Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Concealment Faux Pas

I've spotted a good few guns I wouldn't have noticed if the owner wasn't wearing desert boots, or a fishing vest or even a shiny knife clipped to a pocket.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

LOL! Is this some kind of frat boy thing? Or just something dudes try on short guys? I had a "belly poke" from a guy I don't know very well at a USPSA match maybe a year or two ago. My right snapped up and tapped him in the plexus. Not hard, but enough to get his attention. I thought it was fucking funny, and I got a good laugh out of it. Not sure he will do that again...

Quote Originally Posted by Artemas2 View Post
    ....belly pokes....I know wtf right?

At 130lbs I am not the pillsbury dough boy. The number of times a casual acquaintance has without warning reached out and poked me in the stomach
    or more often the slide of my gun has made me jumpy of anyone walking towards me.
    It is not a gesture I understand or even know why people do it.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    I'm reminded several times at the beginning of jacket season that I should exit my vehicle slowly to assess whether my jacket has returned to normal position from outside the seat belt position.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    Switched to AIWB to thwart the hugs/contact from kids I was coaching and their parents. Before that, I was all about the going low so they had to go high above my waist band and/or the off side push out.

I would also not that concealed means concealed in most applications. it does not mean invisible to the naked trained eye at 1 meter.

IMHO CFPS are first and best avoided by carrying in a purpose build/model specific holster mated to a purpose built/width specific belt and wearing a cover garment that covers but is not a tent.

I too try to be the grey man re shoes/and visible knife clips.

I try to cross my right ankle over my left knee. Sometimes depending on the pants just sitting down raises the hem enough to expose the bottom of my ankle holster.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    I too try to be the grey man re shoes/and visible knife clips.
    I try to be as "grey" as possible - even my hair is grey. One thing that bugs me about the grey man thing is the assertion that wearing trail running shoes is an absolute tell. I ran a trail race the weekend before last, have another coming up in three weeks, and COVID willing, have one in AZ in February. There's a section in trail shoes life between being too worn to run in and not worn enough to throw out, so they become knock-around shoes. So I wear them. While carrying, no less. And have yet to be kilt in da streetz.

Where I live, everybody, his brother, and his brother's dog, has a knife clipped in a front pocket. It's obviously a regional thing.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    I try to be as "grey" as possible - even my hair is grey. One thing that bugs me about the grey man thing is the assertion that wearing trail running shoes is an absolute tell. I ran a trail race the weekend before last, have another coming up in three weeks, and COVID willing, have one in AZ in February. There's a section in trail shoes life between being too worn to run in and not worn enough to throw out, so they become knock-around shoes. So I wear them. While carrying, no less. And have yet to be kilt in da streetz.

Where I live, everybody, his brother, and his brother's dog, has a knife clipped in a front pocket. It's obviously a regional thing.
    I'd be more suspicious of someone who didn't have a knife clipped to his pocket.

Thankfully, most everyone around these mountain parts wears cargo pants or cargo shorts and tees. No need to go through any changes to not stand out. (Not that I would...I like dressing for comfort and utility.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    LOL! Is this some kind of frat boy thing? Or just something dudes try on short guys? I had a "belly poke" from a guy I don't know very well at a USPSA match maybe a year or two ago. My right snapped up and tapped him in the plexus. Not hard, but enough to get his attention. I thought it was fucking funny, and I got a good laugh out of it. Not sure he will do that again...
    I had no idea this was a thing.

If you carry strong side, the classic platonic side-hug is a danger. As you guys noted less an issue with aiwb unless you’re walking around spooning people who don’t already know you’re armed.

Bending weird can be a tell. Odd one-leg-out squatting positions. Can potentially groan and play off that old sports injury while rubbing your back or knee.

Picking at your shirt - pulling or tugging to confirm concealment. Another benefit of aiwb is I can look like I’m adjusting my junk which is just rude and encourages people to look away. Also, here in OK it’s windy a lot, and I can put my hands in my pockets casually (fingers in, thumb out... #phrasing) and pin my garment with my forearm and even tactically confirm gun placement while sorta blocking the spot I print most - the heel of the grip — from view.

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    Depends with whom.

Little kids will basically jump on you
    I was leaned back in a recliner, not laying down but sorta flopped back, and my young daughter ran up and flopped face first into my lap, as kids are prone to do — bam, busted her lip on my AIWB carried pistol (I think it was a P30 at the time). Of course this was in front of company. Thankfully they weren’t the type to be upset over it.
    Last edited by LOKNLOD; 11-16-2020 at 02:47 PM.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post

"Grey man" shouldn't be "never wear X". The idea is to blend in with the local norm, whatever that is.

John McPhee found this out while doing a story on long-haul truckers, "A Fleet of One."
    -------------------------------
    "...My identity in truck stops was at first another matter. Hatless, in short-sleeved shirts, black pants, and plain leather shoes, I had imagined I would be as nondescript as I always am. But I was met everywhere with puzzled glances. Who is that guy? What's he selling? What's he doing here? It was bad enough out by the fuel pumps, but indoors, in the cafes and restaurants, I felt particularly self-conscious sitting under the block-lettered signs that said "TRUCK DRIVERS ONLY."

So, a little desperate and surprisingly inspired, I bought a cap. Not just any cap. I picked one with a bright-gold visor, a gold button at the top, a crown of navy blue, an American flag on the left temple, and -on the forehead emblem -- a spread-winged-eagle over a rising sun and a red-and-green tractor-trailer and the white letters "AMERICA - SPIRIT OF FREEDOM." One the back, over my cerebellum, was a starred banner in blue, white, red, gold and green that said "CARNESVILLE, GA PETRO." I put on that cap and disappeared. The glances died like flies. I could sit anywhere, from Carnesville to Tacoma."

User Tag List