Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shockwave competition comparison - granted a stupid question

Site Supporter

Shockwave competition comparison - granted a stupid question

I am not interested in such a gun. I own a Winchester 1300 stocked gun and took classes with it from Tom Givens and Steve Moses. I ran it in our local TX club match shotgun stages.

I still read posts about Shockwaves and the LGS was selling a bunch. I previously asked about agencies using them.

So my question is whether anybody has done an empirical test of running one of them through a realistic training or match setup as compared to a standard gun?

Site Supporter
    The guys at inrangetv did a comparison a couple of years ago.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    I am not interested in such a gun. I own a Winchester 1300 stocked gun and took classes with it from Tom Givens and Steve Moses. I ran it in our local TX club match shotgun stages.

I still read posts about Shockwaves and the LGS was selling a bunch. I previously asked about agencies using them.

So my question is whether anybody has done an empirical test of running one of them through a realistic training or match setup as compared to a standard gun?
    Not match, but I have put myself on the clock using one against a typical stocked shotgun. I found that for every task...single targets from a low ready, transitioning between targets, etc...it took me 2x or more as long to use the Shockwave with a green laser as using a stocked shotgun with proper sights.

A proper mount aligns the shotgun on target. Not having a stock prevents a proper mount, and the end result of that is predictable.

Everything is slower and more difficult to accomplish for even an expert with a shotgun.
    3/15/2016

Student
    I haven't seen a lot of his content, but I think Rhett Neumayer of Demonstrated Concepts might have some runs with a cruiser-type shotgun on his YouTube channel.

Rhett from Demonstrated Concepts has been pushing a lot of effort into the Shockwave-style guns, and with good effect. We had him in class back in March, and he damn near earned a coin with his Birdshead-gripped 1301 "Trashcannon", as he calls it. He doesn't use them in the traditional fashion, i.e. from the hip, but brings the sights up into line with a cheek weld against the shockwave grip, and a custom-made hand strap. I thought it was goofy when I first saw it, but results don't lie, and he makes it work as well as a stocked gun.

Now, that said, while I am convinced that Rhett has made it work, I'm not 100% convinced it's worth the squeeze for a general use purpose for your average Joe. Rhett does a lot of traveling, and for cramped quarters and going across multiple state lines, his setup makes a lot of sense both practically and legally compared to a conventionally-stocked SBS. IF you are committed enough to put in the work to make such a specialized setup effective, it's proven that it can be done. Whether you want to or need to is up to you and your individual circumstances. The stock does more than just stabilize the gun during firing, it also acts as a stabilization lever when doing one-handed manipulations and loading. Rhett's hand strap helps with that, for sure.

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    Rhett from Demonstrated Concepts has been pushing a lot of effort into the Shockwave-style guns, and with good effect. We had him in class back in March, and he damn near earned a coin with his Birdshead-gripped 1301 "Trashcannon", as he calls it. He doesn't use them in the traditional fashion, i.e. from the hip, but brings the sights up into line with a cheek weld against the shockwave grip, and a custom-made hand strap. I thought it was goofy when I first saw it, but results don't lie, and he makes it work as well as a stocked gun.

Now, that said, while I am convinced that Rhett has made it work, I'm not 100% convinced it's worth the squeeze for a general use purpose for your average Joe. Rhett does a lot of traveling, and for cramped quarters and going across multiple state lines, his setup makes a lot of sense both practically and legally compared to a conventionally-stocked SBS. IF you are committed enough to put in the work to make such a specialized setup effective, it's proven that it can be done. Whether you want to or need to is up to you and your individual circumstances. The stock does more than just stabilize the gun during firing, it also acts as a stabilization lever when doing one-handed manipulations and loading. Rhett's hand strap helps with that, for sure.

Rhett is my host in CO. and has been with me for a while. The shit he can do with weird guns and unusual equipment is pretty damn impressive.

...Now, that said, while I am convinced that Rhett has made it work, I'm not 100% convinced it's worth the squeeze for a general use purpose for your average Joe. Rhett does a lot of traveling, and for cramped quarters and going across multiple state lines, his setup makes a lot of sense both practically and legally compared to a conventionally-stocked SBS. IF you are committed enough to put in the work to make such a specialized setup effective, it's proven that it can be done. Whether you want to or need to is up to you and your individual circumstances. The stock does more than just stabilize the gun during firing, it also acts as a stabilization lever when doing one-handed manipulations and loading. Rhett's hand strap helps with that, for sure.

I became interested in them when I realized shooting a normal stocked shotgun was pretty much a no-go for me because of a pretty messed up shoulder. I tried a shockwave, it wasnt uncomfortable to shoot, hands extended to see the sights. Ages ago I had a cut down single barrel 12 ga somebody had cut to the legal limit, it wasnt difficult to hit cans in the air with. I handled the shockwave the same, it doesnt hurt to shoot, and in vehicles and traveling were primary reasons I wanted a shotgun. No, its not the best all around choice if you can shoot normal stocked shotguns, but at this point thats not an option for me, so whatever time differences there may be are pretty meaningless.

Like was mentioned when this came up a while back, they seem to shoot about a foot higher than you expect at 10-15 yards. I think Ill have a shorty ramp front sight put on it so it hits closer to expected point of impact. otherwise, Im satisfied so far.

Edit: I usually like much of Ians stuff, but the above video (post No 2) left me scratching my head. Words to the effect of; "The shockwave uses a raptor grip, which most say is much better than the horrid pistol grips. we dont have one, so we'll use this pistol gripped gun and call it a good comparison, oh, and we wont really work with it much beforehand, just dive in and call it good". Maybe I missed some of it, as i skipped through some, but that stuck with me and sort of soured me on the vid.
    Last edited by Malamute; 07-29-2021 at 04:06 PM.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

This has been my experience with PGO/BH shotguns, and close inspection always showed that the real reason was that they look cool. Others might have more justification.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    I .Edit: I usually like much of Ians stuff, but the above video (post No 2) left me scratching my head. Words to the effect of; "The shockwave uses a raptor grip, which most say is much better than the horrid pistol grips. we dont have one, so we'll use this pistol gripped gun and call it a good comparison, oh, and we wont really work with it much beforehand, just dive in and call it good". Maybe I missed some of it, as i skipped through some, but that stuck with me and sort of soured me on the vid.
    I has forgotten about that part of the video and didn’t rewatch it when I posted. As someone who doesn’t like pistol grips on full stocked shotguns (like the benelli) due to the way they direct recoil into the wrist/arm I could see how a birdshead grip would make a difference with the shockwave type weapons even though I haven’t shot the two side by side to compare.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Rhett is a bad ass, and has a very high level of skill. I would be terrified to do those drills with full power Brenneke slugs.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List