Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your FAVORITE handgun? And why?

What is your FAVORITE handgun? And why?

Doesn’t have to be the one you shoot best.
    Can be aesthetics.
    Or feel.
    Or sentimental value.

For me, Shadow 2.
    Alien might be second.

Handguns only, no long guns.

What’s yours? GO!

My Wiley Clapp Colt LW Commander in 9mm.

Accurate, easy to carry, looks good, reliable as long as I download the mag by 1, and it's a 1911.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    Ugh, this changes on a monthly basis for me, and includes guns I’ve never even owned. I guess it can be hard to separate flavor of the month from long term favorites, but I haven’t been in this that long.

I really like glock 45s from a utilitarian perspective, it’s what I’ve shot most and what I shoot best all things considered.

I love beretta 92s, and think the brigadier slide is aesthetically very pleasing. Berettas also conceal better than any other guns in their size range I’ve worn.

Right now though, I love government framed 1911s. Never owned one, and it’ll probably be a while until I can afford one I’d really like, but the lines on something like a blacked out Wilson CQB, or an ACW Prime Elite are just classic Americana. I’ve also been rewatching Bosch for the umpteenth time, and rereading the Pendergast books so maybe they’re just on my mind recently.

1911s and beretta 92s are the mainstay favorites that all of my other flash in the pan gun interests revolve around though.

For sentimental reasons - My dad's 1911.

In terms of best shooting the full custom 2011 with a hard fit Briley barrel and bushing. It is scary accurate.

These kind of questions are hard, because I generally don't have a FAVORITE anything...color, food, song, car, etc. I like different things for different reasons....CONTEXT is everything.

That being said, nearly all my handguns are utilitarian. And while I enjoy them, the one that currently brings me the most joy is my Browning Hi-Power MKIII. It's just a beautiful, elegant weapon. The blueing is deep, and running the slide feels like it's on greased bearings.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

92A1 (or other 92 variants)
    HK P30/P30L
    Glock 17
    CZ P-07/P-09

In that order

Cannot do one. Can do two. A Glock 19 and a Government 1911. For the ingenuity of their respective designs, historical importance, looks (yes, I think G19 looks cool), and performance capabilities even half to full century after the inception.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Name:  20220926_234157.jpg
Views: 1288
Size:  69.2 KB

LTT Beretta with a SRO and X300U.

It is a laser and I shoot it better than anything else.

Honorable mention goes to my Colt M45A1 as well, started on and grew up on 1911s...
    "So strong is this propensity of mankind, to fall into mutual animosities, that where no substantial occasion presents itself, the most frivolous and fanciful distinctions have been sufficient to kindle their unfriendly passions, and excite their most violent conflicts." - James Madison, Federalist No 10

Despite their flaws: Smith and Wesson 1917 revolvers.

As a practical matter I shoot other things a bit more but, for love, those old substitute-standard boomers throw a switch in my head.
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

Since we’re in the autoloader forum, USP 9 Compact Match-LEM hybrid. For those that know, hell yeah.

To honestly answer the question: a S&W Safety Hammerless 4th Model in .38 S&W, built during Teddy Roosevelt’s second term. How it landed with my Aunt involves both World Wars, the Depression, and lobster pots. One day I’ll make a GD post about it.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

User Tag List