Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reloads from concealment and consistency

Reloads from concealment and consistency

I dropped off practicing my reloads AT ALL for a maybe half a year. I mean, I reload the gun when its empty, but I wasnt doing any dry, wasnt doing any dedicated and analysed live fire, and really didnt care too much. Before then on the not tight shots ( 7 yard A zones) I was consistent at the 1.95-2.05 range . Now, Im all over the place. Im running anywhere from 1.90-2.40 . I wouldn't mind too much if the swing wasnt so damn large ! Half a second !
    So, Im jumping back into adding reloads to something I practice a reasonable amount of time , maybe once a week dry and add 20 dedicated reps on the timer live per week.

I feel like my issue is in indexing on clearing the shirt and indexing on the mag, but I could be wrong. Feedback is welcome.

Here's 2 videos from the last month.

In this one Im running 1-R-1
    Total times/reloads
    3.34/2.11
    3.38/1.91
    3.12/1.92
    which seems more in line after some dry fire practice this week

cant seem to make it play embeded ?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0l1bK...ature=youtu.be
    Last edited by Shawn.L; 06-23-2012 at 03:48 PM.
    Pittsburgh, PA host for www.aliastraining.com , and www.shivworks.com

www.anti-fragile.net

and here the same from last week prior

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBtvH...feature=relmfu

I didnt catch any of the really nasty 2.30-2.40 ones , I think I did 10 1-R-1 today and had one at 2.4

Techniques for the reload from CC ?
    Last edited by Shawn.L; 06-23-2012 at 03:48 PM.

www.anti-fragile.net

Could the mag carrier at 8:00 slow you down? I am assuming you have the mag carrier located there because of the knife along your waistline. I prefer mag carrier at 11:00.

Quote Originally Posted by KravPirate View Post
    Could the mag carrier at 8:00 slow you down? I am assuming you have the mag carrier located there because of the knife along your waistline. I prefer mag carrier at 11:00.
    yes. One reason I stopped practicing reloads was because I barely ever carry one (and I always have a blade) . When I do carry one, thats where it goes, and when I shoot matches Im in Production USPSA and in IDPA both stipulate mags must be behind the 9 O'clock. Mainly I enjoy USPSA (although Ive made ery few matches this year due to time constraints ) and in that game if Im standing still reloading at slide lock Ive already lost that stage. Of course that logic led to my first match this year having the qualifier stage have me do a stationary reload on the clock (although not from slide lock) and while I raped the shooting portion with a ban-saw I tried to shove my mag in sideways

www.anti-fragile.net

Just wondering if you know why you turn your head to the side when the magazine is coming up? I noticed it in most your clips to a greater or lesser degree. Might have something to do with the variable time, since I assume doing that adds time for reorienting your head/eyes toward the target.

To me it looks like you're slow getting the mag seated, and then in turn dropping the slide and getting your support hand grip... but it's definitely a "relatively" slow.

To be honest you look good to me brother, I'd just keep getting some more solid reps in if I was you. Keep perfecting that muscle memory and try and slowly push the speed envelope.

Also, IMO I'm not sure of the 8 o'clock mag issue is slowing you down too much. It looks to me like you're getting a solid speedy index.
    I train to be better than I was yesterday. -F2S

We are diminished
    A sub-2 reload from under a closed front garment is good.

The biggest mistake I see people make when they do a lot of 1R1 is that they don't establish their grip adequately after the reload. Not seeing that here. On the third run, though, you are late closing your thumbs, doing it as the gun goes forward.

You're very inconsistent about where you drive your weak hand to the belt line to access the mag. So it's drive, search, grab... It should just be drive & grab. That eats time. Believe me, I know. It's one of the biggest weaknesses in my personal technique.

You're not stabilizing the gun (leaving it one place & orientation in space) which adds time to the insertion. The extent of this varies from reload to reload. It's far more obvious in the first (slowest) run.

Off topic from the discussion of the vids but on topic to the title - I have begun experimenting with reloading lower - much lower, and shaded a bit towards the "off" side after watching Vogel and Stoeger vids of the blazing FAST runs. Consistent 2.00-2.10 turned into consistent 1.69-1.77. And this is with 1R1 and 1R2 with hits to a high prob target.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    A sub-2 reload from under a closed front garment is good.

The biggest mistake I see people make when they do a lot of 1R1 is that they don't establish their grip adequately after the reload. Not seeing that here. On the third run, though, you are late closing your thumbs, doing it as the gun goes forward.

You're very inconsistent about where you drive your weak hand to the belt line to access the mag. So it's drive, search, grab... It should just be drive & grab. That eats time. Believe me, I know. It's one of the biggest weaknesses in my personal technique.

You're not stabilizing the gun (leaving it one place & orientation in space) which adds time to the insertion. The extent of this varies from reload to reload. It's far more obvious in the first (slowest) run.
    I thought it was during the acquiring the spare mag stage, but it was just a feeling. Prob has a lot to do with not working reloads much, and when I do my mag pouch clips on and so it is likely a little bit off here of there from one session to the next. I'll try switching to a tek-lock and keep it (the primary, or first mag) in one place. When Im shooting USPSA mostly Im reloading on the move, and thats where most of my reloads are and Im sweeping back to that next mag.

I'll look more at the stabilizing part as well.

Im not on the search for the 1.5 from CC , Im happy with sub 2 , I just want the consistency .

www.anti-fragile.net

Quote Originally Posted by vandal View Post
    Just wondering if you know why you turn your head to the side when the magazine is coming up? I noticed it in most your clips to a greater or lesser degree. Might have something to do with the variable time, since I assume doing that adds time for reorienting your head/eyes toward the target.
    I'll re-check that . I think it may be exaggerated by camera angel , as Im looking at the mag well and the gun and mag come together left of center slightly.

www.anti-fragile.net

User Tag List