  6. #6
    Gray Hobbyist Wondering Beard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    The Coterie Club
    Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    I could sign off on a USS Harriet Tubman.

    She did plenty of the Lord's work
    I don't remember her doing much naval stuff. So I think the next tank should be the Harriet.
    “An ill-educated person behaves with arrogant impatience, whereas truly profound education breeds humility.” Alexander Solzhenitsyn
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

  7. #7
    UZI does it
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    ABQ, NM
    I wouldn't dream of taking anything away from what Harriet Tubman accomplished. But her name already graces schools, history books, scholarships, buildings, monuments, etc and rightfully so.

    Too many worthy names of warfighters get none of that recognition. In naming warships, even modest ones, we have one of a very few opportunities to celebrate those heroes. Especially in a day and age when the word 'Hero' is so profoundly overused. Which is why I'd like to see warships and such named exclusively after truly memorable uniformed personnel.

    Armor traditionally take on names of successful higher commanders and Generals (e.g. Abrams) or they're named in a more 'for themselves' style (e.g. Paladin) - and I'm totally OK with those methodologies.

  8. #8
    they don't think like us blues's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Blue Ridge Mtns
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    I don't remember her doing much naval stuff. So I think the next tank should be the Harriet.

    Navel Naval Gazing...

    The only difference between our taliban and theirs are the duds.

  9. #9
    Gray Hobbyist Wondering Beard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    The Coterie Club
    Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    I wouldn't dream of taking anything away from what Harriet Tubman accomplished. But her name already graces schools, history books, scholarships, buildings, monuments, etc and rightfully so.

    Too many worthy names of warfighters get none of that recognition. In naming warships, even modest ones, we have one of a very few opportunities to celebrate those heroes. Especially in a day and age when the word 'Hero' is so profoundly overused. Which is why I'd like to see warships and such named exclusively after truly memorable uniformed personnel.

    Armor traditionally take on names of successful higher commanders and Generals (e.g. Abrams) or they're named in a more 'for themselves' style (e.g. Paladin) - and I'm totally OK with those methodologies.
    I know :-)

    But imagine the conversation:
    Defeated enemy 1:"what the hell just happened?"
    Defeated enemy 2:"a Harriet just blew in".
    “An ill-educated person behaves with arrogant impatience, whereas truly profound education breeds humility.” Alexander Solzhenitsyn
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

  10. #10
    they don't think like us blues's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Blue Ridge Mtns
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    I know :-)

    But imagine the conversation:
    Defeated enemy 1:"what the hell just happened?"
    Defeated enemy 2:"a Harriet just blew in".
    "That was one hell of a tub, man!"
    The only difference between our taliban and theirs are the duds.

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •