Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Concealment Faux Pas

Concealment Faux Pas

We all know the obvious things that can betray concealment: shirt lifting and becoming totally uncovered, printing or even having the weapon fall out of place and hit the floor (I don't many in this group have suffered the last one). But there are other concealment faux pas that are not quite as obvious and can only be learned through experience or training. I am hoping the group could share some of their often-not-considered points in this regard.

I'll start: concealment compromised by banging into something with the holstered weapon - that clank sound that can only come from one hard object hitting another. I do this occasionally going through a door, so I've become a little more mindful of it.

What else do we need to remain mindful of?

Hugs.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    Hugs.
    Who're you hugging if you're pelvis-to-pelvis with them? If it's not my wife, I don't hug anyone that way.
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Site Supporter
    Hugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Who're you hugging if you're pelvis-to-pelvis with them? If it's not my wife, I don't hug anyone that way.
    Where I live, hugs are common among opposite-sex friends. I'm 6'1". If I hug a lady who's 5'1", there's a good chance her arm will brush my IWB-holstered pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    @revchuck38 response applies. I'm 6'3" and everyone else in my family is much shorter than I.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Possibly worse with AIWB carry?

"Is that a 1911 in your pants or are you just happy to see me?"

Hugs.
    Yeah I got a story about that one. In 2003 my brother and I were on a road trip, and stopped to see my grandparents in Arizona. When we left, my grandma gave us both a hug goodbye. I angled my body so she wouldn't bump my handgun, but my brother had recently turned 21 and so hadn't been carrying for long. He didn't think about or know that it might not be a good idea not to let grandma know he was strapped, and apparently she got a big handful of handgun when she hugged him. She didn't say anything about it at the time, so I didn't realize anything had happened. Later, she called my dad about it. The kicker? She was fine with him carrying per se, but she was just concerned that he wasn't open carrying, since she didn't realize CCW was legal in Arizona.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    Possibly worse with AIWB carry?

"Is that a 1911 in your pants or are you just happy to see me?"
    Depends with whom.

Little kids will basically jump on you, so no one form of concealment is undiscoverable. Some relatives will be "enthusiastic", especially with the various lockdowns and it may have been months since you saw them and that makes things difficult no matter where you carry. With most friends, depending on relative height, AIWB helps as its mostly the shoulders and upper chest that touch, but sides and back are exposed.

I like doing a handshake mixed with an "abrazo" as your arm covers the weapon.

Site Supporter
    Hugs.
    Fight for underhooks.

....belly pokes....I know wtf right?

At 130lbs I am not the pillsbury dough boy. The number of times a casual acquaintance has without warning reached out and poked me in the stomach
    or more often the slide of my gun has made me jumpy of anyone walking towards me.
    It is not a gesture I understand or even know why people do it.

On a more practical level I moved my wallet to my opposite rear pocket. Often my shirt will noticeably bunch or print on the grip as I move my strong arm behind my hip.

User Tag List