Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Thought Experiment: 'Universal Caliber' Platforms

In theory, a firearm that supports multiple cartridges and/or chamberings sounds good. In practice, it often is a more expensive compromise offering lesser performance. If I lived in a locale where serial-numbered receivers were hard to own, it might change my view. But seeing as I do not, my experience is cartridge and application specificity is a good thing.

That being said, I do have two spare uppers for my VP9, a VP9L upper and a VP40 upper. That works well as the VP9, VP9L, and VP40 lowers are the same. The HK solution is nice for reliability but requires three complete uppers as well as magazines. The uppers with additional magazines do not cost much less than a full pistol cost before the pandemic created a whole new level of demand. I also have a Glock 23 with conversion barrels for 9x19 and .357 SIG. The Glock solution requires just a different barrel, but now the sight regulation is the issue as at least two cartridges have different POA/POI. I also have multiple Contender and Encore actions and barrels. Here is where it gets dicey as each barrel needs its own optics. While there are QD mounts, each barrel has a specific zero. So, in practice, each barrel has its own optics. And if the barrels come from different companies or have different profiles, then additional forearms are needed. Swapping barrels tends to require some zeroing changes even with the Bullberry forearm hanger attachment which reduces pressure on the barrel from the forearm.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post

Hornady has a 90gr XTP .309 bullet for Makarov that is ideal for this. There's a thread in .300BLK forum mostly dedicated to quiet loads with it.
    Are you sure? I had a Makarov for about ten years, and still have most of a box of 95gr XTPs and a set of dies. Factory Makarov pistols in the original chambering are about 9.3mm, or .363. The case heads are the diameter of the 9mm Luger, but the case is straight walled and 18mm long - 9x18 Makarov.

I’ve seen some that were chambered (or had been barrel swapped) in 9x17/.380/9mm Corto, and heard that some Russian commercial ones were in .22LR, but I never heard of a .32 or similar.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    MGM was the main one. I wasn't aware Bullberry had gone away (or I had forgotten).
    Bullberry is back, and Troy is a really good dude.

https://www.bullberrylegacy.com/
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

One significant reason that I did not buy a turn-bolt rifle, in 2020, is because I instead bought into the LMT AR15 quick-change-barrel upper platform. My heart loves lever-actions and controlled-round-feed turn-bolts, but being able to quickly switch barrels, with one small hand tool, is significant.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

I have a couple Glock 23 and 22s plus 9mm mags and a 22 conversion upper plus 9mm and 357 sig conversion barrels. Being able to shoot 3-4 different calibers makes it easier to find ammo and practice in low ammo times like these. Stocking up on ammo when it is lower cost or going out of stock helps too. An AR AK and 12ga with a case or two of ammo for each set up means decent options for awhile to hopefully get through the lull.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Are you sure? I had a Makarov for about ten years, and still have most of a box of 95gr XTPs and a set of dies. Factory Makarov pistols in the original chambering are about 9.3mm, or .363. The case heads are the diameter of the 9mm Luger, but the case is straight walled and 18mm long - 9x18 Makarov.

I’ve seen some that were chambered (or had been barrel swapped) in 9x17/.380/9mm Corto, and heard that some Russian commercial ones were in .22LR, but I never heard of a .32 or similar.
    Goofed that up. I guess it's the Tokarev (although groove diameters vary, and .311-.312 may provide better accuracy in some guns). In any case, this is the bullet I was referring to: https://www.hornady.com/bullets/hand...9-90-gr-xtp#!/

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Bullberry is back, and Troy is a really good dude.

https://www.bullberrylegacy.com/
    Great to read that!
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Goofed that up. I guess it's the Tokarev (although groove diameters vary, and .311-.312 may provide better accuracy in some guns). In any case, this is the bullet I was referring to: https://www.hornady.com/bullets/hand...9-90-gr-xtp#!/
    That makes a lot more sense.

I had not thought of this multi-thing in terms of the current shortage, but rather in terms of I am traveling and some how I run out of ammo and have to buy what I can find to feed my gat. As someone who has mostly traveled for my career that has always been an idea I considered, what could I buy where I am if circumstances required.

To that end, my long distance travel guns, e.g. driving from AL to my favorite haunts in WY are the Sig P229 DAK or the HK USP/c 40. For each gun, I have a vetted 9mm conversion set up, the factory .40 and a factory .357 Sig barrel. I carry not only the spare barrels but the 9mm magazines and recoil springs required to make them reliable. In normal mode I will run the native factory .357 Sig or .40 S&W caliber and associated ammo, but the comfort of being able to switch to any of the others has make me confident I have a 3 caliber handgun. I am currently setting up and vetting a G21 for 10mm and .40 SW as another option.

Certainly one could baseline the G22 or G23 and do exactly the same thing.

I did .357 and 9mm conversion set ups for my HK USP 40 which have proven reliable, but not as accurate as the native caliber.

I have read about folks with G21's set up to run 10mm, .40, 9mm, .357Sig, .45 Super, .460 Roland with elaborate mods, and different extractors, magazine mods, etc. That is probably a bridge too far for me to consider.

And for most of these there is the .22LR conversion with a spare upper and mags to add to the potential for versatility.

I guess the P320 modular tribe adds a whole other dimension too.

Site Supporter
    Phillips and Rodgers Medusa M-47 revolver was one I always wanted. Seem to start around $1k used, when you can find them, up to $6k.

pat

User Tag List