Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 64

Thread: .357 velocity from a 2.75" barrel

  1. #21
    Member Zeke38's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    North Cenral Idaho
    03RN have enjoyed your chrono work on the 2.75 and 4" barrels. I carry a Kimber K6s 3" and I find your work very helpful. I've been shooting a LSWC 158gr over 9.0 2400 and a CCI primer. The load is on the verge of smoking the cases, and primers are rounded nicely with no pressure signs, cases fall freely from a dirty weapon. Accuracy is good. I'm in search of a load that will hit 950fps in the 3" and 1000fps in a 4 inch model 10 or Ruger GP. 10.0 grains of 2400 will be my next move up in 38 cases with a standard primer and fired in a 357.

    Thanks again for your work in this caliber.

  2. #22
    Site Supporter 03RN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    New Hampshire
    https://www.defensivecarry.com/threa...dloads.125541/

    I think you'll be more than safe at 10gr. Even at 11.5 I dont think youd have any issues in a .357.

    It really didnt feel more powerful than 5.2gr unique even though its 100fps faster. I think that slower powders are typically softer shooting.

  3. #23
    Site Supporter 03RN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Going to test 6.1 and 9.1 of be-86 under 125gr tmj in .38s and .357s next

  4. #24
    Site Supporter
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    South Louisiana
    I need to scare up some 158-grain coated SWCs and see how they work with BE-86 in .357 Mag.

  5. #25
    Site Supporter
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    South Louisiana
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    I need to scare up some 158-grain coated SWCs and see how they work with BE-86 in .357 Mag.
    A buddy of mine has be using BE-86 to load .40 S&W and it has been some amazingly clean burning stuff for him. I am curious about experimenting with it some myself.

    You anywhere near Baton Rouge? I can spot you some Bayou Bullets coated 158s if you need them. Been hard to get lately and I am not doing much reloading until I know I can get more primers.

  6. #26
    Site Supporter
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    South Louisiana
    Quote Originally Posted by revolvergeek View Post
    A buddy of mine has be using BE-86 to load .40 S&W and it has been some amazingly clean burning stuff for him. I am curious about experimenting with it some myself.

    You anywhere near Baton Rouge? I can spot you some Bayou Bullets coated 158s if you need them. Been hard to get lately and I am not doing much reloading until I know I can get more primers.
    Thanks for the kind offer! I need to load the bullets I have right now, and I have enough for 9x19 and .38 Special to keep me going for a while. .357 Mag is on the back burner for the time being. I'm over by Lake Charles.

  7. #27
    Member Zeke38's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    North Cenral Idaho
    03RN I just returned from the range where I fired 30 rds of the 158LSWC over 10.0 2400 lit with a CCI500 match, in 38 Special Winchester nickel cases. No down side, that may come later with the chrono. Load shot to point of aim out of my 3" Kimber K6 357. Load felt uniform in recoil and shot to POA at 15 yds. Very accurate under two inches at 10 yds offhand DA, six rounds. Ejection was easy and the cases were clean with no smokiness, but the primers were flattened to a small degree but no puddling or cratering of the primers.

    This looks like it may be my GP load. I need to chrono it and see where it's at. I'm thinking near the 1K velocity level. Very happy with it. I would only shoot it occasionally in a K frame/D frame 38.

    This load will run in a Kimber for a long time. THE USUAL CAVEAT APPLIES: THE LOAD WORKS IN MINE, NOT NECESSARILY IN YOURS. USE CAUTION AND WORK UP YOUR OWN LOAD IN YOUR REVOLVER!

  8. #28
    Site Supporter 03RN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    New Hampshire
    2.75" barrel 40 degrees

    .38

    125gr fmj 6.1gr BE-86
    925fps
    237 ft lbs

    158gr swc 5.7gr BE-86
    897fps
    282 ft lbs

    .357

    125gr fmj 9.1gr BE-86
    1182fps
    388 ft lbs

    Ill try to test these in my M64 soon. Iirc I typically get close to 100 fps faster in my 4" m64 vs my 2.75" m66. If thats the case Id be really happy with both of these as gp loads.

    First time loading be-86. Very little flash.
    Last edited by 03RN; 12-24-2020 at 01:22 PM.

  9. #29
    Site Supporter 03RN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeke38 View Post
    03RN I just returned from the range where I fired 30 rds of the 158LSWC over 10.0 2400 lit with a CCI500 match, in 38 Special Winchester nickel cases. No down side, that may come later with the chrono. Load shot to point of aim out of my 3" Kimber K6 357. Load felt uniform in recoil and shot to POA at 15 yds. Very accurate under two inches at 10 yds offhand DA, six rounds. Ejection was easy and the cases were clean with no smokiness, but the primers were flattened to a small degree but no puddling or cratering of the primers.

    This looks like it may be my GP load. I need to chrono it and see where it's at. I'm thinking near the 1K velocity level. Very happy with it. I would only shoot it occasionally in a K frame/D frame 38.

    This load will run in a Kimber for a long time. THE USUAL CAVEAT APPLIES: THE LOAD WORKS IN MINE, NOT NECESSARILY IN YOURS. USE CAUTION AND WORK UP YOUR OWN LOAD IN YOUR REVOLVER!
    Its probably more like 900fps. I averaged 994fps with 11.5gr in my m66.

    But even still 900 is a pretty good gp load.

  10. #30
    Site Supporter 03RN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    New Hampshire
    2.75" M66-8

    .38 special

    125 +p sjhp remington factory load
    924 fps
    237 ft lbs

    125gr fmj over 6.1gr BE-86
    925 fps
    237 ft lbs

    130gr jsp over 6gr Unique
    847 fps
    207 ft lbs

    158gr swc over 5.7gr BE-86
    897 fps
    282 ft lbs

    158gr tc hardcast over 5.2gr Unique
    830 fps
    242 ft lbs

    158gr swc-wn over 11.5gr 2400
    994 fps
    347 ft lbs

    .357 Mag

    125 Golden Saber
    1201 fps
    400 fps

    125gr Remington SJHP
    1375 fps
    524 ft lbs

    125gr fmj over 9.1gr BE-86
    1182 fps
    388 ft lbs

    125gr fmj over 8gr unique
    1136fps
    358 ft lbs

    125gr fmj over 9gr unique
    1212 fps
    408 ft lbs

    130gr jsp over 8gr Unique
    1138 fps (only one shot)
    374 ft lbs

    140gr xtp over 9 grain unique
    1151 fps
    412 ft lbs

    158gr JSP American Eagle
    1135 fps
    452 ft lbs

    158gr tc hardcast over 7gr Unique
    993 fps
    346 ft lbs

    158gr swc-wn over 13.5gr 2400
    1229 fps
    452 ft lbs

    4" M19-3

    .38 special

    130gr jsp over 6gr unique
    965 fps
    263 ft lbs

    158gr tc hardcast over 5.2gr unique (one reading)
    840 fps
    247 ft lbs

    357 Magnum

    125gr Remington SJHP
    1360 fps
    509 ft lbs

    125gr fmj over 8gr unique
    1183 fps
    388 ft lbs

    125gr fmj over 9gr unique
    1251 fps
    434 ft lbs

    130gr jsp over 8gr unique
    1225 fps
    433 ft lbs

    140gr XTP over 9 grain unique
    1168 fps
    424 ft lbs

    158gr tc hardcast 7gr unique (one reading)
    1013 fps
    360 ft lbs

    158gr swc-wn over 13.5gr 2400
    1236fps
    536 ft lbs

    4" M64-5

    .38 special

    130gr jsp over 6gr unique
    938 fps
    254 ft lbs

    158gr tc hardcast over 5.2gr unique
    924 fps
    299 ft lbs

    158 gr swc-wn over 11.5gr 2400
    1089 fps
    416 ft lbs

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •