Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 64

Thread: .357 velocity from a 2.75" barrel

  1. #11
    Hillbilly Elitist Malamute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Northern Rockies
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Yes, thanks
    One of the moderators can edit that, they have a special omnipotent key on their computers.
    Pro Biscuit

  2. #12
    Member That Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    In a country other than USA.
    Might as well add my measurements, in case anyone cares:

    Magtech .357 158gr SJSP, Ruger Speed Six with 2 3/4" barrel, ambient temperature about 1C. Muzzle velocities were about 350m/s (my notes are in my truck and I am not, but it was pretty closely thereabouts) fairly consistently. That's about 1150 fps at a temperature of about 34F. This Magtech load has a bit more felt recoil than other similar loads from Fiocchi, PPU, S&B.

    Magtech .38 Special +P 125gr SJSP, same gun, same conditions. Only one out of six shots registered on the chrono (I have to try that trick of leaving the shades off the next time), and that one was just a hair over 290m/s or 950 fps. Recoil felt very mild. Muzzle flash was hilarious - about twice that of the .357 round.
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

  3. #13
    Site Supporter 03RN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    New Hampshire
    I guess I may as well add some more data to compare and contrast different barrel lengths.

    M19-3 4"
    140gr xtp over 9gr unique
    1168 fps
    424 ft lbs

    125gr Remington sjhp
    1360 fps
    509 ft lbs

    M64-5 4"
    158gr tc hardcast over 5.2gr unique
    924 fps
    299 ft lbs

    130gr jsp over 6gr unique
    938 fps
    254 ft lbs

    Interesting that the Remington sjhp shot faster in my 2.75" gun than the 4".

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I guess I may as well add some more data to compare and contrast different barrel lengths.

    M19-3 4"
    140gr xtp over 9gr unique
    1168 fps
    424 ft lbs

    125gr Remington sjhp
    1360 fps
    509 ft lbs

    M64-5 4"
    158gr tc hardcast over 5.2gr unique
    924 fps
    299 ft lbs

    130gr jsp over 6gr unique
    938 fps
    254 ft lbs

    Interesting that the Remington sjhp shot faster in my 2.75" gun than the 4".
    The first thing that comes to mind is the cylinder gap. I've been using that Remington 125gr SJHP as my carry load for over 30 years now, and the only time I had a 4" chronograph that slow was my original 1986, blue GP100. It had a cylinder gap of .10, and chronographed about the same velocity as you show. I set the barrel back and it ran over 1400 fps. Every other 4" has been well over that. My current long term average with that load, four different 4" guns over a period of 25 years, 5 or 6 rounds per session, is 1442 fps ave over 94 rounds.

  5. #15
    Site Supporter 03RN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Quote Originally Posted by vtfarmer View Post
    The first thing that comes to mind is the cylinder gap. I've been using that Remington 125gr SJHP as my carry load for over 30 years now, and the only time I had a 4" chronograph that slow was my original 1986, blue GP100. It had a cylinder gap of .10, and chronographed about the same velocity as you show. I set the barrel back and it ran over 1400 fps. Every other 4" has been well over that. My current long term average with that load, four different 4" guns over a period of 25 years, 5 or 6 rounds per session, is 1442 fps ave over 94 rounds.
    Yeah, that was my first thought as well. The longer bullets must seal faster making it less of an issue

  6. #16
    Site Supporter 03RN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    New Hampshire
    M66-8 2.75"
    158gr over 11.5gr 2400 in .38 brass
    994 fps
    347 ft lbs

    M64-5 4"
    158gr over 11.5gr 2400
    1089 fps
    416 ft lbs

  7. #17
    Site Supporter
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    South Louisiana
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    M64-5 4"
    158gr over 11.5gr 2400
    1089 fps
    416 ft lbs
    FWIW, Alliant's max load for a 146-grain JHP (probably Speer's old one) is 9 grains in .38 Special +P.

  8. #18
    Site Supporter 03RN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    FWIW, Alliant's max load for a 146-grain JHP (probably Speer's old one) is 9 grains in .38 Special +P.
    Ill need to look where I found the 11.5 but it is something Ive seen as one of those long used loads published everywhere.

    No signs of pressure on the brass and they fell from the chambers very easily.

  9. #19
    Site Supporter
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    South Louisiana
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Ill need to look where I found the 11.5 but it is something Ive seen as one of those long used loads published everywhere.

    No signs of pressure on the brass and they fell from the chambers very easily.
    The most recent 2400 data I found in my pile of loading manuals is in Sierra's 5th edition with a 2003 copyright. It shows 10.3 grains as max with a 158-grain JHP. You're not going to blow the gun up, but you are stressing it.

    That load might have been used a lot back in the day, but those folks also thought 50 rounds was a big range session. Bullseye shooters went through a lot more ammo but it was lightly loaded.

  10. #20
    Site Supporter 03RN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    The most recent 2400 data I found in my pile of loading manuals is in Sierra's 5th edition with a 2003 copyright. It shows 10.3 grains as max with a 158-grain JHP. You're not going to blow the gun up, but you are stressing it.

    That load might have been used a lot back in the day, but those folks also thought 50 rounds was a big range session. Bullseye shooters went through a lot more ammo but it was lightly loaded.
    Im using lead so that should help

    I have no intention of loading a lot of these. It was more just for experimenting. Its good to know they shoot to poa. I had 3 rounds left after getting 12 rounds measured so I rang my 8" steal 30 yards away.

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •