Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: Some 200 and 255gr swc .45 acp load data

  1. #1
    Site Supporter 03RN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    New Hampshire

    Some 200 and 255gr swc .45 acp load data

    I had sent 2 arfcom members some 255gr swc .45 acp loads over 6gr unique to chronograph both averaged 850fps in their guns. One was in a beretta px4 the other in a hk compact.

    I used my 4" lw champion and 5" loaded

    4"
    200 gr swc over 6.5gr unique
    942 fps
    394 ft lbs

    200gr swc over 7gr unique
    1011 fps
    454 ft lbs

    255gr swc over 6gr unique
    912 fps
    471 ft lbs

    5"
    200gr swc over 6.5gr unique
    998 fps
    442 ftlbs

    200gr swc over 7gr unique
    477 ft lbs

    255gr swc over 6gr unique
    942 fps
    502 ft lbs


  2. #2
    Hobbyist JAD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Kansas City
    200 at 900 out of a Commander (unique, clays, 231) is what Iíve always loaded to. Reliably IPSC old school major, similar in feel to my defensive stuff (230 gold dots), well behaved in every gun.

    However, I used to load Hornady 200 jacketed C/Ts at 1000 over HS6, and those were by far the most accurate pistol load Iíve created. A buddy used a Kart barrel in a Para to print 5 literally on top of each other, like a 1/4Ē group.

    I carried it as a defensive load for many years. Wasnít that smart, but was awful cool.

    Canít get it no more.

    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1165445527

  3. #3
    Member Johnny Walker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Indian Country
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I had sent 2 arfcom members some 255gr swc .45 acp loads over 6gr unique to chronograph both averaged 850fps in their guns. One was in a beretta px4 the other in a hk compact.

    I used my 4" lw champion and 5" loaded

    4"
    200 gr swc over 6.5gr unique
    942 fps
    394 ft lbs

    200gr swc over 7gr unique
    1011 fps
    454 ft lbs

    255gr swc over 6gr unique
    912 fps
    471 ft lbs

    5"
    200gr swc over 6.5gr unique
    998 fps
    442 ftlbs

    200gr swc over 7gr unique
    477 ft lbs

    255gr swc over 6gr unique
    942 fps
    502 ft lbs

    03RN, which 255gr SWC bullet did you end up using? I think you were advising in another thread rimrock bullet?!?
    Johnny Walker

  4. #4
    Site Supporter 03RN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Walker View Post
    03RN, which 255gr SWC bullet did you end up using? I think you were advising in another thread rimrock bullet?!?
    Yes, their .452. They make a .451 one as well

  5. #5
    Hillbilly Elitist Malamute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Northern Rockies
    I read about using 255 gr SWC bullets in 45 auto in the 80s, I loaded 100 rds and tried them in a box stock Colt Combat Commander, they ran fine for that 100 rds. I off and on think about loading some up for field type loads, but I still cant warm up to autos as field guns much, revolvers work and feed perfectly regardless of bullet type and load, so I just havent done it again. Seems like a fair field load though if one were inclined to autos for field guns.
    Pro Biscuit

  6. #6
    Site Supporter 03RN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    I read about using 255 gr SWC bullets in 45 auto in the 80s, I loaded 100 rds and tried them in a box stock Colt Combat Commander, they ran fine for that 100 rds. I off and on think about loading some up for field type loads, but I still cant warm up to autos as field guns much, revolvers work and feed perfectly regardless of bullet type and load, so I just havent done it again. Seems like a fair field load though if one were inclined to autos for field guns.
    Yeah, its not far off the .45 colt load ive been so impressed with on deer. It would go through both shoulders on a 220lbs buck and hammers them harder than any service caliber Ive used.

  7. #7
    Site Supporter
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Allen, TX
    I've used the 255 Keith with 6.5 Unique in Starline Auto Rim brass for my S&W 625 .45 ACP Mountain Gun. Shoots very accurately and as noted, it shoots all the way through deer with great results.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

  8. #8
    Site Supporter 03RN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    I've used the 255 Keith with 6.5 Unique in Starline Auto Rim brass for my S&W 625 .45 ACP Mountain Gun. Shoots very accurately and as noted, it shoots all the way through deer with great results.
    Bet thats smoking. Nice

    A local shop has a m25 mountain gun but $1300 is a bit steep. One of my grail guns for sure

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Mountain West
    03RN, thank you for sharing your results. As a follow up, what was the velocity of the 7 grain load in the 5Ē barrel?

  10. #10
    Site Supporter 03RN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Quote Originally Posted by EDW View Post
    03RN, thank you for sharing your results. As a follow up, what was the velocity of the 7 grain load in the 5Ē barrel?
    Woops
    200gr swc 7gr unique
    1037 fps
    477 ft lbs

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •