Thread: G45 or G34 as Suppressor Host?

G45 or G34 as Suppressor Host?

Hello all,

I'm looking to use my yearly Blue label purchase or two on either a Gen 5 G45 or G34. Either way it will be a Gen 5 MOS. The use for it would be as bedside HD, and possibly outside. The area has a lot of wide open space (ranch property) with few neighbors.

I know there is a jump in barrel and slide length between the two - skipping over a 17 - but my thought process behind the G34 is that if it's going to be a suppressor host, then it's already going to be relatively long. So might as well get the extra barrel length too. For what it's worth, it will also be wearing a Surefire X300. I'm not sure if there's any issues with the flash light sticking out from under the muzzle like seen on G19's and G45's with X300's, but if there is then I'm assuming it shouldn't be an issue with the G34.

On the flip side - if a suppressor on the end is in fact pushing it on a 34 length barrel, then the G45 looks to be the better choice.

*I currently have a G19 for carry, along with back up G19's. This would simply be a dedicated ranch/HD pistol with the X300 and suppressor mounted full-time.

The suppressor I'm looking at is Rugged Obsidian 9. I don't have any previous experience with suppressors, so I've been researching everything I can. I do know about NFA, and if used in a shooting it would be taken for evidence etc.

I would like to use OEM threaded barrels, which I did find Gen 5 G34 factory threaded barrels in stock.

For those running Glocks suppressed, is there any recommendations on changing recoil springs or anything to know in particular? Or is it pretty much a drop-in plug and play?

Thanks

I have run my can (AAC Ti-Rant 9s) on a 17, 34, and 19X. It functioned fine on all 3 but the 19X is its primary host. The 34 felt a little too long and unwieldy for me.

ETA pics.

The 45 is the obvious choice to me. Keep the overall length down. I have had missed luck with 9mm Glocks and suppressors... generally they run better very clean and with a shorter, lighter can. Somewhat mediocre performance (compared to Sig, CZ, and Beretta hosts) led me to use the threaded barrel on my 19 to turn it into a Roland Special.

Lipsey’s has a G45 with a factory threaded barrel and Ameriglo suppressor sights as an exclusive if you can find one. I picked one up last week on Gunbroker along with a matching G19 threaded barrel model. I’ve read a few instances of messing with recoil spring weights depending on how strong the booster spring is but I’m waiting to see how my ejection pattern is with the suppressor before I make any spring changes. I, too, have a Rugged Obsidian 9 in NFA jail.
    Shoot more, post less...

Site Supporter
    Here's another vote for a G45. I just picked up this CGS Mod9SK today, and between the length and the weight distribution in the design, I think it'll make a perfect bedside blaster. SiCo Octane 9 HD for comparison.

I haven't taken the Mod9 to the range yet, but the Octane on my G19 with SiCo barrel and factory threaded G45, both with stock springs, has been 100% with factory and handloaded subsonics.

Name:  20201119_205322.jpg
Views: 3164
Size:  98.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    I have run my can (AAC Ti-Rant 9s) on a 17, 34, and 19X. It functioned fine on all 3 but the 19X is its primary host. The 34 felt a little too long and unwieldy for me.

ETA pics.

Thanks for the pictures
    Quote Originally Posted by DaBigBR View Post
    The 45 is the obvious choice to me. Keep the overall length down. I have had missed luck with 9mm Glocks and suppressors... generally they run better very clean and with a shorter, lighter can. Somewhat mediocre performance (compared to Sig, CZ, and Beretta hosts) led me to use the threaded barrel on my 19 to turn it into a Roland Special.
    What kind of problems were you having? I have a 92 that I've been considering as a suppressor host as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSparks909 View Post
    Lipsey’s has a G45 with a factory threaded barrel and Ameriglo suppressor sights as an exclusive if you can find one. I picked one up last week on Gunbroker along with a matching G19 threaded barrel model. I’ve read a few instances of messing with recoil spring weights depending on how strong the booster spring is but I’m waiting to see how my ejection pattern is with the suppressor before I make any spring changes. I, too, have a Rugged Obsidian 9 in NFA jail.
    Thanks I'll look into those Lipsey's models, I remember seeing them but not sure if they're still around for reasonable price
    Quote Originally Posted by 757_Magnum View Post
    Here's another vote for a G45. I just picked up this CGS Mod9SK today, and between the length and the weight distribution in the design, I think it'll make a perfect bedside blaster. SiCo Octane 9 HD for comparison.

I haven't taken the Mod9 to the range yet, but the Octane on my G19 with SiCo barrel and factory threaded G45, both with stock springs, has been 100% with factory and handloaded subsonics.

Name:  20201119_205322.jpg
Views: 3164
Size:  98.0 KB

Re: Problems

Issues primarily with the guns fully cycling. They want to chug going into battery. Clearly a function of the weight on the end of the barrel. If the gun is pristinely clean and the ammo is of decent power, it's usually fine, but it seems like when they work, they're barely working.

Sample size is three Gen 4 and Gen 5 19s with threaded barrels from Silencerco, AAC, and a company I can't recall (that one's not my gun) with Obsidian 45 in both configurations, AAC TiRant 45M in both configurations, Omega 9K, CGS Kraken, and CGS Mod 9 SK as the cans. The CGS stuff was by far the most reliable and it was no surprise because they're also the lightest and among the shortest.

Ammo has been a mix of everything from Tula to Hush and 115 to 158 grain. Higher velocity tended to work better, also no surprise since there's more energy there, but obviously the effect isn't as nice.

I have a Surefire Ryder9 and have used it on 43, 26, 19, 17.

It seems to run best on the 17. It made the 19 feed a little clunky.

But is the most fun on the 43 for some reason.

User Tag List