Page 54 of 73 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast

Thread: Phlster Enigma. A game changer in belt free carry?

Thanks for the link

I think the Enigma is a good alternative option but I don’t buy the hype that it replaces standard belt carry. My enthusiasm has diminished as I experience day to day life with it.

The leg leash has caused frustration to the point I was about to rip it off. I went to Top Golf with some friends and it repeatedly came off and was dangling down the bottom of my shorts. I had to go to the bathroom a bunch of times and put on the garter. I could not help but be annoyed that I had to deal with it. I will gladly pay for good stuff but I cannot help think for $90 bucks some better improvement can be made.

I think the stock leg leash needs a redesign. I will prob order the Levo stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by EVP View Post
    Thanks for the link

I think the Enigma is a good alternative option but I don’t buy the hype that it replaces standard belt carry. My enthusiasm has diminished as I experience day to day life with it.

The leg leash has caused frustration to the point I was about to rip it off. I went to Top Golf with some friends and it repeatedly came off and was dangling down the bottom of my shorts. I had to go to the bathroom a bunch of times and put on the garter. I could not help but be annoyed that I had to deal with it. I will gladly pay for good stuff but I cannot help think for $90 bucks some better improvement can be made.

I think the stock leg leash needs a redesign. I will prob order the Levo stuff.
    You should check these articles out about the leg leash. I have not put mine together yet but just happened to find these yesterday.

https://www.phlsterholsters.com/leg-...off-heres-why/

https://www.phlsterholsters.com/enig...nd-the-basics/

https://www.phlsterholsters.com/what...gma-leg-leash/

Quote Originally Posted by Thy.Will.Be.Done View Post
    You should check these articles out about the leg leash. I have not put mine together yet but just happened to find these yesterday.

https://www.phlsterholsters.com/leg-...off-heres-why/

https://www.phlsterholsters.com/enig...nd-the-basics/

https://www.phlsterholsters.com/what...gma-leg-leash/
    Thanks for the links! I have looked at them and all the setup instructions and related info, but still experience the issues.

On a side note, I get their concept and why they have it, I just think it could be executed better. On their commercial don’t show me people doing parkour and then I can’t take the thing hitting golf balls with a properly setup enigma(according to all their instructions).

Don’t get me wrong, I think it is a good option and concept but don’t really buy into the hype of it is the best thing ever that some espouse it to be.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by EVP View Post
    Thanks for the links! I have looked at them and all the setup instructions and related info, but still experience the issues.

On a side note, I get their concept and why they have it, I just think it could be executed better. On their commercial don’t show me people doing parkour and then I can’t take the thing hitting golf balls with a properly setup enigma(according to all their instructions).

Don’t get me wrong, I think it is a good option and concept but don’t really buy into the hype of it is the best thing ever that some espouse it to be.
    I wonder if you might have gotten a defective clip on your leg leash. I’ve worn mine daily for four months, often while doing manual labor and never had the clip un-clip. I’ve had the adjustment slide loosen a bit, but it’s never un-clipped.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    I wonder if you might have gotten a defective clip on your leg leash. I’ve worn mine daily for four months, often while doing manual labor and never had the clip un-clip. I’ve had the adjustment slide loosen a bit, but it’s never un-clipped.
    I never even messed with the OEM clip as I instantly saw that if I needed to drop trou in a hurry there might be an incident, lol... My fingers could not easily unclip that little bastard.
    That being said, based on what I see in the FB group, some folks struggle with the clip undoing itself and others don't. Could just be defective clips or differences in individuals, such as how much their upper thigh changes shape as they move around... It is after all designed to eventually break away for safety.

EVP, dontshakepandas, and 0ddlot;

Sounds like something's up, whether it's not setup as optimally as it could be or whether each of you has a buckle with a manufacturing issue (we did have a batch or two received that had excessive flashing).

If each of you could, I'd be grateful to see a picture of the Enigmas and leg-leashes as configured and worn, sans pants but PG-13. If you'd prefer discretion, PM would be fine. The goal in leash configuration is for zero impedence working the range from an elevated prone (e.g. cobra pose for the yogis), to a toe-touch\deadlift, and a deep squat; while minimizing or removing pre-release travel of the rig during a draw-stroke. I'd love to think that we could either get this rectified for the both of you, or replacement parts out instead.
    Jules
    Runcible Works

Quote Originally Posted by runcible View Post
    EVP, dontshakepandas, and 0ddlot;

Sounds like something's up, whether it's not setup as optimally as it could be or whether each of you has a buckle with a manufacturing issue (we did have a batch or two received that had excessive flashing).

If each of you could, I'd be grateful to see a picture of the Enigmas and leg-leashes as configured and worn, sans pants but PG-13. If you'd prefer discretion, PM would be fine. The goal in leash configuration is for zero impedence working the range from an elevated prone (e.g. cobra pose for the yogis), to a toe-touch\deadlift, and a deep squat; while minimizing or removing pre-release travel of the rig during a draw-stroke. I'd love to think that we could either get this rectified for the both of you, or replacement parts out instead.
    I never had any issues with the buckle staying closed, and only ran into the leg leash adjusting itself after several weeks of daily wear. The adjustment change would occur right at the little triglide part that redirects the material from the vertical attachment to wrap around your leg.

In my case, I think this was mostly due to the leg leash not really having the ability to set different amounts of slack for the vertical section and the part that actually goes around your leg. I prefer to wear my leg leash pretty high on my leg and fairly tight so that it doesn’t move on my leg. Because of that, I need a little extra slack on the vertical side to keep from getting a tug when I walk. It isn’t much, and not enough to notice while drawing, but after a few hours that extra slack would redistribute itself to form an equilibrium and I’d get some sagging on my leg.

Sorry, I can’t provide a picture since I’m no longer using the stock leg leash and don’t feel like swapping it back.

To be clear, I’m very happy with my Enigmas and have switched to using them exclusively no matter what I’m wearing. After using AIWB holsters for most of the last decade I don’t really ever expect to buy anything and it be perfect for me without a little tweaking.

That said, for that specific part of the design I think the Levo Designs leg leash is a major improvement in every way. It allows independent adjustments of the two length segments and the material is much more comfortable and has less tendency to twist. The only thing I’d change would be to get it in black.

Quote Originally Posted by dontshakepandas View Post
    I never had any issues with the buckle staying closed, and only ran into the leg leash adjusting itself after several weeks of daily wear. The adjustment change would occur right at the little triglide part that redirects the material from the vertical attachment to wrap around your leg.

In my case, I think this was mostly due to the leg leash not really having the ability to set different amounts of slack for the vertical section and the part that actually goes around your leg. I prefer to wear my leg leash pretty high on my leg and fairly tight so that it doesn’t move on my leg. Because of that, I need a little extra slack on the vertical side to keep from getting a tug when I walk. It isn’t much, and not enough to notice while drawing, but after a few hours that extra slack would redistribute itself to form an equilibrium and I’d get some sagging on my leg.
    I had the same problem, that is, the leg leash circumference around the thigh would loosen, both because the tiny slider buckle would shift with even mild tension, and also as you said, the "slack would redistribute itself" with even mild tension on the segment of the leash which runs from the faceplate into the upper hole of the triangular "force-direction-changing" tab.

The result would be that the loop around the thigh would always loosen, allowing the rear portion of the loop to droop down, such that the whole rig got tugged in a downward direction on the "strong side" with every step.

Two things needed to be done;

First, after getting all "segment lengths" perfect, that is, both the length of the leash segment from faceplate to upper hole in the triangular tab, and the overall length of the segment surrounding the thigh, I then ran a few stitches of very strong thread through the doubled layer of the strap just adjacent to the small slider buckle, so that the buckle could no longer move at all, and second, I got the little leg leash "Secondary Garter" ($4.95 from Levo Designs), which reliably keeps the rear portion of the leg leash segment surrounding the thigh from ever slipping down, and is quite comfortable.

Problem solved.

(I also bought and tried the same maker's "Mule Tape Leg Leash", but didn't find it as stable or as comfortable as the stock leg leash after adjusting the latter as described above.)

FWIW, I've never had the leg leash buckle come undone.

Thus slightly modified, the Enigma setup is the ideal answer to beltless on-body CCW for me, when wearing shorts or athletic pants.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

I might've missed it but I didn't see the fixed retention kits being mentioned as being live in this thread yet. Available at DSG and Phlster, pending on where you're spending money.

https://darkstargear.com/product/fixed-retention-kit/

https://www.phlsterholsters.com/shop...retention-kit/
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

Site Supporter
    I love the Enigma for certain situations with a P365.. Hasn't/won't replace my belt and holster. I got a LBE I wanted to get setup for my main G19/RMR/TLR-7A. I found in order to get the level of concealment I wanted I had to tighten the belt enough that it would get uncomfortable on my hips. Enter hook/loop tape and an HSGI padded belt liner. Much better now.
    Name:  20210622_211256.jpg
Views: 786
Size:  71.2 KB
    Name:  20210622_211241.jpg
Views: 789
Size:  57.7 KB
    Name:  20210622_211226.jpg
Views: 782
Size:  56.0 KB

User Tag List