Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: .357 velocity from a 2.75" barrel

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Dane View Post
    First off, thanks for the work and effort that you have put in to this.

Tell me more about your 170 SWCs. I think I read in another thread where you took a coyote with them? The reason I am interested is by June, hopefully, my daily carry is going to be a Wiley Clapp GP100 and I am going to need a woods load. I do a lot of rucking and I'm apt to stop on the way home to do so. One of the areas I frequent has the opportunity of having feral hogs in my path. I have come upon them before and was able to smell and hear them before I had contact. I have full faith in a hard cast Keith style bullet. I'm just trying to make sure I want the 170s before I order 700 from Rimrock.
    I am disappointed they dont work in my m92. Besides that they shoot really well.

Not much more to say. I really like them. @ 1200fps they have a good thump but are not painful and I can shoot 6 pretty quick and dont feel they recoil much harder than standard 158s. They shoot right to the tip of my front sight which is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I am disappointed they dont work in my m92. Besides that they shoot really well.

This gives me a sad because I full intend to be a beta tester for a Ruger produced Marlin 1894

Not much more to say. I really like them. @ 1200fps they have a good thump but are not painful and I can shoot 6 pretty quick and dont feel they recoil much harder than standard 158s. They shoot right to the tip of my front sight which is nice.

I like this^^ I have some 2400 and have some other powders that will work but I am going on a scavenger hunt to find me some AA#9.

Thanks, CD

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Dane View Post
    I like this^^ I have some 2400 and have some other powders that will work but I am going on a scavenger hunt to find me some AA#9.

Thanks, CD
    If you were looking for more velocity than I got with 2400 there was room for increasing it.

I think they're pretty interchangeable

If you were looking for more velocity than I got with 2400 there was room for increasing it.

I think they're pretty interchangeable
    I am fairly certain that Alliant uses unicorn horn and eye of dragon to make their powders. I loaded up a whole bunch of .44 Special and when I realized I was getting short on 2400, there was none to be had and this was way before the panic set in. I don't know why their products are so short in my area. I even had to switch my hunting rifle loads to from R15 to Varget last year. I do have a couple of places that get various powders in from Accurate that is why I think I can find a jug of #9. I keep hitting all of the web venders and signing up for in stock notifications looking for 2400.

2.75" barrel
    158gr XTP over 8.1gr BE-86
    1115 fps
    436 ft lbs

2.75" barrel
    158gr XTP over 13.5gr AA9
    1135 fps
    452 ft lbs

4"
    158gr XTP over 13.5gr AA9
    1103 fps
    426 ft lbs

4"
    158gr swc-wn over 8.1gr BE-86
    1187 fps
    494 ft lbs

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Thanks! I got some AA9 on the shelf needing a purpose in life.

The short barrel velocity is MORE on the XTP load???
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Thanks! I got some AA9 on the shelf needing a purpose in life.

The short barrel velocity is MORE on the XTP load???
    Yes, my M19 is slower on a few loads.

Shot the 14.1 gr AA9 load today.

1206fps
    510ft lbs

Left the m19 home because I was carrying my Blackhawk today. I only felt like hiking in with 2 guns in the ran today.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Yes, my M19 is slower on a few loads.

Shot the 14.1 gr AA9 load today.

1206fps
    510ft lbs

Left the m19 home because I was carrying my Blackhawk today. I only felt like hiking in with 2 guns in the ran today.
    Did you mention this load in a previous post or was it an additional work up from the 13.5gr? Sounds pretty hot. I like it! Good 28 load too I bet.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Did you mention this load in a previous post or was it an additional work up from the 13.5gr? Sounds pretty hot. I like it! Good 28 load too I bet.
    I didn't Chrono the step in-between. I was just checking for pressure. 14.1 is over max per some but not all.
    Name:  Screenshot_20210725-174720.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  27.3 KB
    Name:  Screenshot_20210725-174541.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  28.4 KB

User Tag List