Page 72 of 73 FirstFirst ... 226270717273 LastLast

Thread: Phlster Enigma. A game changer in belt free carry?

Quote Originally Posted by EVP View Post
    I have been running a standard enigma and a WML enigma since the start and I still have mixed feelings about it.

My general thoughts are that it needs some tweaks and aftermarket support to really dial it in.

I think the Levo designs papoose should almost be standard, the stock leg leash sucks and I got rid of them early on. I did not try Levo leg leash designs and that seems to help people. I standardized on JMCK excellent dedicated enigma shells.

Just wanted to add some additional thoughts:

The buckle is a little bigger and material is not as comfortable as it could be.
    I not a fan of the sports belt, maybe it works better for bigger people but I found it was just more cumbersome.

My biggest criticism is that the standard enigma screws will back out and get loose effecting the cant of the holster/pistol when practicing or just day to day active wear. Without a dedicated shell the retention would be effected with a dedicated shell the movement of the holster is very annoying. Even when using blue loctite, the screws will still loosen in short order when actually training and using the holster more. Same with the belt to faceplate screws. This is kinda normal with other holsters after awhile but with the enigma it happens quickly and everything has to be retorqued relatively in short order. I feel the two screw attachment to the faceplate to holster/wing area as stable as it could be.

I feel the WML enigma with the way the faceplate attaches to the holster is a better design and I have not experienced the holster shifting after training or extended drawing and movement. I still have to retightened the belt to faceplate screws regularly. The WML faceplate was large and I cut off the leg leash part because it protruded to far and would poke in to my thigh.

I appreciate the enigma and the ingenuity of it but it has its own set of issues that need to be addressed.

I will say that Phlsters website and enigma resources are excellent for women and others who are new to concealed carry.

I use my two enigmas daily, alternating between a full-size Beretta 92 and a J frame depending on the level of concealment I need. I’m not a very big person and I live in a pretty unfriendly to carry place so the j frame gets carried a lot.

I love the enigma for the bigger and heavier 92. The only issue I have really had is the faceplate/wing running into my leg when carrying in the position that I get the most concealment… but this is already somewhat of an issue with holsters that have wings on them. If the hypothetical enigma 2.0 could have less equipment between the trigger guard and the leg that would be of interest to me.

For the j frame AIWB I have had a lot more mixed feelings. I find that overall width of the enigma, holster, and wing really creates a hard ledge under the grip that prints more than the gun itself. I have remedied this somewhat by removing the claw from the wing and then using a small mastermind pillow at the top of the j frame pushing the sights out from my body slightly to achieve better grip tuck with less printing at the belt line. I would be interested to see if there are ways to slim up the enigma package.

Using the enigma for deep carry with the j frame has also been somewhat hit or miss. I have had issues with some of the hard edges print through pants (the small size buckle has some sharp edges) when a smart carry does not print but offers considerably slower access. I also have tried multiple positions, waist sizes, waist rise, and fabric of pants along with the papoose and have yet to find comfort deep carry that will still not poke me hard randomly through the day. I think that a deep carry specific product could be created to address a lot of these issues. I really should go take the imperceivable handgun class as the benefits of deep carry if I can figure it out for my life style would be huge.

Quote Originally Posted by Squamis View Post
    I use my two enigmas daily, alternating between a full-size Beretta 92 and a J frame depending on the level of concealment I need. I’m not a very big person and I live in a pretty unfriendly to carry place so the j frame gets carried a lot.

I love the enigma for the bigger and heavier 92. The only issue I have really had is the faceplate/wing running into my leg when carrying in the position that I get the most concealment… but this is already somewhat of an issue with holsters that have wings on them. If the hypothetical enigma 2.0 could have less equipment between the trigger guard and the leg that would be of interest to me.

For the j frame AIWB I have had a lot more mixed feelings. I find that overall width of the enigma, holster, and wing really creates a hard ledge under the grip that prints more than the gun itself. I have remedied this somewhat by removing the claw from the wing and then using a small mastermind pillow at the top of the j frame pushing the sights out from my body slightly to achieve better grip tuck with less printing at the belt line. I would be interested to see if there are ways to slim up the enigma package.

Using the enigma for deep carry with the j frame has also been somewhat hit or miss. I have had issues with some of the hard edges print through pants (the small size buckle has some sharp edges) when a smart carry does not print but offers considerably slower access. I also have tried multiple positions, waist sizes, waist rise, and fabric of pants along with the papoose and have yet to find comfort deep carry that will still not poke me hard randomly through the day. I think that a deep carry specific product could be created to address a lot of these issues. I really should go take the imperceivable handgun class as the benefits of deep carry if I can figure it out for my life style would be huge.
    I do wish @RustyCrusty would come back to grace us with more of his wisdom on this too.
    @rhamre grips and underarmour boxer briefs may be your best J frame cheat code.

My LCR-Express doesn’t get a lot of time any more but I’m still very happy with it and have no regrets. The upcoming flip flop and lightweight short season will probably see more use of it.

I, too, ditched the leg leash.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    My LCR-Express doesn’t get a lot of time any more but I’m still very happy with it and have no regrets. The upcoming flip flop and lightweight short season will probably see more use of it.

I, too, ditched the leg leash.
    Yeah I had the leg leash hanging down my leg out of my shorts lol, not good. Other than that love my enigmas.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Williams View Post
    Yeah I had the leg leash hanging down my leg out of my shorts lol, not good. Other than that love my enigmas.
    You can't look at someone with a straight face and say "it's a leash for the monster."
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    You can't look at someone with a straight face and say "it's a leash for the monster."
    Dang! I wish I would have thought of saying that awhile back when some buddies and I were at TopGolf and that leash kept falling down out of my shorts. The wives were with so maybe it would not have been wise, haha

I took the leg leash off that night.
    Last edited by EVP; 03-20-2024 at 08:05 PM.

I bought an Express in an attempt to take some pressure off of my low back. I haven’t been happy with it so far. I have had it about 6 months I think? I’ve tried it with Phlster holsters for an LCR, Glock 48, and Glock 19. I can’t figure out how to keep the holster from moving around vertically as the day goes on. It works itself down so the but of the gun ends up mostly below my belt line. I also don’t find the standard belt comfortable and I don’t think I want to invest more money in it to purchase the sport belt. I feel like the sport belt should be standard issue.

I’m thinking about trying Hunter Constanine’s belt. This is kind of a goofy video but it demonstrates the belt well.

Warning, the music in the beginning is loud.

“If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post
    I bought an Express in an attempt to take some pressure off of my low back. I haven’t been happy with it so far. I have had it about 6 months I think? I’ve tried it with Phlster holsters for an LCR, Glock 48, and Glock 19. I can’t figure out how to keep the holster from moving around vertically as the day goes on. It works itself down so the but of the gun ends up mostly below my belt line. I also don’t find the standard belt comfortable and I don’t think I want to invest more money in it to purchase the sport belt. I feel like the sport belt should be standard issue.

That’s another reason why I like using a DCC clip, it prevents that from happening.
    Last edited by EVP; 03-21-2024 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Spelling

Site Supporter
    Yeah, the sport belt should be standard. My brother uses a DCC clip along the slide side of the holster to keep the vertical position of the pants/belt vs Enigma fixed.

Using deep carry, I haven't found that necessary, yet

User Tag List