Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ruger GP100MC Novak Sight Replacement

Site Supporter

Ruger GP100MC Novak Sight Replacement

Although I'm generally a Smith & Wesson guy, I find myself shooting, and liking, a Ruger GP100MC more and more: https://ruger.com/products/gp100Matc...eets/1754.html. It shoots well, the trigger is good, and it's built like a tank. That said, I found some deficiencies with the OEM sights. The OEM Novak rear sight is not adjustable. The OEM Novak fiber optic front sight fiber diameter was too big for my preference - think big green blob. So, I set off to fix these issues.

First, I replaced the OEM Novak with an elevation-adjustable Novak:

Name:  Ruger GP100MC Novak rear sight label.jpg
Views: 633
Size:  37.8 KB

Name:  Ruger GP100MC Novak rear sight.jpg
Views: 647
Size:  41.4 KB

The front sight was a bit more problematic. I first tried a Novak brass bead: https://www.novaksights.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=1100669. This just wasn't visible enough for my taste. Internet searches for "fiber optic Ruger GP100MC front sight" were mostly fruitless. I finally called Dawson and asked for their advice. Dawson suggested that given the Ruger GP100MC uses a standard Novak front sight dovetail cut, this would work: https://dawsonprecision.com/novak-cu...-front-sights/. I went with the .265 x .100. With just a bit of filing, I was able to drift the Dawson into place. I now have elevation adjustment and a cleaner, more visible sight picture. More better. From the Big Empty, ELN.

Here's the progression left to right - OEM Novak fiber optic, Novak brass bead, Dawson fiber optic:

Name:  Ruger GP100MC front sights comparison.jpg
Views: 718
Size:  33.1 KB

Dawson replacement:

Name:  Ruger GP100MC Dawson front sight label.jpg
Views: 626
Size:  51.9 KB

Dawson installed:

Name:  Ruger GP100MC Dawson front sight installed.jpg
Views: 598
Size:  21.1 KB

New sight picture:

Name:  Ruger GP100MC sight picture.jpg
Views: 646
Size:  22.9 KB

Thanks for the info!
    I was planning on replacing the front on my Wiley Clapp GP100 with a Dawson Precision, I dident know that Novak made a adjustable rear.
    It was one of my gripes with the gun as the vertical POI between different ammunition was quite dramatic.

Whoa. I didn't know there was a Dawson option.

I'm satisfied with the Novak tritium that I have in there now but it's good to know there might be other options.

[QUOTE=Wyoming Shooter;1142057]Although I'm generally a Smith & Wesson guy, I find myself shooting, and liking, a Ruger GP100MC more and more: https://ruger.com/products/gp100Matc...eets/1754.html. It shoots well, the trigger is good, and it's built like a tank. That said, I found some deficiencies with the OEM sights. The OEM Novak rear sight is not adjustable. The OEM Novak fiber optic front sight fiber diameter was too big for my preference - think big green blob. So, I set off to fix these issues.

First, I replaced the OEM Novak with an elevation-adjustable Novak:

Name:  Ruger GP100MC Novak rear sight label.jpg
Views: 633
Size:  37.8 KB

Name:  Ruger GP100MC Novak rear sight.jpg
Views: 647
Size:  41.4 KB

The front sight was a bit more problematic. I first tried a Novak brass bead: https://www.novaksights.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=1100669. This just wasn't visible enough for my taste. Internet searches for "fiber optic Ruger GP100MC front sight" were mostly fruitless. I finally called Dawson and asked for their advice. Dawson suggested that given the Ruger GP100MC uses a standard Novak front sight dovetail cut, this would work: https://dawsonprecision.com/novak-cu...-front-sights/. I went with the .265 x .100. With just a bit of filing, I was able to drift the Dawson into place. I now have elevation adjustment and a cleaner, more visible sight picture. More better. From the Big Empty, ELN.

Thanks for sharing this post! My GP100MC needs new sights and this will be the cure! I used to love the gold bead type front sights until I turned 54 and my eyesight started that aging thing....... have you looked at any springs kits to help smooth out that action? I use my GP100MC at IDPA and would like to smooth up that action a bit. I still want it to ignite any type of primer so I dont want some crazy light spring setup mandating federal primers only......
    Johnny Walker

I'm also using the adjustable Novak rear on my WC.

I chose to go with a front night sight with a colored ring which i believe is marked night fission despite being sold by Novak.

Great combo and i like it much better than the brass bead factory setup.

Name:  IMG_20200603_112911_895.jpg
Views: 574
Size:  45.1 KB
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

Quote Originally Posted by backtrail540 View Post

I chose to go with a front night sight with a colored ring which i believe is marked night fission despite being sold by Novak.
    Night Fission installs the lamps. The sight is still almost certainly Novak.

If you buy tritium sights from most places, including Dawson, they manufacture the actual sight and have a 3rd party install the tritium lamp.

I got a similarly marked Dawson tritium sight a few months ago. It turns out other people will get the same sights alternatively marked Trijicon, etc. I assume it just depends on who's available and has the equipment, nuclear regulatory compliance whatever, etc to handle the tritium.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Walker View Post
    ...Thanks for sharing this post! My GP100MC needs new sights and this will be the cure! I used to love the gold bead type front sights until I turned 54 and my eyesight started that aging thing....... have you looked at any springs kits to help smooth out that action? I use my GP100MC at IDPA and would like to smooth up that action a bit. I still want it to ignite any type of primer so I dont want some crazy light spring setup mandating federal primers only......
    I have not yet messed with the springs. My trigger is okay but, I sometimes can't leave well enough alone. Please let us know if you find something that works for you. Best, ELN.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming Shooter View Post
    I have not yet messed with the springs. My trigger is okay but, I sometimes can't leave well enough alone. Please let us know if you find something that works for you. Best, ELN.
    I strongly recommend the Wilson Combat spring kit. I use the 10lb mainspring for reliable ignition regardless of primer, coupled with the 9lb trigger return spring I get a pretty good trigger out of the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    I strongly recommend the Wilson Combat spring kit. I use the 10lb mainspring for reliable ignition regardless of primer, coupled with the 9lb trigger return spring I get a pretty good trigger out of the gun.

This is the combo I use as well.

Quote Originally Posted by backtrail540 View Post

Great combo and i like it much better than the brass bead factory setup.

Name:  IMG_20200603_112911_895.jpg
Views: 574
Size:  45.1 KB
    Oh wow. This just gets better and better.

https://www.novaksights.com/Detail.a...41438&CAT=9509

And by "better and better," I mean, "more harmful to my credit card."

User Tag List