Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Adapting a 10/22 for my son

I just found this chasis by Taccom

https://taccom3g.com/product/ulw-cha...er-10-22-22lr/

I'm seriously thinking about getting one for my iron sight 10/22 because the chasis by itself is only 12.2oz which is crazy light; it will end up a bit heavier once you factor in the pistol grip, stock tube and stock.

Interesting it takes a standard AR buffer tube but you can get their stock with it with the shortest LOP being 10.375"

The stock on the stainless carbine model is quite short and fit my 7 yo well. Might keep an eye out for a take off.

Thanks for the tips, guys.

The stock I have now is a discontinued model, that the forearm folds down, releases a clamp and allows the barrel to be removed without tools. I have a cheap simmons scope on it with Leupold QD rings. It breaks down into a fairly tidy package. I put it together years ago, well before the take-down model was introduced. In light of that, I don't want to modify that stock. I don't even know where the laminated factory stock is, so no chance of modifying it.

What I've decided on is to configure an upper that's sitting on the side with a BCM rail, and an Eotech XPS sight. I already have a new conversion kit and about ten mags, that's been sitting in a box for years. I've got alot of plated 22 which shouldn't foul up the bore. The AR configuration will allow for a pistol grip, which his hands will work easier with, and a short LOP due to the collapsing stock. The shorter XPS sight will suit his head size better and allow him to focus on aiming, and pulling the trigger. Later we'll move on to a variable sight, and he will have to manage eye relief and those nuances. But for now, "put the red dot on the target and pull the trigger". I'm not worried about weight, as the only place I can take him shooting right now is the public range, so bench or prone shooting only. We're only humping this from the truck to the bench.

And most of all, his rifle will look like Daddy's. Which means alot to the kid.

I'm actually headed to the bench to start this conversion, in a few

I chopped a wood stock off and made a butt plate out of kydex for my 9 y/o son and did the axiom stock and Tac Sol barrel for my 7 y/o daughter. Both used that set up for Rimfire (steel) challenge.

Site Supporter
    Not a 10/22 but my LGS got one of these in yesterday:

https://www.keystonesportingarmsllc....in-rifle-only/

It’s a cricket bolt gun fixed up like a mini Mosin Nagsnt.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    Attachment 63275

I've got this old single shot that I just cut some off the stock with a hack saw. It's not pretty but a bunch of kids learned on it.
    My two learned on a Marlin 15YN. First one did fine with the factory irons, second could barely understand the theory of them, let alone put it into practice. I put a nice little fixed 4x (Weaver? Redfield? Something like that - it’s been in the back of the safe for years) on it and he learned well enough that when a nice gentleman at the range let him try his micro .223 bolt action, he hit the 100yd gong with all three rounds. When I put his scrawny little butt on a scoped 6.8 AR carbine for his first hunt, he was shooting very good groups from his first time on the rifle.

And now he never shoots anything. Sigh. At least he doesn’t chase girls. It would be terrible if I ever had to become a grandfather.

Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    Attachment 63275

I've got this old single shot that I just cut some off the stock with a hack saw. It's not pretty but a bunch of kids learned on it.
    My kids learned on a single shot Cricket. I am teaching my Grandkids with a single shot Savage Rascal. I will introduce them to the 10/22 when it fits them. I find it easier to teach marksmanship with a single shot. The .243 comes out when it's time for them to harvest their first deer.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    My two learned on a Marlin 15YN. First one did fine with the factory irons, second could barely understand the theory of them, let alone put it into practice. I put a nice little fixed 4x (Weaver? Redfield? Something like that - it’s been in the back of the safe for years) on it and he learned well enough that when a nice gentleman at the range let him try his micro .223 bolt action, he hit the 100yd gong with all three rounds. When I put his scrawny little butt on a scoped 6.8 AR carbine for his first hunt, he was shooting very good groups from his first time on the rifle.

And now he never shoots anything. Sigh. At least he doesn’t chase girls. It would be terrible if I ever had to become a grandfather.
    About 20 years ago I bought my daughter a Marlin 15YN. I had to cut the stock down 1 1/2 or two inches. She didn’t get iron sights either so I scoped it and she enjoyed shooting it. When she got older I got a new stock for it. If I get grandchildren I’ll start them out on it.

I bought an XPS; just waiting for it to arrive. We'll shoot steel, and his instruction will be, "put the dot on the target and pull the trigger" I think the best thing for my son's personality is to let him have fun. And fun will be seeing swingers, swing. We can get technical later. Right now I just want him to have a blast

I think a semi and a eotech that's forgiving in window size, fov, and head position will get us having more fun, sooner

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    I bought an XPS; just waiting for it to arrive. We'll shoot steel, and his instruction will be, "put the dot on the target and pull the trigger" I think the best thing for my son's personality is to let him have fun. And fun will be seeing swingers, swing. We can get technical later. Right now I just want him to have a blast

I think a semi and a eotech that's forgiving in window size, fov, and head position will get us having more fun, sooner
    Fun times for sure. Some nifty targets out there for kids. One I remember had flies of all different sizes printed randomly all over the paper. Working on accuracy while still keeping it fun.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

User Tag List