Thread: Hi-Tek Coated Bullets for a 9mm Semi

Hi-Tek Coated Bullets for a 9mm Semi

Does anyone know if Titegroup and Accurate #2 (powders I already have) would be OK to use with Hi-Tek coated bullets for 9mm target practice under a mild load? Something at Hoosier Bullets suggested that fast-burning powders are not great to use with Hi-Tek bullets. Please advise...

Quote Originally Posted by TRSmith View Post
    Does anyone know if Titegroup and Accurate #2 (powders I already have) would be OK to use with Hi-Tek coated bullets for 9mm target practice under a mild load? Something at Hoosier Bullets suggested that fast-burning powders are not great to use with Hi-Tek bullets. Please advise...
    I have pretty much used titegroup exclusively with a variety of coated bullets. It does smoke a little but loads are light and accurate.
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

Fast-burning powders are VERY commonly used with coated bullets for USPSA Production and Carry Optics divisions. I shoot Blue Bullets 125 grain coated bullets over VV N320 (probably transitioning to Alliant Sport Pistol soon, as I'm almost out of N320 and Sport Pistol is ~1/2 the price), and those powders are at pretty much exactly the same place as Titegroup on most burn rate charts. Titegroup frequently gets called out as somewhat problematic because it burns significantly hotter than other powders, but it'll function just fine. As JCS said, it'll just produce a bit more smoke than other powders might, but nowhere near the level it would with bare lead bullets, where it tends to burn that sticky/gooey lube the bare lead ones have.

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    Fast-burning powders are VERY commonly used with coated bullets for USPSA Production and Carry Optics divisions. I shoot Blue Bullets 125 grain coated bullets over VV N320 (probably transitioning to Alliant Sport Pistol soon, as I'm almost out of N320 and Sport Pistol is ~1/2 the price), and those powders are at pretty much exactly the same place as Titegroup on most burn rate charts. Titegroup frequently gets called out as somewhat problematic because it burns significantly hotter than other powders, but it'll function just fine. As JCS said, it'll just produce a bit more smoke than other powders might, but nowhere near the level it would with bare lead bullets, where it tends to burn that sticky/gooey lube the bare lead ones have.

Thanks for the info...my heart is now at ease!

I've shot thousand of coated bullets with accurate #2. It's no better or no worse than many other powder.
    A71593

Site Supporter
    Absolutely!! I have exclusively used Titegroup for the last 20K rounds I’ve reloaded. The last 15K have been with hi-tek coated bullets. I’ve never noticed any smoke outside and barely noticed any indoors.

I went through an 8lb jug of Titegroup using Hi-Tek coated bullets. It worked very well. Mine were mostly in the 120gr to 125gr weight range with a TC profile. I was able to make minor PF with 3.5gr. Obviously the charge will depend on your OAL and what chambers in your pistol. The load was very accurate, not too smoky, and was about 1050 FPS.

I had read (internet wisdom?) that Titegroup will soften PC coating on bullets. Hi-Tek seems to be immune but problems arise with PCed bullets fouling and smoking. I haven't fired enough of my PCed bullets in my 9mms to notice any excess PC fouling, my only use so far for Titegroup, so I filed the "info" away in the "Old wives tales/Internet wisdom" file...

User Tag List